UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Shiroi Hane said:
Jerome is clearly fed up with Aniplex after the likes of SAO (multiple volumes, no complete collection in sight, being forced to change covers partway through the run etc...)

Rui said:
The folks at MVM are very down to earth, I'm sure a regular edition (sorry, I read SE as special edition...)
That's been annoying me recently.

TBH thats why I just buy the DVD of SAO. I don't agree with splitting it up into four parts. It's clearly out of control of UK publishers, someone is making some serious money from the franchise but I doubt its Manga or Anime Ltd.

crashmatt said:
TBH thats why I just buy the DVD of SAO. I don't agree with splitting it up into four parts. It's clearly out of control of UK publishers, someone is making some serious money from the franchise but I doubt its Manga or Anime Ltd.

I was actuallly on the point of considering laying down cash for the SAO DVDs a while back, just to ssee what the fuss was about. To be honest, though, I find the four part release model an absolute joke. I know it's out of the hands of UK distributors, but come on. Our market here in the UK isn't that big. It's a strategy that deserves to fail long term.

Are the animators seeing any benefit in their wages from this pricing, I wonder?

black1blade said:
The people who are seeing the benefit is the executives. Studios and animators get paid while the show is being made.

Which is actually my point.
(Friendly reminder: I work in a creative industry. So I have an inkling of where the money goes.)

So I was about to get Eccentric Family and read on the box it has non-removabke subtitles (and I checked the NISA release has non removable subitles). While I am aware the series is sub only wouldn't this be considered a deal breaker for some?

I can't imagine why you'd want to watch it sub-less. If you're fluent in Japanese maybe? I imagine it's meant to be a deal break for any Japanese people looking to reverse import.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I can't imagine why you'd want to watch it sub-less. If you're fluent in Japanese maybe? I imagine it's meant to be a deal break for any Japanese people looking to reverse import.

Ah I see. I just found it odd how many sub only releases of not just anime but foreign movies have removable subs and this particular one is the exception

Yeah, it doesn't happen too often but when it does, I imagine that's the reason. If you ever see a release that's dub only, reverse importation is often the cause of that too.

Might be worth asking somebody who buys it and isn't bothered by forced subtitles to check.

There's no menu option to remove the subs from Nisemonogatari, but you can do it via remote. So maybe MVM have done the same thing here.

britguy said:
ilmaestro said:
Hard subs ****es me off something fierce.

Why is that?
IL is correct, I watch my anime without subtitles. But even if I didn't, lacking the option to remove them for the purposes of screenshots or any other random reason would also upset me. Feels very anti-consumer.

:wink:
ilmaestro said:
britguy said:
ilmaestro said:
Hard subs ****es me off something fierce.

Why is that?
IL is correct, I watch my anime without subtitles. But even if I didn't, lacking the option to remove them for the purposes of screenshots or any other random reason would also upset me. Feels very anti-consumer.

Cant say i have any issue with non removeable subs, but as always it is a case of each to their own :)

It's obnoxious because subtitles which can be disabled are one of the great features of BD/DVD. Forcing them onto the video tells the viewer they're a lesser valued customer than the Japanese audience and makes it impossible to enjoy the clean video properly. I already lived through the VHS era with its inherent limitations; I don't really want to go back.

It also causes all kinds of usability issues, for example with those discs where you have to pick audio+sub combos (dub + no subs, original audio + subs) and then you can't watch the dub with subtitles on for people with poor hearing. Or they fail at disc authoring and you can't switch freely during playback.

It's just a lame way to treat customers. I'd rather pay more and get an unmangled version of the show without arbitrary restrictions. If there's no choice I'll choose to buy the locked subtitle version or import from Japan depending on the show, but as the home video market shrinks and goes for pricier editions this kind of treatment is going to have to stop if they want collectors to value their products.

(The most insulting thing is Ponycan USA's expensive releases having locked subtitles. Really? Nobody is going to reverse import those that isn't already buying locally too.)

R

Rui said:
(The most insulting thing is Ponycan USA's expensive releases having locked subtitles. Really? Nobody is going to reverse import those that isn't already buying locally too.)
Wow, lol. Didn't know about that. "Takes the cake" is the phrase that comes to mind.

Back