UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

As Doctor said we're getting the same discs as the US set and the set itself is a port of the AUS set so it'll likely be close to what that set's cost. It has been the same with other CE sets that MVM ported over, A Lull in the Sea, Eccentric Family etc.

DragonBlaze67 said:
As Doctor said we're getting the same discs as the US set and the set itself is a port of the AUS set so it'll likely be close to what that set's cost. It has been the same with other CE sets that MVM ported over, A Lull in the Sea, Eccentric Family etc.

Might sound dumg, but why does this release have 4 discs since its 12 eps, is it 2 bds and 2 dvds or are there a boat load of extras ?

windcott said:
DragonBlaze67 said:

Might sound dumg, but why does this release have 4 discs since its 12 eps, is it 2 bds and 2 dvds or are there a boat load of extras ?

Three of the episodes (Episode 00, Episode 01 & Episode 12) are double-length. Effectively meaning the total runtime would be around the equivalent of 16 episodes. Aniplex likes to stretch their shows across multiple discs to keep the Japanese quality.

windcott said:
DragonBlaze67 said:

I think they're just going for the "more discs=better video quality" thing, like the Japanese sets are 6 discs?

britguy said:
windcott said:
DragonBlaze67 said:

I think they're just going for the "more discs=better video quality" thing, like the Japanese sets are 6 discs?

Yeah 5 BDs and 1 CD

britguy said:
windcott said:
DragonBlaze67 said:

Does it actually make a difference in terms of Video Quality though ?

ilmaestro said:
lacking the option to remove them for the purposes of screenshots or any other random reason would also upset me. Feels very anti-consumer.
It is worth mentioning that most (if not all) BD playback software won't let you take screenshots anyway? Any workaround *cough*AnyDVD*cough* for that should also let you remove UPOPs as well.

Rui said:
It's obnoxious because subtitles which can be disabled are one of the great features of BD/DVD. Forcing them onto the video tells the viewer they're a lesser valued customer than the Japanese audience and makes it impossible to enjoy the clean video properly.
Well, we are a lesser valued customer.

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
It's obnoxious because subtitles which can be disabled are one of the great features of BD/DVD. Forcing them onto the video tells the viewer they're a lesser valued customer than the Japanese audience and makes it impossible to enjoy the clean video properly.
Well, we are a lesser valued customer.

We are sometimes, yes. However it's not a very consistent approach when at the same time they're relentlessly pushing for the overseas market to come in line with Japan and focus on premium versions at a much higher price than before. I have no real argument against locked subtitles on a £10 full series release because you're getting an amazing deal anyway, but when they're cropping up in sets aimed squarely at hardcore collectors all they're achieving is making people wary of official releases. At least having the decency to put the existing foreign translations on the Japanese discs would make people feel as though they had more options.

And as with most of the measures intended to discourage reverse importing, I'm still not convinced that locked subtitles are even especially effective. It's enormously distracting to have subtitles you don't intend to read appearing on the screen, sure, but if someone can't justify the higher prices they're generally willing to start making compromises and/or finding workarounds too.

R

Rui said:
And as with most of the measures intended to discourage reverse importing, I'm still not convinced that locked subtitles are even especially effective. It's enormously distracting to have subtitles you don't intend to read appearing on the screen, sure, but if someone can't justify the higher prices they're generally willing to start making compromises and/or finding workarounds too.
Shh! I'm happy with them thinking locked subs is a deterrent if it prevents worse stuff like dub-only BDs.

I can't say anything about Season 2 but as far as I can tell, Season 1 appears to be missing an OVA. According to MAL there are 12 episodes of the first season and 4 OVAs but the episode count only goes up to 15 on the disc.

JhT1IsR.png

IncendiaryLemon said:
I can't say anything about Season 2 but as far as I can tell, Season 1 appears to be missing an OVA. According to MAL there are 12 episodes of the first season and 4 OVAs but the episode count only goes up to 15 on the disc.

JhT1IsR.png

There's 2 versions of Episode 12.

The Good Route and True Route.

The Good Route is at the end of Disc 2.
The True Route is the first OVA episode of four which is on Disc 3.

I know this because UK Anime Network did a video showing off the disc menus.

For anyone wondering, this is how the UBW Box set will look like, minus the fancy embossment, a thinner art box and probably logos all over the art box (Because it's MVM, gotta save dem papers).
But it seems theat they didn't put their MVM logo on the Eccentric Familiy's art box but the age restriction is still there.
lWjHsUM.png

But then again, they put their logo on the No Game No Life CE
81WgTWqFN1L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back