Manga Entertainment need to take a chill pill

Ian Wolf said:
Manga Enterainment have just posted a series of Tweets condemning illegal downloading. Of course, we wouldn't need to illegally download films, TV shows and anime if we could get by legal means - but that's what you get when you keep constantly cancelling releases resulting in no other option.

Makes me want to bring up this Tweet from 2 weeks ago

Joshawott said:
Ian Wolf said:
Manga Enterainment have just posted a series of Tweets condemning illegal downloading. Of course, we wouldn't need to illegally download films, TV shows and anime if we could get by legal means - but that's what you get when you keep constantly cancelling releases resulting in no other option.
Obviously we're supposed to buy the cancelled, unreleased legal releases That's basic (9.9).

Although in context, wasn't Jerome talking about WolvieGate?

I think Wolverine was the film in question.

As a point I don't think anyone "needs" to illegally download commercial entertainment. Manga are the people who think legally importing unavailable series is the same as piracy though, so I don't feel particularly inclined to defend them further than that!

R

Rui said:
As a point I don't think anyone "needs" to illegally download commercial entertainment. Manga are the people who think legally importing unavailable series is the same as piracy though, so I don't feel particularly inclined to defend them further than that!

R

Indeed.
One is an unfortunate off-shot of how fans obtained the content in a time when there wasn't companies to the degree where large scale distribution was possible.

The other is a direct result of them clowning around.

Ian Wolf said:
that's what you get when you keep constantly cancelling releases resulting in no other option.
You mean "that's what you get when you cancel one format for a few select series, resulting in having to buy the DVDs", right?

Shiroi Hane said:
Ian Wolf said:
that's what you get when you keep constantly cancelling releases resulting in no other option.
You mean "that's what you get when you cancel one format for a few select series, resulting in having to buy the DVDs", right?
If you don't up and decide to drop the series.

Shiroi Hane said:
Ian Wolf said:
We've already established that nobody "needs" to illegally download, but it's equally true that nobody "has" to switch to buying DVDs if they aren't given the option to buy on BD. I know I haven't been. I've been importing.

ilmaestro said:
But weirdly, you want them to give you loads of stuff for free.
I wanted them to give me what they had been giving me previously. Which is a season available on demand for as long as it's airing in Japan for the price of time watching a set of adverts every break.

Slight difference that is somewhat missed in the rush to call me out on daring to want better.

Well, it's most easily missed when I'm just looking for a glib, throwaway reply to your glib, throwaway link, but I do agree that your "point" in that thread is always in danger of being drowned out by your attitude. Which, as others have said, is a genuine shame.

Whoever tweets for Manga is incredibly unprofessional, they use it as their personal account rather than providing anything substantial.

I guess they might have the green light for it, by making themselves 'relatable' but they guy always comes off as kind of an ****.

It'd be nice if they provided incentives. Or even took a few risks. Say for example offer multi-play options similar to movie releases now. Give people the option of downloading a digital copy with a code provided in the set, nothing too DRM heavy, and the option of ether subs or dubs (if it's done via itunes i don't think it supports multiple tracks)

Throw in extras like ADV used to, like mini posters or prints.

My personal option would be putting their back catalog, especially out of print shows (assuming they still hold some sort of licence) on an ad supported, free streaming service. If i had the personal finances to back that up, it'd be my option.

...Sorry, got a little ranty for my first post.

Aegelward said:
Whoever tweets for Manga is incredibly unprofessional, they use it as their personal account rather than providing anything substantial.

I guess they might have the green light for it, by making themselves 'relatable' but they guy always comes off as kind of an ****.
According to them, anything tweeted from there is manga related.

My personal option would be putting their back catalog, especially out of print shows (assuming they still hold some sort of licence) on an ad supported, free streaming service. If i had the personal finances to back that up, it'd be my option.
Probably worth raising that up to Andrew instead for Anime On Demand.

Also just looked at Manga's Twitter and it appears that Manga still probably has DBZ.
https://twitter.com/#!/MangaUK/status/1 ... 9376083968

"Stay tooned"?...please tell me that was a mistake and not an awful pun.

Aegelward said:
How much extra would it cost them to just shove an A4 poster in the DVD case? Seriously...I know I buy the DVDs for the disc and not the extra, but an extra is nice.

And considering that PlanetAxel sell the US multiregional DVD/BD combi for only £5 more than what the DVD-only UK release would sell for, this is why I imported.

Joshawott said:
"Stay tooned"?...please tell me that was a mistake and not an awful pun.

Aegelward said:
How much extra would it cost them to just shove an A4 poster in the DVD case? Seriously...I know I buy the DVDs for the disc and not the extra, but an extra is nice.
They used to do exactly that. Early Manga DVD releases were really quite nicely packaged - Almost all in sideways slipcases sporting alternative artwork and a fold-out insert.

Manga aren't to blame for the declining quality of their packages - None of the UK or US distros are really. Consumers wanted things cheaper, so everything got cheaper. If too few people are willing to pay a premium for quality then it stops being offered as a choice (and uh, look what happened to ADV).

Oh yeah, i forgot to say... Manga's authoring of BDs could be improved.

Frequently their subtitles lack boarders (making them hard to see under certain circumstances), i would hope they could update the subtitles via BDlive to make them more readable.

Also... they are almost always unnamed, on PS3, simply showing up as BDMV and without a splash image. Surely it can't take much effort to add a little something like that.

Joshawott said:
To be fair, that's not really accurate...

You can order the DVD for £17.99 (with free postage) from Amazon, but the PlanetAxel is charging £26.63 (inc. postage, handling, customs and whatever else they're charging) for the BD/DVD.

For an almost-£9 difference, I think I'd rather just get the Manga DVD.

Back