UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread.

Joshawott said:
If I remember though, there are some MangaUK titles that we don't have dates for that have come out in the States, like Aria of the Scarlet Ammo. Looking at Kazé's website as well, it seems like the French are getting iiMardock Scramble: The Third Exhaustt/i] in June. Maybe we could get a little poke saying to expect it here later in the year? Or a poke on whether a Blue Exorcist dub boxset is coming or a release date for Kazé's iiMirai Nikkii/i]? (They did pick that one up for physical distribution didn't they? If not, that can be an announcement!).
France always gets these sorts of things quickly. They've got the second Berserk movie coming later this month so it's not exactly uncommon. As for the Third Exhaust, you can't really judge when it's going to come out as it depends on when Sentai are going to dub and release it, then you need to add at least another 3 months onto that for the UK date. I'd expect a Q4 release from Sentai or early next year at the latest, with a UK release to follow next year. The same applies to Mirai Nikki seeing as Funi have yet to announce a release date either.
Nothing can really be said about Blue Exorcist either since Aniplex have yet to re-release it, or even announce when they are going to do so.
Aria came out February 20th in Australia, so you need to add at least another three months before it lands here. I'd imagine it'll be released in July or August. To be honest I'm surprised Manga even bothered to pick it up. I've heard it's meant to be pretty naff.

Joshawott said:
Due to Comic Con being just around the corner, I doubt we'll see a huge list of new announcements as the biggest will probably be saved for Comic Con (I just hope they can confirm whether or not they are seriously looking into the possibility of a showing of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies later this year. It bugs the hell out of me that the UK was one of the only major countries not to receive one last year). Bakemonogatari seems like one that would be saved for something like that, as it is a pretty high profile release and one of the most requested I've seen.
I'm pretty sure Jerome has said before that Bakemonogatari was in the "too hard basket", then again Hanabee are releasing Bakemono/Nisemono in Australia, so they now could have access to DVD masters. (Why would you watch it on DVD though?)

Joshawott said:
In terms of new licenses though, I'd like to see Kokoro Connect and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions announced at some point, but they're both so recent that the earliest I can see them coming out here would be 2014 (6 months after final Japanese release for America, then another 3 months for UK). I'd love to see Beelzebub, but I doubt MangaUK will want to risk such a long series that they'd have to release as sub-only. Maybe Bunny Drop? If I remember correctly, in the past Jerome has spoke highly of the series, but I just wonder if something like that will sell (for the record, I'd totally love to see Wandering Son too, but not even the US has picked that one up). Is This A Zombie? might be a possible license. I also wouldn't mind knowing if MangaUK are going to try releasing Squid Girl season 2 as sub only or not.
Ditto on Chuunibyou, so long as it's not being released by Kaze. Is This A Zombie seems very likely, and you'll probably find that someone like Sentai will pick up and finish Squid Girl.

Joshawott said:
But really Manga, all you have to do is say the magic words "We will be rereleasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and K-ON! on blu-ray".
You'll probably find that a majority of the people that they pissed off with this, (myself included) have already imported at least one of the two, I have Madman's Haruhi BD, well worth the £30 I paid for it. I'm not overly fussed about K-On though since the BD has crappy audio for the JP track, and it's not going to get a BD release here since the DVD release sold poorly. In not doing a BD for any of the seasons though, Manga have lost a sale for the movie since I want everything to be consistent on my shelf.

quote="Joshawott"]Speaking of MangaUK though, I just found out that the Kazé France Bakuman release is BD as well (most likely because it has a French dub). Would it have killed Kazé to simply put the English subtitle track on that release for those who would have liked it on blu-ray? I respect that sub-only releases are still new territory so the already risky blu-ray would be a bad idea here and that Kazé might not want to put English subtitles on a French release that they intend to release a few months down the line in England, out of fear of it cannabilasing sales, but...
I just hope that due to the weird situation with Media Blasters and the dub that this kind of thing is only a one-off.[/quoteo

I was wondering about this too. I don't really have any idea what Bakuman is about but is it confirmed that the BD has no Eng subs? Remember that Kaze doesn't usually list all the languages which are included in their releases.

Yeah true, Kazé have to wait on the Americans providing English dubs. As with Aria, it was pretty much the only announced-but-yet-to-be-released license I could think of. With Blue Exorcist, has it started on Neon Alley yet or not?

Joshawott said:
In terms of new licenses though, I'd like to see Kokoro Connect and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions announced at some point, but they're both so recent that the earliest I can see them coming out here would be 2014 (6 months after final Japanese release for America, then another 3 months for UK). I'd love to see Beelzebub, but I doubt MangaUK will want to risk such a long series that they'd have to release as sub-only. Maybe Bunny Drop? If I remember correctly, in the past Jerome has spoke highly of the series, but I just wonder if something like that will sell (for the record, I'd totally love to see Wandering Son too, but not even the US has picked that one up). Is This A Zombie? might be a possible license. I also wouldn't mind knowing if MangaUK are going to try releasing Squid Girl season 2 as sub only or not.
Ditto on Chuunibyou, so long as it's not being released by Kaze. Is This A Zombie seems very likely, and you'll probably find that someone like Sentai will pick up and finish Squid Girl.
Looking through the list of recent anime, Is This A Zombie? was really the only one that stood out as being a solid possible license. I do hope Sentai pick up and finish Squid Girl, the English dub was actually pretty good.

I didn't get around to importing Haruhi, but I did buy Sentai's season 2 blu-rays of K-ON!. I agree with wanting matching releases, so unless MangaUK can announce some nice extras or something for their K-ON! movie release, I'll be getting Sentai's as well.

With Bakuman, their website only lists it as Japanese/French audio and French subtitles.

EDIT: Urgh...quotes went screwy...so I decided to just remove them.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Not that it's a straightforward title to translate, but wow is this awkward to read.
Easier to read for a non-Japanese speaker than "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" though xD. Personally, I would have preferred if they had did what Aniplex did with Oreimo and refer to the release simply as "Chunibyo" but have the full title on the box somewhere.

I guess Sentai's title does fit the show quite nicely though.

I don't think leaving Chunibyo in the title was a great idea. I like your idea of styling it along the lines of "OreImo" with a fuller subtitle, I would probably have gone for "Chu2" as the main title.

Mangaranga said:
I'm pretty sure Jerome has said before that Bakemonogatari was in the "too hard basket", then again Hanabee are releasing Bakemono/Nisemono in Australia, so they now could have access to DVD masters. (Why would you watch it on DVD though?)
I believe at least some of Hanabee's DVDs are NTSC, which is a barrier for Manga (not so much for MVM).

bakum4tsu said:
BE1yyf2CEAEQxpt.jpg:large

We have some great announcements on the new @MangaUK podcast!

There are two Manga UK podcasts to be released next week and we can expect some new annoucements.

Monday 11st and Firday 15th.

So anyone wanna say some names or have some expectations? Maybe some release dates for Steins Gates and others that dont have yet one.

*Cross fingers for big name announcements*

FYI, we ended up making it one big podcast ;)

...and it's available now HERE.

Listening now! Cheers for using my question about Saiko-Exciting. The way you announced my name made me laugh :p

Those BBFC costs are...painful. Unless my maths are off, that's about £5500 per standard release, right?

Nice to hear that Deadman Wonderland is coming out on blu-ray here!

Joshawott said:
Those BBFC costs are...painful. Unless my maths are off, that's about £5500 per standard release, right?

Nice to hear that Deadman Wonderland is coming out on blu-ray here!!/quote]

Can't BBFC be cut out and the DVD be unrated?

cyborg 002 said:
Can't BBFC be cut out and the DVD be unrated?
Not here in the UK. The Video Recordings Act mandates the BBFC make sure the proles only get to see what the government allows them to see. No BBFC certification = Illegal to sell in the UK.

So it's mandatory and it cost Money. yikes!

I don't know much about BBFC other than I don't like censorship. :)

They're a relic of a bygone age that should just die already, basically. The BBFC used to just rate and censor films for cinema showings, until video recorders became popular in the 1980s and the government freaked out that people might be watching things they thought were "bad for them" like gory horror films (because of course, if us ordinary members of the British public are allowed to see that sort of thing we immediately go out and murder people afterwards) so they gave them the power to rate and cut all home video releases too.

I've nothing against distributors putting voluntary age ratings on their releases, but to make it mandatory and certainly to be cutting anything now is incredibly archaic.

What annoys me is that they cut things from Code Geass and it's still a 15, why not just leave it in and bump it up to an 18?

Ooh, because it was so bad that no-one should be allowed to see it. That's the genuine reason, they honestly thought that seeing a drawing of a flat-chested girl in a state of undress for one second would encourage "an interest in under-age sexual activity".

They think seeing that single frame of Code Geass is going to create paedophiles, basically. This is BBFC logic.

GolGotha said:
What annoys me is that they cut things from Code Geass and it's still a 15, why not just leave it in and bump it up to an 18?
The stuff they found objectionable from Code Geass was cut because they felt it broke the Protection of Children Act, so it wouldn't be allowed at ANY category (though I really think their interpretation of that scene "potentially encouraging an interest in underage sexual activity" was wrong). Same thing goes for stuff like animal cruelty or anything they think breaks the Obscene Publications act. Those are compulsory cuts since they would break the law (in theory). Most cuts nowadays are voluntary and made by the studio who request lower certificates for financial reasons (see Die Hard 5, Taken 2, etc). I personally don't think that the BBFC should offer the studios a chance to cut a film for a lower certificate after one of their "advice" screenings but whatever.

I don't have a problem with classification in general, but I'd rather have a voluntary age ratings system. The combination of BBFC fees and the requirement to have certificates printed directly on the disc is absolutely crippling to small UK distributors in particular. However, the BBFC have definitely come a long way compared to the James Ferman days, they're at least very transparent about their decisions (unlike the MPAA). Whenever I've had an issue with their decisions they've always come back to me politely with their rationale and justifications (even if I disagree with them). Considering we live in a country in which the Daily Mail exists, I can't see a voluntary rating system ever being able to stick while we still have people afraid of "video nasties" and "moral panic" (BAN THIS FILTH!). In that respect, the BBFC do their job very well, despite my issues with them.

Ath said:
Same thing goes for stuff like animal cruelty

Then how did Elfen Lied get through without having that scene being cut out? Just seems odd that the rule applies to one thing and not another...

GolGotha said:
Ath said:
Same thing goes for stuff like animal cruelty

Then how did Elfen Lied get through without having that scene being cut out? Seems strange to me...

Ahh, I mean actual animal cruelty on live-action, since it violates the law. (like Never Say Never Again with a horsefall, House of Flying Daggers etc). Since no actual animals were harmed in Elfen Lied, that's fine :p There's more info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back