Manga Ent cancels further Blu-ray Fullmetal Alchemist B

There are a lot of Asians in Aus and NZ which does probably help. Geographically, they aren't that far removed from Japan.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And so the flame of hope flickers and dies.

I'd be mildly annoyed if Funi decided to region lock Brotherhood from part 3 onwards at the behest of Manga, who then went on to cancel their release. So it's either a region A player or the customs-bait Madman version.

I don't know if you've seen it, in this other thread ( http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... &&start=15 ) and other forums all over the place, but Tesco are selling a multiregion player for only £50. I got one last weekend, so the situation is solved.

Not sure I can get myself to a Tesco store, and they're £70 online. I'm probably going to hold out for a while and maybe pick up a Sony/Toshiba Region A player at some point. Brotherhood aside, right now there's nothing I must have on BD that I can't play on my PS3.

Thanks anyway!

sound stupid but is it possible to buy the boxes used to hold the funimation blu-rays? I mean if I intend to import part 3 from AUS (knowing that the side cover is red which won't match the other two blu-rays) then I could just use to cover boxes from funi and cover them up whilst making them look nice on my shelf.

JohnC said:
There are a lot of Asians in Aus and NZ which does probably help. Geographically, they aren't that far removed from Japan.
Yeah, I don't know exactly what they have had in terms of TV anime or whatever over the years, but I always assumed their location relative to Japan was a big part of it (even though they're not "that" close, I guess).

I know in NZ there wasn't much in terms of Anime on TV, beyond what you usually find in the kids section. Manga was much more well displayed in book shops though.

Yeah i have a photoshop file i can post it after, + to print it you can use a program called undercoverxp and its bluray setting and if ya want it to feel like a proper bluray inlay you need to use semi gloss paper.

Do many of those even have BD masters? Manga isn't going to stump up the money for their own remaster, they aren't interested in upscales and chances of them being allowed to release anything on BD before Japan (other than upscales) are slim.

Akaten said:
No idea what is popular in Japan right now but would've thought going over back catalogue is something high on the agenda whenever a new format comes along.
Cute girls and shounen it's easy to make yaoi out of. Gundam, Macross and Evangelion are also still popular.
Modern shows are mostly disposible after a year or two, rereleases for all but the biggest stuff is pointless as the fandom will be too small by now. TV shows outsell all films that aren't Studio Ghibli, singles have their advantages.

Cute girls= will come out in the US but probably not here, Japanese BD may have English subs.
shounen it's easy to make yaoi out of= what sells most here (often no BD release)
Macross= not a chance, licensing hell
Evangelion= we're getting
Gundam= we're lagging behind the US horribly (no sign of BDs (except Unicorn OVA) outside Japan)

Stuart-says-yes said:
Hey, were getting Haruhi, K-on and HoTD Blu-rays in the summer, I'd say were going pretty well in the (cute) girls department.
Plus Bamboo Blade and Soranowoto. ED: and Lucky Star, and Sora Kake Girl! The times, they are a-changin'...

Stuart-says-yes said:
Hey, were getting Haruhi, K-on and HoTD Blu-rays in the summer, I'd say were going pretty well in the (cute) girls department.

To be fair Gundam only just finished its second season release in the states, and beez have to wait on pal masters, so I don't think were really doing too badly.
I mean Gundam, the entire franchise!!, which is all getting BD releases, not Gundam 00.
Zeta Gundam (season 2) did not only just come out in the states (it was 2005).

hahahahahahaha.
That's about how Many section 23 put out per month!!

Stuart-says-yes said:
Has K-on been confirmed to be Blu-ray? If it was a 12-episode series they could release in a single set it would be fine, but I'm not sure Manga would risk it after what happened with FMA.

Reaper gI said:
Modern shows are mostly disposible after a year or two, rereleases for all but the biggest stuff is pointless as the fandom will be too small by now.
What do you consider modern? Both Bandai Visual and and Geneon have been re-releasing budget box sets of older series under their "EMOTION the Best" and "Rond Robe Selection" labels. Kiddy Grade has had four separate releases now (the original singles, the box sets, the digest movies in theatre and on DVD, and the blu-ray sets of the TV series and movies)

Shiroi Hane said:
Has K-on been confirmed to be Blu-ray? If it was a 12-episode series they could release in a single set it would be fine, but I'm not sure Manga would risk it after what happened with FMA.

K-on! is only 14 episodes.
Although I believe its still unconfirmed, at the Expo in October they said they hoped to release it on BD but gave no guarantee.

Shiroi Hane said:
What do you consider modern? Both Bandai Visual and and Geneon have been re-releasing budget box sets of older series under their "EMOTION the Best" and "Rond Robe Selection" labels. Kiddy Grade has had four separate releases now (the original singles, the box sets, the digest movies in theatre and on DVD, and the blu-ray sets of the TV series and movies)
I meant BD rereleases only, this is a what's likely to get a native HD release in Japan list.
dvds don't have the 3000 copy minimum run or need rematstering. What's getting the remasters is mostly huge name classics, or biggish fairly recent stuff. (the only older Manga series that has them is GitS:SAC)

Kiddy Grade BD was when it's "sequel" was on TV, if it was that long without a high profile sequel I doubt it would be viable.

Recent I'd consider as post CCS* , so digital animation, moe boom peak, media mix projects etc.

*notes it's getting a cheap dvd reissue, please let someone licence rescue it. They can't whine about reverse import if there's is only ~£200.

Back