Manga Ent cancels further Blu-ray Fullmetal Alchemist B

Reaper gI said:
I wasn't adding them, I was clarifying.
OK, my apologies. The thread of that conversation is fairly hard to follow, as people seem to be talking across each other's topics quite a bit and the "point" is getting slightly mired.

Akaten said:
Apologies for going over the debate people had last month, but I've only seen this for the first time.

For what its worth I think the problem was the type of anime they went with on Blu Ray, namely newer teenage TV shows as opposed to older feature length and OVA short series from the 80s and 90s.

Blu Ray player owners are likely to be older, so in my opinion the first anime to put out would be films like Akira, Wings of Honnamise, Ghost in the Shell (done right) anime directed Yoshiaki Kawajiri as well as Bubblegum Crisis, Macross Plus and so on.

Play on nostalgia and get review copies to magazines and websites and try to generate a critical rediscovery of older anime especially with a renewed interest in all things 80s right now. The more overtly adult style and genre (sci fi, action etc) has a broader appeal while newer anime is more inward looking, more aimed at fans and less inviting to a wider audience.
I also agree, but sadly unless those were first done on film it would have to be upconverted SD which is not true 1080i/p HD. Sure it will look alright and exceptable to most, it's not what the expense HD is all about. Also your analysis is not taking into account the teens with a PS3, or XBox 360. :wink:

Back