Manga Ent cancels further Blu-ray Fullmetal Alchemist B

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
Volume 2 is all you are going to get. Just DVD after that. Apparently Volume 1 has only sold 750. I wonder how many people imported it from the US? If it's more than 2250, then we know who to blame...

I just think that the UK isn't quite ready for mainstream Blu-ray anime just yet. Movies yes, series boxsets yes, but in terms of long term collecting a'la DVD... I think it was a little premature.

Press release here...

That is both very disappointing and frustrating at the same time. As per usual the UK will just bimble along years behind the US!!

Makes sense, like britguy pointed out anime on bluray is effectively a niche of a niche. I was honestly surprised Manga took the gamble in the first place given the less than stable market in the UK.

I suppose people like me are to blame though.

I had part 1 on blu-ray from the US (before having to sell due to need for cash after losing my job) and I am effectively an obstacle in the UK distributors way.

The only way to defeat importation would be simultaneous releases and that looks nigh on impossible to be fair.

What was the price difference like between the DVD and Blu-Ray as this may have the biggest effect on peoples purchase. I would expect many UK anime buyers to have a PS3 as many are gamers too so being able to play the disks should not be an issue unless everyone has imported PS3s to play US disks.

As for myself I am still buying pretty much US DVDs only, but this is a title I would have been interested in paying a decent amount for the full on series UK Blu-Ray box set in about two years when they would have got to it.

I, too, am part of the problem, having imported the first two sets from PlayUSA. The saving of £16 over what it would have cost to buy the UK releases was significant, I thought, and I couldn't resist having a nibble at the forbidden fruit. But I find it hard to believe there were more than a few hundred importers, at most, and hence I don't think it would have made a huge difference if a cheaper import hadn't been available.

If FMA can't shift enough BD units, I have little hope for lesser known titles. Guess it's time to think about buying a (decent) Region A player.

Just Passing Through said:
I wonder how many people imported it from the US? If it's more than 2250, then we know who to blame...
I fear this sort of activity furthers the cause of those who unfortunately favour our assorted importation fees. Such persons are granted the position to claim that the barriers in place prevent us from the harmful act of voting with our wallets.

There's no way of telling how many people import anime. Of course Manga are concerned about it but that doesn't mean the problem is as large as they apparently believe it to be. In the case of FMA it may simply be that not enough people were willing to pay £10 more for the HD version. Over the course of 5 or 6 volumes, that adds up to a fair amount.

Well done Manga, i'm officially out of the buying from the uk business.

Unfortunatly for you, the funi releases are region free, so catch you in a year when you go the way of ADV

Doesnt really encourage you to support the format in the next few years if they are going to cut it short if you ask me. It would be interesting to know how the sales are going for Eden Of The East DVD/Bluray wise?

Isn't there anyway for Manga to get titles released closer to their US counterparts especially titles that they sublicense?

Surely that would put off most importers? I'm sure they have enough contacts and connections in the US industry to be kept in the loop.

CloudedMinds said:
Doesnt really encourage you to support the format in the next few years if they are going to cut it short if you ask me. It would be interesting to know how the sales are going for Eden Of The East DVD/Bluray wise?

I sure hope eden of the east is doing well on bluray. I bought it and certainly want the films on bluray also!

Back