London expo

Max Takeshi said:
I got complimented on my Rei Ayanami T-shirt twice - all that despite it being a very rudimentary T-shirt indeed. Still, that was nice.

A splendid T-shirt it was too Max. :)

I had comments but no compliments about my T-shirt yesterday. ¬_¬

Mind you, it would be worrying if I did get compliments for it. ¬_¬

Sorry that I left so early yesterday, train tickets were expensive if I stayed later, hopefully this won't happen again.

Had a great time though, bought a bunch of stuff (which I shall link here)

http://twitpic.com/9pkj0b (DVD/Blu-rays)
http://twitpic.com/9pkkj2 (Sayaka figure)

Felt I was leaving stuff late as well, running around London isn't the best thing to do.

Hopefully i'll be there again in October, I also want to go to Scotland Loves Anime if I get the chance but the dates are very close, it will depend on my finances but I would like to go to both of them.

Reevothemusefan said:
Roujin Z :-O

How much was the Lucky Star set, out of interest? I didn't expect Beez to have any left, since it wasn't in the list of titles they confirmed would be available.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Reevothemusefan said:
Roujin Z :-O

How much was the Lucky Star set, out of interest? I didn't expect Beez to have any left, since it wasn't in the list of titles they confirmed would be available.

They were doing the usual 2 for £25 deals, so I got that and Planetes AL boxset.

Reevothemusefan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
They were doing the usual 2 for £25 deals, so I got that and Planetes AL boxset.
Cripes. I have a copy on order at Zavvi for £28, and that's with a voucher. Wish I'd asked if someone could've picked one up for me now.

If you have a change of heart, I'll have it off you for a score!

Reevothemusefan said:
Had a great time though, bought a bunch of stuff (which I shall link here)

http://twitpic.com/9pkkj2 (Sayaka figure)
So that's what you busied yourself with doing in the afternoon. I lost sight of you prior to finding Spyro, Otaku et al.

There was much that you missed: I learned that a certain person has been amusing himself with three diablos for nineteen hours prior to learning how to fly. Another person made polite conversation with a popular musician named after a verb.

Only thing I bought was an Erza keychain. Found a booth selling 5 packs of Cybermen for only £2 each but decided they'd be kinda useless, even for display.

Odd question- is alcohol consumption common at the con? Because I'm pretty sure I passed a group of drunk cosplayers. I know people hit the bar afterwards but it was the first time I'd seen it inside the event.

Lawrence said:
Joshawott said:
@Reevothemusefan So jelly of that Sayaka figure.

I wish I could have went to Expo, but moneys...

It's okay man, we all do.

There is always next time.
A couple of friends who went texted me a picture of a Kyubey plush they bought and I was SOOO jelly. My older brother's moved to London now though, so hopefully I can crash at his place to cut costs for going.

HellCat said:
Odd question- is alcohol consumption common at the con? Because I'm pretty sure I passed a group of drunk cosplayers. I know people hit the bar afterwards but it was the first time I'd seen it inside the event.
People cosplay sober?

ayase said:
HellCat said:
People cosplay sober?

I have, for charity >_>

Admitedly, not in hot pants.

HellCat said:
I came across a person holding a half-empty bottle of fermented malted barley mash in the convention centre concourse. I would have reported him, though my attention was insted drawn to the many cries of "card games on motorcycles!"

Zin5ki said:
HellCat said:
I came across a person holding a half-empty bottle of fermented malted barley mash in the convention centre concourse. I would have reported him, though my attention was insted drawn to the many cries of "card games on motorcycles!"

Well at least you had your priorities straight, going around reporting wine'os, or beer'os just isn't worth the energy

No more stories from the event? I guess the anime-related stuff will be in a news thread somewhere, but funny stories surely.

Also I am quite jelly that I couldn't go and have people compliment me on my cool T-shirts.

Ok, who's going this October. My arrangements would probably be the same as last time (I.E, not cosplaying and probably going with a friend of mine on the Saturday) and I'm wondering what place would be good for a meetup?

Copied over from the temp forum just to make sure it isn't lost. Ping me if you want it removing or moved to a new thread later, theirsbailiff ;)

theirsbailiff said:
london_main_banner_october_2012.jpg

MCM Expo? What's that?

The London MCM Expo is a three day, Multi-Genre fan convention in London's Excel Arena showcasing Anime, Manga, Video Gaming, Sci-fi and other pieces of pop culture from around the world, mainly from the UK and Japan.

So What happens here? Usual con nonsense?

Pretty Much. Fan meetups, Sales of a lot of things, cosplays, Video Game tournaments, that sort of thing.

This time around, they're going to be hosting some Tekken Tag Tournament thing to decide who's good enough to go to the World Finals

And the guests? They aren't the usual terrible guests, are they?

They have gotten guests from various areas of geekdom; such as Anime VAs (Vic Mignogna, Kyle Hebert), Western Animation VAs (Billy West, Phil Lamarr) and even top celebrities such as... Danny Devito?

This time, they haven't announced the full line up of guests. All that's been announced is some guy who made this Hentai that I'm completely aware of because I don't watch that crap.

Sounds great and all, but how much for tickets and how do I get there?

General Entrance (From 11am, Buy them on the Day)

£10 Adults (16+)
£5 Kids (5 - 15)
Under 5s go Free

Early Entrance (From 9am, buy them online)
£16 Saturday/Sunday
£29 Weekend (This also allows you to go to the Friday preview show)

As for travel, the place you have to stop at is Canning Town first (That's on the Jubilee line) and then take a DLR train to Custom House. It's generally well known to regular MCM goers that the underground on MCM weekends do tend to have a lot of delays and works, so you might want to consider reading this post just to get an idea of what tube lines to avoid on the weekend.

And to top it all off, who's coming to this convention?
  • theirsbailiff (Maybe, and even then I'm only going on the Saturday)

HellCat said:
Last Amecon, I was hanging around with a irish-chinese guy and the shots were only a quid. End result - never been so drunk in my life.

ayase said:
People cosplay sober?
As a matter of fact, most of my friends into cosplay don't really drink.

theirsbailiff said:
Depends on whether or not anyone else wants a new thread. Doesn't seem like anyone else is posting right now.
An extra thread for MCM Expo? Maybe we should.

Back