Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny falls afoul of the BBFC... kinda

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
MVM had an update on their Facebook page, confirming that Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny will have a November release date.

Someone asked about Extras, and if the OVA mini episodes will be included but...

It will yet sadly we've just been informed the BBFC have had to cut parts of the first mini for being 'overly sexual'

animefreak17 said:
basterds............ oh well its online shopping for that series for me
Online shopping doesn't make it uncut.

Apparently it's a crappy series anyway, so who cares?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox295 said:

Just buying it from any country other than here does, which you have to do online.

We care as this could happen to a series that isn't total ****. e.g. Strike Witches, or more seriously Kara no Kyoukai.

Reaper gI said:
Otaku-san said:
And thus an influx of chipped DVD players arose on the market
Why most DVD player are multi-region as it is. It's only BD players and consoles that need chipping.
Not really, most console mods are software/firmware hacks these days.

fabricatedlunatic said:
That'll be because of the loli character. No big loss tbh.
I see what you did there.

Paradox295 said:
animefreak17 said:

... Yet it's the best of the actual 4 seasons of it. The ending of the 1st anime was terrible, GG was a massive waste apart from introducing characters, and the last one (XX) was good, but it seemed like it came from a cult flick... You know, a cheap Scy-Fy series was merged into it.

So, yeah... that's at least one person, right?
However, no loss to me on it. Loli-riffic stuff doesn't go well with me anyways. Just trying to remember what the scene was (for confirmation sakes).

Paradox295 said:
animefreak17 said:

hey if american dvds can have uncut animes then il buy them from america

Unlike the first series Dragon Destiny is actually a half decent show, with a serviceable plot and some well staged fight scenes. The OVA specials, on the other hand, are a series of badly drawn, barely-animated vignettes that exist solely for the purpose of titillating (lol "tit") fanservice.

I'm guessing what's caused the concern is when the very young looking and near-mute character pokes the breasts of other girls, who blush and gasp with a mixture of pleasure and embarrassment. The difference with Strike Witches is that here it's more blatantly sexualised.

Seems pretty reasonable to cut this kind of rubbish in my opinion. How do the makers even get away with creating this kind of questionable content in the first place?

vashdaman said:
Seems pretty reasonable to cut this kind of rubbish in my opinion. How do the makers even get away with creating this kind of questionable content in the first place?
Because in Japan it's not remotely questionable. Their obscenity law is black and white unlike ours.

Anime (with very few exceptions) isn't made with a foreign audience in mind, why care about wether it might get cut in the UK when making your DVD extras. Heck even big productions don't think about it in advance, hence K-on! needing cuts to the audio.

Reaper gI said:
vashdaman said:
Because in Japan it's not remotely questionable. Their obscenity law is black and white unlike ours.

I was gonna say the same thing but I was worried I'd come off as racist.

I've got the R1 release anyway, but still is sucks to see the BBFC cut something. In fact I've noticed they've been cutting quite a lot of stuff lately (not just anime but anything in general...it feels like they are going back to their old ways I guess)

vashdaman said:
A challenger appears!

If it's fictional, people should be free to create and distribute whatever the hell they like. What constitutes "questionable" is subjective, hence any and all censorship of fiction is an unacceptable assault on free expression. People need to realise this, even if all they are cutting at the moment is things you don't personally like or care about. "First they came for the Communists..."

I can understand why actual footage of someone being murdered would be banned. Real suffering has been caused to a real person who has rights within the law. But there are deaths depicted in hundreds of thousands of films which censors never bat an eyelid over. Understandably so, because in a fictional narrative with made up characters no suffering has been caused to anyone. To decide that fiction is harmful to reality or that fictional characters have rights is to become either a totalitarian or a nutjob.

That all said, when a bad series (and I'm sorry, having "Ikki Tosen" anywhere near your box makes you a bad series) gets the smack down, I'm not going to rush for my Mann Co. Approved Sniper Rifle and down a can of Bonk to it's defence.

Sure I won't further state it's worthlessness as a contribution to the medium of animated stories created by Japan based on this decision, it's existence is testament to that, but I'm not going to suddenly call this a travesty to art.

Because failing to arouse people is not an art.

Lawrence said:
How did Strike witches get through uncut again?
That was probably the last thing to view on a Friday afternoon. This was probably viewed on Monday morning first thing after the weekend hangover. :wink:

Back