Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny falls afoul of the BBFC... kinda

Just Passing Through said:
Paradox295 said:
Just Passing Through said:
The details are up at the BBFC now

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV281412/

Only 22 seconds worth of the 1st OVA episode is left, after 2 minutes 49 seconds are cut out. There's not much point in putting it on the disc then.

Since we're not going to get it here, I went and Googled.

22 seconds amounts to the end credits.
XD... WHAT? They cut the whole thing!

What did the OVA actually contain?

Hot springs episode, little girl accompanies big girls to the springs, starts wondering why she hasn't got breasts yet... Decides to check everyone else's breasts by giving them a feel, and as per anime convention, just brushing up against a boob activates it as an erogenous zone.
That...makes sense actually.

Still, I wonder if MVM will just decide to axe the OVA now. To not get through when the DVD itself is an 18...

Ok, if the BBFC think that this episode "has the potential to encourage a sexual interest in children" then they are sick in the head. I know they won't but MVM should appeal this and ask them to explain exactly how they came to their conclusions, for I suspect there was little in the way of rational methodology in drawing them. The only way their decision makes any sense is if children are just so irresistibly sexy that even the slightest hint of sexuality regarding them will send us all off on a paedophillic rampage. Seeing as this isn't the case, and the scene is played purely for laughs, the BBFC's stance is ludicrous.

Silanda said:
Ok, if the BBFC think that this episode "has the potential to encourage a sexual interest in children" then they are sick in the head. I know they won't but MVM should appeal this and ask them to explain exactly how they came to their conclusions, for I suspect there was little in the way of rational methodology in drawing them. The only way their decision makes any sense is if children are just so irresistibly sexy that even the slightest hint of sexuality regarding them will send us all off on a paedophillic rampage. Seeing as this isn't the case, and the scene is played purely for laughs, the BBFC's stance is ludicrous.
Considering they passed Strike Witches uncut with a 12, and Vampire Bund with a 15...although I haven't seen the OVA in question, it does make me think.

I guess it's more of a "Don't let this happen, so people don't think it's okay".

Koumei was just a curious teenager, I bet all girls have similar issues at some point. XD
Personally, I think it's a lil' extreme to go that far to cut the whole omake (one ep or the whole group of them). For that particular episode, you get scenes where girls investigate 1st-person how big each others' boobs are in the baths in other animes (with/out towels on). It wasn't as if anyone was trying to take advantage of Koumei (the girl in question) or have her do sexy poses etc. (Although it was obviously fan-service targeting the other girls as "victims".)

I aint going to say it's outrageous what they did, as technically it is a fan-service ep which involves a minor - But the minor herself wasn't trying to be a seductive, in a seductive position and nor were the others.

The irony of the BBFC's decision is that people who were never going to watch Dragon Destiny will be viewing the OVA online just to see what the fuss is about.

I agree with SIlanda's well made point. But it's interesting that this time the BBFC used "potential to" rather than "likely to" as they did with Code Geass. That was a real mind-bender.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The irony of the BBFC's decision is that people who were never going to watch Dragon Destiny will be viewing the OVA online just to see what the fuss is about.

I agree with SIlanda's well made point. But it's interesting that this time the BBFC used "potential to" rather than "likely to" as they did with Code Geass. That was a real mind-bender.
I'll be honest...I'm now actually interested in the OVA since hearing about this xD

Joshawott said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

I'll be honest...I'm now actually interested in the OVA since hearing about this xD
Streisand Effect strikes again.

I've never had any interest in Ikkitousen to begin with. What do you reckon to MVM having slipped the board a tenner for the publicity? :p

Ah! I have an idea!

Include the OVAs on a seperate disc that you have to send away for!

Include a card which you mail them, and they send you a copy of the OVA disc back! And there should be an extra disc space.

They probably won't do it, but it's a cool idea.

fabricatedlunatic said:
rather than "likely to" as they did with Code Geass. That was a real mind-bender.
Ahaha, seriously? In that case I think it's the guy who was in charge of looking at the show for the BBFC that we should be worried about!

Paradox295 said:
Ah! I have an idea!

Include the OVAs on a seperate disc that you have to send away for!

Include a card which you mail them, and they send you a copy of the OVA disc back! And there should be an extra disc space.

They probably won't do it, but it's a cool idea.
I'm sure the BBFC Secret Police that they totally have will probably nuke them from space if they did that.

Yeah. If ratings didn't apply to things given away free, I don't think the BBFC would survive for another week (I for one would set up a site where if you "donated" a certain amount of money to me, I would send you a "free" disc of your choice). Even those discs you get free with cereal packets have to be rated.

ayase said:
Yeah. If ratings didn't apply to things given away free, I don't think the BBFC would survive for another week (I for one would set up a site where if you "donated" a certain amount of money to me, I would send you a "free" disc of your choice). Even those discs you get free with cereal packets have to be rated.

Yeah, that's true I'm afraid. Now, the download thing could be done as it has been before. Blue Underground did it when the BBFC made them cut the DVD release of the old version of Last House on the Left in 2003. They provided a link to the cut scenes. Also, just to show how subjective and inconsistant the BBFC are, in 2008 they passed the same film without cuts.

I won't buy cut anime, and I bet I'm not alone, so come on MVM, appeal the decision!

Context...

The anime is uncut!

All of the episodes of Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny will be released in the UK, complete and unmolested.

All that is cut is one of the extra features. Having seen it via the wonders of Google. It certainly isn't worth losing sleep over. It isn't a mauling of the show in the way that Paranoia Agent or Code Geass were mauled. It isn't even one of those stupid licensor requirements that gets a song altered in K-ON!

Buy the MVM release. Support the industry, if you're interested in the OVA, Google it. and if you fall in love with its erudite and intellectual brilliance, you can always import.

There are more important battles to fight with the BBFC than this one.

Back