How did you get into anime?

How did you get into anime?

• Saw some on TV and liked it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Read about it in a magazine, eg SuperPlay, Neo, etc.

• Introduced to it by a friend.

• Played the game of an anime first, then got into the anime from there.

• Bought some on impulse because the covergirl was hot. Got into it from there.

• Total voters
Most of what I watched as a kid were the good ol' 80s Spanish/French-Japanese cross-production anime, such as Dogtanian, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc. I always preferred those shows over most of what was shown on kids' TV.

After that, it wasn't until the early 90s (around 93/94) when a few older friends started to lend me video tapes of some of the anime that was about back then, as well as the occasional things on BBC2 and Channel 4. Though thanks to the cost of the videos and the rarity of them, I never became a real fan until I was getting to 16 or so when I could finally afford (rarely) the normal £20 for one VHS (often with only one or two episodes on them!), and there were even a decent few manga about (usually for about £12-16 per volume!). Thankfully by that time Tenchi and more had started on the Cartoon Network, as well as the Pokemon revolution. And by the time I was heading off to uni, Escaflowne, Nadesico, Evangelion, Bebop, Outlaw Star and the likes were finally on TV (Ah, what good memories I have of CNX).

Apart from watching a bunch of anime on TV when I was younger (DBZ, Pokémon, etc.), I only properly got into anime after a friend recommended Fullmetal Alchemist to me despite the fact that he hadn't watched it (or any other anime apart from DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh) himself. Everything worked out for the best though and I ended up getting him into anime too!

When i was younger i bought tons of obscure japanese import super famicom games and liked the style of artwork on the covers,mainly games based on anime shows but at the time i was none the wiser,then came across a Urusei Yatsura tv series tape in tower records,bought it took it home fell in love with the show and the rest they say is history.

I watched things on Cartoon Network like Dragonball Z and Tenchi Muyo, let alone Yugioh and Pokemon on Ski one and after thinking it was some teen cartoon I really liked, I discovered about they were Anime and just became a real Anime fan.

I think the first anime i watched was Cardcaptors Sakura, it was on tv after school when i was 12 i guess then of course Pokemon and Digimon came out lol (I do recall watching Fist of the North Star around that time, very brutal indeed)

Started off watching Transformers (the 80’s one) when I was only a small child, I didn’t know it was anime, to me it was a cartoon so I was naturally drawn into watching it.

For years I didn’t bother with anime, until I found myself drawn in again by DBZ and Digimon, finally Pokemon rolled round and I still didn’t know it was anime, to me it was still just a cartoon.

Years passed and I saw Naruto starting on Jetix, and watched Ghibli films on Film 4 during my 6 weeks holidays at high school, it was that time that I found out what anime actually was.
I got started on Naruto and really liked it but after a while Jetix caught up to series 2 and started looping over itself…I lost interest in it and thought nothing more of it for another year or two. I tried to pick it back up again and thankfully the series had started moving forward again, so I watched as much as I could before I started picking up a few other titles, unsure of what I should watch first, I joined here….and the rest (as they say) is history.
Hundreds of pounds, 2 expo visits and a large anime collection, long shelf full of about 50manga vols later…and I’m still eager to watch more :D

I'm going to be slightly picky here...the first four seasons of Transformers can't be classed as anime :p It may of been animated in japan but the strings were being pulled by the USA, all storylines etc came directly from them. The first true transformers anime was the "Scramble City" one off episode, then it was the Headmasters series (Followed by Masterforce, Victory and the one off Zone).

Listen, we've have been through this a thousand times....now do you want a back hander or are you going to be quiet? :p

Anyway, if anything is to be taken from my post, its: the first anime i watched was a mecha, since then i've loved anime and disliked mecha.

You're too slow to catch me with that move ;)

As i said the original transformers isn't anime :p so your first anime is DBZ giving hope for the Mecha genre...

Go on, watch Gundam 00 you know you want to really ;) (Just don't watch SEED)

BlackWolf said:
You're too slow to catch me with that move ;)

As i said the original transformers isn't anime :p so your first anime is DBZ giving hope for the Mecha genre...

Go on, watch Gundam 00 you know you want to really ;) (Just don't watch SEED)

I'd rather not, its all the same story in my opinion, they have a death, death causes epic war, there ends up being 3 sides fighting each other, one wins, or they all die.

Boring in my opinion, give me Naruto where different things happen and has a decent story.

Actually Gundam 00 takes place in our timeline, and the series begins with one group going "Okay enough of all this war business, make peace or we'll kill you" and there's a lot more then three fractions. In fact 00 has the biggest free for all in any gundam show.

I mean i could say that naruto is predictable but i'll be distilling it down to a basic formula which you could then apply to every anime or manga made, heck any tv show or comic made.

if your upto date with the manga, you'd take back your words, i don't believe its predictable. Some parts yeah, but not all of it.

I guess i'll just never like mecha, trying to convince me otherwise is futile :p

i found out about pokemon i was a fan for years then yugioh then dragon ball z it took me a while to find out what was going out with these series but in the end i loved them i love the stories the characters the certificates from u to 18 ( they have balls pulling shows like 18 certificates anime and that what i like its free expression of art) and how funny they can be.

well when I was a kid i most likely watched some of the kiddy safe stuff that had been adapted.
I really got in to it at college when I saw one of my friends doodling away in his sketch pad. I think he was trying to draw some character from an anime I can't remember now but anyhoo, I started to ask questions, he gave me answers and recommendations, plus took me to some better stocked video/book shops (this was before online got good) then I pursued stuff through my own means mainly watching the Sci-Fi channels saturday night anime slot. also cartoon Networks toonami selection made for some interesting tea time viewing.
Then when I went to uni i made another friend who lent me lots of her tapes so I could catch up on the classics so to speak :)

Well I said 'Introduced by a friend' but actually it was my brother. He is 11 years older than me and was part of the late 80s/early 90s Anime fandom. I remember him literally dragging me, at a rather impressionable 15 years, to sit down and watch the Fist of the North Star film. It was alright, hell of a lot of blood, but nothing that really would have dragged me into watching Anime as a hobby.

However shortly after I then found Vampire Hunter D. THAT got me into Anime in a big way. It was just a revelation, it was just so different from anything I had ever seen before, and it was certainly something that no film would ever be able to do. I was hooked right there and then.

I raided the local video shop, which had a small amount of the early 90s Manga Video releases, watched Akira, 3X3 eyes, Doomed Megopolis, Lensman and a few others then. The best of the bunch was Venus Wars, which I am still hoping to find on a dvd/blu ray at some point.

Then I got sky in 2000 and discovered the Sci Fi channel Saturday midnight Anime block. Watched that solid for 2 years, which got me into my first series (Martian Successor Nadesico - Evangelion was on also, I didn't like it, but I've had that argument here before :p) Also prowled Fox Kids, which aside from Digimon and Monster Rancher, also included the very good Flint the Time Detective, the rather meh Sailor Moon, and to me then, the Amazing (And with hindsight, rather strange to put on there) Escaflowne.

After 2002/2003 the amount of Anime on TV dried up rapidly. Sci Fi channel stopped the midnight block, Fox Kids became Jetix etc. However I actually had some money then, so began buying dvds. Got a good few hundred now :p Also discovered Ghibli that year via what is still one of my favourite films, Princess Mononoke.

And that's about it :p History of my Anime life (And I really didn't intend to say that much, but yeah) 8)

Warmaster said:
I raided the local video shop, which had a small amount of the early 90s Manga Video releases, watched Akira, 3X3 eyes, Doomed Megopolis, Lensman and a few others then. The best of the bunch was Venus Wars, which I am still hoping to find on a dvd/blu ray at some point.

I'm the proud owner of Venus Wars on DVD.

It's out there, dude. Amazon.Com is your best bet. You'll be very lucky to find a brand new copy, but it occasionally crops up in 'liek new' condition for not-too-extortionate money.

That's how I got my copy of 'Wings Of Honneamise' as well.

HdE said:
Warmaster said:

I'm the proud owner of Venus Wars on DVD.

It's out there, dude. Amazon.Com is your best bet. You'll be very lucky to find a brand new copy, but it occasionally crops up in 'liek new' condition for not-too-extortionate money.

That's how I got my copy of 'Wings Of Honneamise' as well.

I have managed to see it since then, though only subbed, and I'm one of those few Anime fans who prefers a dub when I can, and the old voices are still in my head even a decade on :p Is that Dvd the old manga dub or is it a sub?

Seeing CCS on CITV when I was about 12, had no idea what Anime was at that time but a few years later someone lent me Spirited Away and that's how I got into it.

Back