Gundam Unicorn - 7 minute streaming preview!

HdE said:
I'll second that!

I'm watching and really digging Gundam SEED right now. But there are points where I can see pretty clearly where the animation budget was getting a bit slender.

Put Zeta out over here as a nice shiny box set and I'm all over that!

You're liking SEED at the moment?

*Grabs gun* sigh why is it the good ones that need sorting out... :p

Not a fan of that show at all, i rank it amongst the worst gundams, its only above SEED Destiny, SD Gundam Force and G-Saviour in terms of quality.

Probably a bad time to admit that I think SEED (and to a lesser extent Destiny) are some of the best Gundam series of all time... lol :)

:eek:

I'm going to need a bigger gun :p

Hmm a lot of gundam discussion going on, wonder if its time to revive the gundam thread in the general discussion area

Izekiel said:
Probably a bad time to admit that I think SEED (and to a lesser extent Destiny) are some of the best Gundam series of all time... lol :)

Yeah, SEED is pretty solid stuff - though I'd not necessarily say it's standout stuff.

I preordered Destiny. But that'sjust because I'm a tart for Gundam.

I don't want to appear pushy, but any more news on this? I was kind of hoping the official blog post would at least be edited with some form of acknowledgement. Beyond telling us we're apparently now waiting till April, there hasn't been much else said. This forum is the only place I've found online with any mention of the situation.

According to the BBFC website Unicorn isn't on their list, and hasn't been submitted for classifying yet. They do list 00 and Destiny.

Mohawk52 said:
According to the BBFC website Unicorn isn't on their list, and hasn't been submitted for classifying yet. They do list 00 and Destiny.
According to Beez, there's no plan to BBFC it yet.

So it's been a month and sadly still no sign. I'm sorry if I come off as a narc but I was very psyched for this multi country release and the delay and resulting lack of communication has really killed my interest. I currently have the US release of the Blu-Ray and was happily planning to purchase the UK one to support the title and release plan in both markets. But I'm at the point where quite frankly I feel like I'd rather just import the US ones and know I'm actually going to get the title as promised.

HellCat said:
So it's been a month and sadly still no sign. I'm sorry if I come off as a narc but I was very psyched for this multi country release and the delay and resulting lack of communication has really killed my interest. I currently have the US release of the Blu-Ray and was happily planning to purchase the UK one to support the title and release plan in both markets. But I'm at the point where quite frankly I feel like I'd rather just import the US ones and know I'm actually going to get the title as promised.

It'll be launched in another week or two from us - the explanation as I say is because there was a decision made above us at Beez to not BBFC the title. This means I couldn't set up an exclusive relationship with HMV or such for the title and we had to construct a UK version of the Beez Shop for it to be sold on.

So long short is this one isn't our fault sadly and it's as frustrating for me as it is for you I can guarantee you. I have kept people in touch with it as regularly as possible both via here, other forums and twitter so I'm not sure where you're getting the lack of communication issue from. I also regularly reply to my direct messages so a quick PM asking about it wouldn't have killed either!

Either way though I am sorry you feel that way and as soon as I have information on new works I'll be sure to tell people. But ultimately in this case we're just the distribution agents for the title which makes it a lot harder than a regular license of ours.

It'll be completed soon but we can't magic a UK page up overnight sadly. When it is live I have some interesting plans to keep it going though with more extras for releases though so watch this space. As I say should be within the next 2 weeks!

Best,

Andrew,
Beez Entertainment

beez_andrew said:
HellCat said:

It'll be launched in another week or two from us - the explanation as I say is because there was a decision made above us at Beez to not BBFC the title. This means I couldn't set up an exclusive relationship with HMV or such for the title and we had to construct a UK version of the Beez Shop for it to be sold on.

So long short is this one isn't our fault sadly and it's as frustrating for me as it is for you I can guarantee you. I have kept people in touch with it as regularly as possible both via here, other forums and twitter so I'm not sure where you're getting the lack of communication issue from. I also regularly reply to my direct messages so a quick PM asking about it wouldn't have killed either!

Either way though I am sorry you feel that way and as soon as I have information on new works I'll be sure to tell people. But ultimately in this case we're just the distribution agents for the title which makes it a lot harder than a regular license of ours.

It'll be completed soon but we can't magic a UK page up overnight sadly. When it is live I have some interesting plans to keep it going though with more extras for releases though so watch this space. As I say should be within the next 2 weeks!

Best,

Andrew,
Beez Entertainment

To be fair, I've pretty much kept my comments to this thread. I felt sending PMs or such would be harassing you, which of course wouldn't be justified. I've also been keeping tabs on Beez's official UK blog, which hasn't been updated to make any mention of the delay and seems to be in the grip of spambots advertising discount shoes.

As I've already said, I'm not trying to cause any hassle. At the same time, I don't think waiting over a month for a delayed title that was promoted heavily on the basis 'same day release as a number of other countries, including Japan' is in anyway expecting an online shop to appear overnight. The same day release was a big selling point for Unicorn and for whatever reason we were the only mentioned country who didn't make it in time. I can begrudingly accept that but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We were the exception to the planned release and I feel that since then the general response has been lacking. More 'quit your griping' than 'Sorry this happened'.

But the long and short of it was, someone at Bandai decided against a BBFC Rating, thus dooming Unicorn as far as sales are concerned and, had the delay in the UK release not happened, probably jeopardize BEEZ as a UK distributor as releasing anything without appeasing the Dinosaur Empire is a fairly high end offence if my understanding of law is correct.

We...we just can't get it right, can we? Even when we try, someone will be there to make us get it wrong...

So how much is Unicorn going to be going for anyway? I'm sure the Dinosaur Empire money is going into releasing a sanely priced product for us under the tyrannosaurus'ical reign of the lizard overlords.
And then again, it might rain Jack Frost fairies that look exactly like thier Shin Megami Tensei renderings tomorrow, so who knows.

Conan-san said:
But the long and short of it was, someone at Bandai
Exactly, this is the key thing here I think - Bandai, not Beez, is at fault. At what point will people stop being surprised when Japanese companies don't understand/really care about foreign markets?

I'm not trying to blame Beez for what happened. As I said before, I'm quite familiar with how brutal Surise/Bandai Visual can be and I'm sure there are noteable reasons that can't be got into for why exactly the delay happened (does France even have an entity like the BBFC?). I think Beez have done and continue to do a comendable job of fighting the corner for fans in this country, giving us titles and things like LE versions of releases in a time where most other distributors just seem to have given up on trying to sell Japanese animation here.

At the same time, I just feel that once it became clear that the delay was coming that really Beez didn't do much to pass word of this on. I myself was only aware by coming here. If it had been any other title with a delay, I wouldn't mind so much. But all the hype for the specific release date of this title and Beez's aforementioned usually excellent rep leave me confused as to why this unfortunate delay wasn't better advertised. I have to be honest and say the handling of the matter in that sense creates less an air of 'Something out of our control happened, we're sorry for the delay' and more of 'Well, you get it when you get it'. To get the UK involved in such a release was surely a massive coup.

HellCat said:
I think Beez have done and continue to do a comendable job of fighting the corner for fans in this country, giving us titles and things like LE versions of releases in a time where most other distributors just seem to have given up on trying to sell Japanese animation here.

I'd like to second this.

The situation with Gundam Unicorn is... unfortunate. It's a pain. Especially if you're a rabid Gundamoid like myself.

But this is how it is. I appreciate Andrew's frankness on the matter, and his honesty.

Back