Gundam Unicorn - 7 minute streaming preview!

Rui said:
I assume a set will come a long way down the line if it sells well enough, but I'd rather see Unicorn now and make sure of the latter than wait.

Whereas I'd rather wait for a box set.

I realise there's been no official info on any of this just yet, but if the rumoured prices and release schedule prove to be close to the mark, I will be sorely disappointed. And there's no way I'm paying the previously cited prices for single episodes at a time.

I wonder if it's a case of the Japanese rights holders thinking their licences are worth far more outside Japan than they actually are again. There, this is like releasing the next Bond film straight to the consumer and charging a premium for it. People might pay £30 for that on Blu-ray, given the cost of cinema ticket(s) and the disc itself. Here though, most will think of Gundam Unicorn as just another anime movie. If indeed our prices are in line with the French, no casual fan will be able to understand why it costs so much and even the hardcore fans might not be able to justify spending so much (I know I can't).

I'm reserving final judgement until I see the official release plans and see what Andrew from Beez has to say.

But I AM willing to stick my neck on the line and say that if the rumours and tidbits of info we're getting eventually translate to reality... I won't be impressed.

£30.00 for a single OVA episode on one disc. Multiply that by six. Plus the extra expense of buying a blu-ray player if there's no DVD release? Forget that!

Fingers crossed for better news.

Hi all. I've been registered here for a year but never posted before (people might recognize me from toonzone, though I doubt it).

I definetly share the anxiety over this release. I am kind of worried that we have less than a week to go and still no way to pre-order, but I've heard a fair few horror stories about Bandai's head office and beez generally do a good job for the European market. I'm hopeful that everything will work out and that even if it's just an initially web-only release we can part of this 'global' piece of Gundam history.

If Andrew has copies at the IFI festival I'll probably pick one up (and I enjoy it on screen), irregardless of the price, but at £30 there's no way I'd buy it online.

I for one can't wait to see Gundam Unicorn and pre-ordered it on Amazon.com the day it was available. I can't believe we're finally going to get a legit Gundam release the same time as the Japanese, just a crying shame the UK are excluded from the worldwide release . I think it looks fantastic and am so looking forward to two weeks time when it arrives.

Do you have a region free Blu-ray player Orgun, or are you just betting it won't be locked? It would seem a pretty safe bet, but I'm still not willing to risk it prior to release (and the fact that it's still a little pricey and also over the customs limit).

Are we really being excluded? We've certainly been named in all the international trailers. As I said before, wouldn't suprise me if any of the problems are Bandai's fault. They're well known for dumping vast plans on their international offices at the last moment, so it wouldn't suprise me if they planned this global release knowing it'd sound amazing from a PR perspective but in practice only planned it out well enough to cover a domestic release.

Orgun said:
I for one can't wait to see Gundam Unicorn and pre-ordered it on Amazon.com the day it was available. I can't believe we're finally going to get a legit Gundam release the same time as the Japanese, just a crying shame the UK are excluded from the worldwide release . I think it looks fantastic and am so looking forward to two weeks time when it arrives.

The UK is not being excluded as I say there have just been one or two delays to the schedule for the UK website due to circumstances outwith our control. The fact you're even claiming the UK is excluded is evidence you haven't read what I wrote previously though ^^;;;...

Andrew Partridge
Beez Entertainment.

HdE said:
I'm reserving final judgement until I see the official release plans and see what Andrew from Beez has to say.

But I AM willing to stick my neck on the line and say that if the rumours and tidbits of info we're getting eventually translate to reality... I won't be impressed.

£30.00 for a single OVA episode on one disc. Multiply that by six. Plus the extra expense of buying a blu-ray player if there's no DVD release? Forget that!

Fingers crossed for better news.

This pretty much sums it up for me, the pricing isn't really that much of an issue considering how much I love the Gundam franchise (though it does seem pretty steep considering its a single episode).

I will probably end up ordering it from Amazon.com instead at this rate or waiting till someone submits it for BBFC certification or a box set is released at a later date.

Worth mentioning, Izekiel, that having checked, it appears the £30.00 figure I cited there isn't substantiated anywhere I've drawn my info from. I could have sworn I saw that posted somewhere, but apparently not.

Like I say - reserving judgement until we get the official info.

Nobody wants more Gundam like me. But to be honest, there is a trend for anything bearing the brand to be ridiculously overpriced. That NEEDS to be addressed.

So... still watching with interest.

Damm currency, why can't it be like the pound to the dollar, then we would get it for about £17.

I'm sorta hoping for a double feature set in the Fall when ep 2 is released, i would pay £30 if it had two eps on it (this is madness talking i know but i'm being realistic in this sense since Bandai decided to not bother sending it to the BBFC)

You could go and import from Amazon.com at $34.99... although I am not sure what the shipping (if they even will) would be like.

The BD is apparently region free according to the site.

I would be more worried about customs then anything else, anything under £18 and they may nab it if there was someone selling it from within the uk for that price then i would (well when i get a BD player that is)

ayase said:
Not official info, I only say that because that's the price of the version being offered through Beez' French online shop (€33.99 = £30.70 - yes, sadly that is how worthless the pound has become) and since there is no UK version as yet, I presume that's it.

Izekiel said:
Hey, I think it's on the Beez France shop site at 33.99 euro's so that £30 ish mark is going to be accurate

Link - http://www.beez-shop.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=606

beez_andrew said:
Orgun said:

The UK is not being excluded as I say there have just been one or two delays to the schedule for the UK website due to circumstances outwith our control. The fact you're even claiming the UK is excluded is evidence you haven't read what I wrote previously though ^^;;;...

Andrew Partridge
Beez Entertainment.

Yeah, I read all your previous posts Andrew, what I was alluding to was that on March 12th, Play, Amazon or anywhere else in the UK isn't going to post Gundam Unicorn to me, so to me it isn't part of this big worldwide launch that Bandai have heralded.

It is a shame that I can't buy it in the UK which I would prefer to do, I generally buy most of my anime from the US, but I buy UK releases where I can to support the industry here.

ayase said:
Do you have a region free Blu-ray player Orgun, or are you just betting it won't be locked? It would seem a pretty safe bet, but I'm still not willing to risk it prior to release (and the fact that it's still a little pricey and also over the customs limit).

Its region free so will play on a UK PS3. In fact all of Bandai's US and Japanese Blu-rays are region free, so you can get Akira, Royal Space Force, Escaflowne etc, and watch them here. Another bonus is that many of the Japanese Bandai Blu-rays even have English subtitles such as the Patlabor Movie Trilogy, I can vouch that these discs work as I have them all myself.

Orgun said:
ayase said:

Its region free so will play on a UK PS3. In fact all of Bandai's US and Japanese Blu-rays are region free...
The US release of Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was definitely locked to region A. I'm aware the Japanese releases are region free, but sadly they're ridiculously expensive.

Back