Good buy?

Zen 2nd said:
Maltos said:
Dave, you act like it's our duty to protect the anime market in Britain. Of course as we all [should] know, downloading anime harms the industry so there is the need to buy DVDs, but with my limited knowledge of economics, etc; if a company can't survive by serving the consumers, surely it shouldn't be our duty to keep it alive. You can't expect people to pay for a more expensive version of same product; that's just ridiculus.

My thoughts exactly. Also what does it matter if companies start pulling out of the market? Makes it easier for the companies who are left since they would have a bigger share of the market then.

How'd u figure that out?

They're on a tight budget themselves, the bigger the share, the less they can spend on shows so it's a case of less anime gets licenced or the quality of the releases greatly reduces.

lol thats very pathetic Ryo Chan, well for your information i earn a grand a week and thats at 17, if you can top that then you are doing very well for yourself and i'll congratulate you.

In responce to Zen 2nd "Actually "technically" you pay for nothing when you download stuff illegally off the internet, last time I checked my bank account I didn't notice any pennies been taken from it."
I never said that the money comes directly from you. the money gets paid to the websites for each person that visits the site. in a was yes its screwing the anime industry over. but buying second hand is the same thing really

Tachi- said:
lol thats very pathetic Ryo Chan, well for your information i earn a grand a week and thats at 17, if you can top that then you are doing very well for yourself and i'll congratulate you.

In responce to Zen 2nd "Actually "technically" you pay for nothing when you download stuff illegally off the internet, last time I checked my bank account I didn't notice any pennies been taken from it."
I never said that the money comes directly from you. the money gets paid to the websites for each person that visits the site. in a was yes its screwing the anime industry over. but buying second hand is the same thing really

where did i mention i care for what kind of job or money your making?

i'm quite happy with my £90 a week job. Anyway i'm done getting into childish fight.

And as for buying 2nd hand, that all depends on if the original owner paid for the dvd's or not.

"like myself is still doing a better job than you then if, you want to play it that way"

thats where the money issue came in. but nevermind, i didnt come on here for a fight,

the facts stand as: buying 2nd hand or downloading online. either way the industry doesn't recieve any money for it, they only recieve money from 1st buys. therefore the amount of money turned over could either finance a anime company or cripple it. depends on the number of people that buy the origional copies in stores.

Tachi- said:
"like myself is still doing a better job than you then if, you want to play it that way"

thats where the money issue came in. but nevermind, i didnt come on here for a fight,

I was actually talking about doing a better job at grammar, not a litteral job :p but yes lets no get into this again.

I still say it all depends on how you look at it. You could say that once someone has bought a series it's theres to deside how and when to sell it, but yes as you say it can be classed as the companies losing turnover from someone buying it new instead.

But it's still better than someone who just downloads it, atleast buying 2nd hand, someone somewhere down the line has made a transaction that will benefit the company that made it. Where as downloaders haven't contributed anything to the original owners at all. (to clarify here incase it goes off down the line, i'm talking illegal downloads not legal pay2download services)

Some of the people on here really are idiots. I create a simple thread asking 'Is this a bargain price?' and all people do is whine about buying 2nd-hand anime. Seriously, get a life...

I don't care if the anime company gets the money or not; I care if I'm getting official goods (in mint condition) for a cheap price. Right or wrong, I'm a bargain hunter and I very rarely spend money when the price isn't bargaintastic.

Do you think I care enough to put myself out of pocket by paying stupid amounts for anime? If you do then I'm afraid you're talking to the wrong person. Anime is something I like and I love collecting rare games and DVD's...that doesn't mean I'm willing to miss out on bargains and only pay silly money just to support the industry.

If I want to download anime I download it and if I want to buy it I buy it. Quite frankly, I don't give a toss about the morals of people on an internet forum... I mean, I'm happy if you steal £1000 a week at 17 while cleaning windows or if you're 40 and can throw £10 away on a DVD without feeling it - Good for you. Sadly, however, I'm not you.

yeah i agree, sorry ryo chan. never meant for an argument

thats a valid point you made above :) at the risk of sounding like im defending downloaders (which im not i must add) the anime that can be downloaded has to of been bought from a store as a origional copy at some point. depends on how contraversal you want to be about things (dont mean you specifically lol)

Aion said:
Some of the people on here really are idiots. I create a simple thread asking 'Is this a bargain price?' and all people do is whine about buying 2nd-hand anime. Seriously, get a life...

I don't care if the anime company gets the money or not; I care if I'm getting official goods (in mint condition) for a cheap price. Right or wrong, I'm a bargain hunter and I very rarely spend money when the price isn't bargaintastic.

Do you think I care enough to put myself out of pocket by paying stupid amounts for anime? If you do then I'm afraid you're talking to the wrong person. Anime is something I like and I love collecting rare games and DVD's...that doesn't mean I'm willing to miss out on bargains and only pay silly money just to support the industry.

If I want to download anime I download it and if I want to buy it I buy it. Quite frankly, I don't give a toss about the morals of people on an internet forum... I mean, I'm happy if you steal £1000 a week at 17 while cleaning windows or if you're 40 and can throw £10 away on a DVD without feeling it - Good for you. Sadly, however, I'm not you.

To be fair, this is an anime discussion board, and people are discussing the effects buying anime 2nd hand would have on the industry. It is a free forum after all.

Tachi- said:
yeah i agree, sorry ryo chan. never meant for an argument

thats a valid point you made above :) at the risk of sounding like im defending downloaders (which im not i must add) the anime that can be downloaded has to of been bought from a store as a origional copy at some point. depends on how contraversal you want to be about things (dont mean you specifically lol)

Unfortunatly this isn't true in alot of fansub cases, Yes some fansubbers wait for a DVD release before ripping but a majority of TV animes are ripped from the TV itself. But yes, as you say, it all depends on too many factors to think about, If you really wanted to, you could make a huge list of pro's and cons of 2nd hand and downloaded animes

Tachi- said:
has to of been bought from a store as a origional copy at some point. depends on how contraversal you want to be about things (dont mean you specifically lol)
*cough*, No, Anime NEVER airs on TV and there is no way WHATSOEVER of getting it from a source like TV, NEVER!

Of course there are DVD Rips and such, But ethically, streaming & downloading (no matter where the original source is from) are as bad as each other, but I regress and leave the hundreds upon thousands of anime fans who believe no better, alone. Over my time here, I find this the most pitiful "debate" and I can't believe people care that much about it, As long as it is/was supporting 'the industry', I couldn't care less.

EDIT: Gah! Ryo beat me too it.

lol

back to basics i dont clean windows as such. computer technician ;P

were all on here as we have a love of anime in one way or another correct? then lets drop the subject of downloads vs 2nd hand vs origional copies

however ryo chan if you wanna continue that subject then just send me a message via my msn tab

Aion said:

This is isn't true. You said in another thread that you've been dropping £300 a month on eBay. You could buy proper anime releases with that money. So, stop using the "I just don't have the money for anime" excuse ...

CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:

This is isn't true. You said in another thread that you've been dropping £300 a month on eBay. You could buy proper anime releases with that money. So, stop using the "I just don't have the money for anime" excuse ...

C.G on a roll this weekend :D

Ryo Chan said:
CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:

C.G on a "Troll" this weekend :D

I and several others had an argument with Aion over downloading, and persuaded him he should buy some stuff build a collection and be proud of owning it. Now there are people having a go at him for buying second hand, I only wish I had his time and patience to scout out the bargins. And the worst thing is people telling him he should just go back to downloading.

CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:

Just because they are second hand, doesn't make them any less "proper".

Ryo Chan said:
Why are you quoting me while talking about people telling Aion to download?

i've been anti download all the way :D

Sorry about that I was not quoting you when it come to downloading, just thought it was funny to mess with your quote of CG.

im just sat on the fence to be honest.

its everybodies individual choice whether to download or to buy (whether that be in a store or online. covering both 1st purchase and sendond hand)

If Aion (as CG has pointed out above) wants to contradict himself regard how he obtains anime, thats entirely up to him. don't think we should critisize one-another over such a trivail basis. admittedly intruiging to discuss its soon lead to people being abit sour..

There is nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand. I have on a few occassions. Anyway if this wasn't available how would I buy things that I want that you can't get anymore.

Its Legal :D

End Of!

As for downloading, totally against that unless they are streaming legally.

CitizenGeek said:
Aion said:

What I've been saying time and time again is that I've been spending money I don't really have... Credit cards are a useful thing. I can't stop myself when I see a bargain and I've had an eBay addiction for quite some time now. Spending £300 a month extra you don't truly have with virtual money on bargains out of addiction isn't quite the same as spending £300 on anime at full RRP.

What's worse; one who spends money on 2nd-hand anime or one who believes it's perfectly ok to download fansubs only if he follows his own rules?

My two pence...

Buying second hand isn't that bad. It's only 1 copy of something going from one person to anothe. Only two parties are involved and one of them already bought the item legally which is a start anyway.

Fansubs on the other hand distribute to thousands of people so perhaps while there is a bit of overlap on the same principles, the scale tips heavily against fansubbing due to sheer weight of numbers. A thousand non-payers do far more damage than some guy who bought it legally who then sold it on to another.

If half these leecher-types people actually had bought something in the first place and then sold, the orignal creator's would have a made a lot more sales despite the second hand market. (this is all my own opinion btw)

Back