Good buy?

Aion

Time-Traveller
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140216206366

Sorry for my 3rd or 4th thread like this, but I seek the thoughts of you lot on my rather expensive purchase... Not sure if it was a good or bad decision to pay £87. It was a bit stupid for me to bid so recklessly and now I'm kinda regretting it.

I already have the Mangle R2 Heat Guy J set, Vol. 4 of Chobits and Vol. 1 of Peacemaker. I'll have to sell 'em.

I'm a little annoyed since the bidding ended at £72. If it had ended at £75 I would've been able to use the £25 off voucher... -____-

Stop making these threads, Aion; you already have (like you said) 3 or 4 other similar ones, why not use those?

Anyway, I think Sayuki seasons 1 and 2 and Genshiken are good purchases at least (even though I've seen neither!)

CitizenGeek said:
Stop making these threads, Aion; you already have (like you said) 3 or 4 other similar ones, why not use those?

Different purchase. I'm not arrogant enough to make a thread titled 'Aion's eBay Purchases - Good or Bad?', instead preferring to simply make a new thread when my latest interesting eBay purchase is made.

More importantly, I wish I could get a decent Man United stream to work. :/

I still can't get over the fact I would've saved £25 if the bidding had gone £3 higher. Bargain or not, that's a kick in the teeth if ever there was... I had expected 1 or 2 fellow snipers to take me on.

What initially made me interested in the auction was Someday's Dreamers. The other day I saw an auction for the 3 individual volumes end at £20-21 (Including P&P), so it being included with the art box here caught my eye. It's meant to be a girlie series... I'll have to lock my door/draw my curtains when watching it. :eek:

Getting nearly all of the original Saiyuki in 2 art boxes also made me very interested. I have 2/7 of Saiyuki Reload and I wanted to start the original series before the sequel.

Guys, stop back-seat moderating. If something's not right, I'll sort it out. Leave it to me and get back to talking about anime.

Seriously Aion i would welcome a thread just about your ebay purchases! ;) seems like fun.

Just recently purchased fist of the north star (cue heckles) in its complete £15 not bad i thought.

There certainly are some right bargains to be had, and in all honestly £72 for what you got was a decent purchase.

Pepper said:
Seriously Aion i would welcome a thread just about your ebay purchases! ;) seems like fun.

'kay, then go make make the thread and I'll put all my eBaying in there. >=D I'm sure certain people who have posted in this thread would give you much e-love for doing it.

Btw, it was £87 in total; £72 minus P&P. :'( I'm still gutted over missing out on using the eBay voucher - £62 in total would've most certainly been one hell of a bargain.

tbf, i'd rather have all these posts in just 1 thread aswell, it just seems to clutter up the forums, which would make life difficult for paul come cleaning time

Don't see the point of buying second hand anime at all when it still avaliable to buy new, it not like any money is going to the companies who are making the dvds.

I also I would find it unlikely any money that seller made would go back to the anime industry, as anime collector would not sell his collection off. As the whole point to buy anime to collect it, If they just wanted to watch it once there are loads of source to do that for free.

There are plenty of cheap anime bargain to be had here or imported from the usa which would support the industry while second hand anime dvds support the industry little if not at all.

I find the fact no-one has responded to my thread title with 'Goodbye' rather shocking. We need more witty people (like myself) on here. :(

Dave said:
Don't see the point of buying second hand anime

What, you don't see the point in saving yourself money? You're either very rich, very stupid or a combination of the two.

Dave said:
I also I would find it unlikely any money that seller made would go back to the anime industry

Um, "unlikely"? You expect the money made by a seller selling 2nd-hand R1 goods to somehow go to the American distributor?

Dave said:
There are plenty of cheap anime bargain to be had here or imported from the usa which would support the industry while second hand anime dvds support the industry little if not at all.

Let us go over what I won...

Peacemaker Collection
Best import price: $44.89 + $9 shipping + customs

Someday's Dreamers (Vol. 1-3 + art box)
Best import price: It's a Geneon series; it's OOP. At best I might be able to get each volume for £11-12, ignoring the art box.

Ai Yori Aoshi (Vol. 1-5 + art box)
Best import price: Once again, a Geneon series. The same as what I said about Dreamers, just with 2 extra volumes for £11-12 each.

Genshiken (Vol. 1-3 + art box)
Best import price: Not a Geneon release, but this Media Blaster series is also OOP and the same pricing as Geneon series results.

.....bah, I'm too tired to carry on this ****. The point is, most of the stuff here is OOP in America, not out over here and, quite simply, expensive.

Aion said:
CitizenGeek said:

Different purchase. I'm not arrogant enough to make a thread titled 'Aion's eBay Purchases - Good or Bad?', instead preferring to simply make a new thread when my latest interesting eBay purchase is made.

More importantly, I wish I could get a decent Man United stream to work. :/

Nice to see another Man United & Anime fan about 8)

Aion, at the end of the day fella it’s a bit late asking for peoples thoughts in the respect that you have already won these auctions and paid for the DVD’s. So people’s opinions on the wisdom of your e-baying are neither use nor ornament now. Perhaps you should have started threads on the relevant series before the auction ends and see if people think they’re worth buying? Although of course, if you do that now it might alert interested people into searching e-bay for every series you ask about!

But that looks like a good haul to me anyway. Genshiken is a particularly fine series.

Dave said:
Don't see the point of buying second hand anime at all when it still avaliable to buy new, it not like any money is going to the companies who are making the dvds.

I also I would find it unlikely any money that seller made would go back to the anime industry, as anime collector would not sell his collection off. As the whole point to buy anime to collect it, If they just wanted to watch it once there are loads of source to do that for free.

i second that, Aion why dont you just google search 'download free Limewire' and then you'll save time and money!!
you might need to download the following codecs:
Mov. Avi. Mpg.

then you can make your own boxsets.

Dave said:

Bzzt! Wrong. Buying the anime off them allows them to buy something else. If nobody bought the anime, then the seller wouldn't be able to buy more anime.
harkins said:
Aion, at the end of the day fella it’s a bit late asking for peoples thoughts in the respect that you have already won these auctions and paid for the DVD’s. So people’s opinions on the wisdom of your e-baying are neither use nor ornament now. Perhaps you should have started threads on the relevant series before the auction ends and see if people think they’re worth buying? Although of course, if you do that now it might alert interested people into searching e-bay for every series you ask about!
tl;dr version: do what you want.

Maxon said:
Bzzt! Wrong. Buying the anime off them allows them to buy something else. If nobody bought the anime, then the seller wouldn't be able to buy more anime.
That's what I do. When I finish a series most of the time I sell it on and buy a new one.

Dave said:

Whilst I certainly think you have a point in general, this I completely disagree with. I do not partake in "fan"subs and the culture surrounding it (don't feel like arguing about that particular topic though). I buy DVDs blind based on my complex rational judgements of whether I'll like something. It's not hard for me to work out from the premise and trailers. I'm certainly not unique in this and believe that my massive collection tells a tale there.

When it's something I'm excited about in advance (like Beez's Gunbuster 2 - saw Gunbuster on VHS tapes, loved it, bought the R1s but for the sequel I'm fired up to buy locally) I preorder, from a physical store if possible (in this case I had a voucher anyway to burn) to gently encourage demand and visibility a little, and I buy it at release to give the industry extra love for what it's done. For obviously average shows though I see no moral problem with waiting until it's cheaper. And buying used, whilst being nowhere near as good for the industry as new, has its place in the chain.

As Aion said, a lot of his purchases there are out of print and he's not got much choice (same happened to me with Geneon and I was a big buyer of those as they came out - there were regardless a few series I had to dash for after the company folded). The extra money's not going to Geneon either way so getting the best legit deal and paving the way for supporting any sequel series released by another company in future still has a positive overall effect.

R

Maxon said:
Dave said:

harkins said:
tl;dr version: do what you want.
iwihysahmip;botohinacfn

Genshiken is awesome. There is a budget set available in R1 but that doesn't come with the box.

As for the rest, I've only seen Chobits. Let's just say that I much prefer the manga.

All in all, though, a good bargain.

Back