Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)

Ep25
Franky the best episode of the series. Every time I watch I cant help but cry as the Tachikoma's die. The Majors words to them combined with the music add to the emotional mix. You can tell even the Major and especially Batou are moved by their sacrifice.

A nice tender scene between the Major and Batou too when she returns to her body.

Anyone else notice the hint in the last frames of the episode?

Hokum said:
I liked 14, that’s the one with the assassin with the spring gun which fires coins?

I liked how Batou hacked the security dogs eyes to make them think he was their master. The only thing I felt the episode lacked was some motivation for Fem.

I originally watched this EP on fansub and the subbers had put a huge explanation of the YES and other currencies after the last world war.

I'll give it another watch at a later date, it was rather late when I started watching it last night...

Episode 25

Oh man this episode was so good-! The Tachikoma crying when it saw Batou alive was touching. I can't wait for the finale tommorow now.

Hokum said:
Anyone else notice the hint in the last frames of the episode?

I assume you mean that fact she doesn't have her watch on, right?

Episode 15

Love pretty much any episode that has a heavy focus on the Tahikoma's, and this one was excellent, proof that anime doesn't have to be loud, obnoxious and overly daft to be entertaining and overall excellent

Episode 16

And this episode just goes even further to prove that last statement even further, right from the off my entire focus was on what was happening, and the boxing scenes were amazingly animated.

Getting there ;)

I think I'm going to have to officially bow out from the simulwatch this time - I just haven't been able to keep up. Sorry guys :(

It was my original intention to cajole one of my mates into watching it along with me and then we would do a little vlog discussion of each episode afterwards, but he's nearing the end of his dissertation and I'm struggling to keep up with my own deadlines as well. Might manage it at a later date, we'll see.

@Riva: Yeah they're some great episodes. There are some amazing ones coming up too ;)

@Prof. Irony: That's no problem man - but if you've seen the first GiG you could always just pick up on the Second GiG on Saturday? It's no problem though. If you do feel like watching an episode, I found your comments on them a great read, so I'd love anything you're willing to post :)

You flatter me, sir :)

I might have a go at that actually. Much as I like both seasons, I feel the 2nd gig just edges slightly ahead of the first series, if only because they finally flesh out Kusanagi's past. Some great stand alone episodes too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my damaged DVD woes have put me behind. But HURRAH AND THRICE YAY! Fir I have a NEW copy of the volume 6 disc! And it works perfectly!

I watched all three episodes on it tonight. My thoughts:

Episode 21. Now THAT'S one of the most badass, gnarliest face-offs I've ever seen in anime. It's telling that, even having seen it four times previously, Motoko's cry of 'SAITO! HAWK OVER THAT WEAPON NOW!' and the almighty pwning that immediately ensues still sends shivers up my spine. Stunningly animated, too.

Episode 22 is a real treat, delivering enough pick up on the previous episode and yet still allowing things to unfold at a measured pace. And there's ANOTHER awesome takedown! The scene where Motoko deftly and without resistance puts the Sexy Evil Doctor through the plate glass window in the lab is a defining moment of the series for me. I love the abruptly collapsing prosthetic body when Kusanagi transfers to her new one.

Episode 23, however, has always seemed like a bit of a chore in comparison. Knowing the twist ending in advance hurts it a bit too, but it still manages to dole out plenty of good stuff as it rattles along. The seriously juddery panning shots in this one hurts my eyes, though.

Episode 26

Well, the first GiG is over. A fantastic ending to an outstanding show - it truly was. I'm so glad to have rewatched this, and to have had to pace myself - I feel I really managed take a lot more in for that reason.

A spectacular ending - it's a shame nothing was ever likely to live up to Episode 25 though. I loved Ishikawa's impression of Batou too, lol. "Mo-to-ko!"

I can't wait for the Second GiG to begin tommorow now! It's just a shame to lose "Inner Universe" as the OP!

@Professor Irony: Ah no I tell the truth man! I loved reading your posts! The second GiG starts tommorow if you feel up to re-attempting the challenge ;) It's a re-watch after all so, it doesn't matter if you only join in now - It's not like you didn't know what happened in the first GiG :)

EP26

Lovely to hear the full title credits at the end. I feel Togusa got a pretty rough deal. being left in the cold for 3 months and not knowing what had happened to the others.

The ending is ok, but you only see the periphery of the case drawing to a close.

Oh and I was right Aoi was a cyborg so wouldn't age in 6 years.

As for Inner universe, it's a nice intro but I like rise too.

Yeah hearing the full title credits had the hairs on my arms standing man.

I did feel sorry for Togusa too. I felt they shown just enough at the end, to be honest. Was great to end with all of Section 9 back into ass kicking 8)

Professor Irony said:
I think I'm going to have to officially bow out from the simulwatch this time - I just haven't been able to keep up. Sorry guys :(
You did better than me; I made it all the way to the third episode before the gruelling task of watching 20 minutes of animation per day became just too much.

Should you get around to doing a vlog I'd be keen to watch it. You always have interesting things to say and I can't get enough of those silky smooth dulcet tones of yours (and I mean that in the least gay way possible).

So we doing 2nd Gig then? I too prefer that series over the first, though I can't guarantee that it'll make watching 20 minutes of animation per day any easier.

I have to bow out too, I'm afraid. I'll be finishing off the final volujme tonight, but the amount of artwork and comics related gigs I have to catch up with is choking out my free time.

(Plus there's the small matter that I have reviews to write for this site as well!)

A real shame, as I'd like to have mucked in with ideas and opinions on 2nd GIG. I'd encourage everyone who can to go the distance with it. It's a very different beast to 1st GIG and packs a few real emotional punches by the end of the show.

I'll try to keep an eye on discussion here where possible.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I can't get enough of those silky smooth dulcet tones of yours (and I mean that in the least gay way possible)
Though to be fair, the least gay way possible is still:

Choose one:
1) flaming gay
2) gayer than anything else ever said on this board. Skikes included.
3) straighter than Aion

(Godot, considering the amount of people leaving - how about putting it off for a few weeks until people want to continue?)

Jayme said:
(Godot, considering the amount of people leaving - how about putting it off for a few weeks until people want to continue?)

Not a bad idea. I know that, given two or three weeks, I could certainly join in for another round of discussion.

Jayme said:

That's cool but I mean; Fab was dropped since 3, Prof. Irony dropped earlier but didn't announce till later - I dunno if it'll actually make a difference postponing it. I mean, HdE will you just be able to blitz more than one episode when you get some quieter time?

I mean RivaOni is very nearly caught up really, and started way late. Call me cynical but it's only 20 minutes a night - if people are so busy they can't fit that in - when will they? I can understand we all miss the odd night due to having other things on, but most people could even watch an episode while eating their dinner.

I'd rather start tonight since I should imagine Hokum will tonight; but I'm fine to postpone it if people think it will make a genuine difference.

Well If people want to wait a little it's ok. It is luck I can watch during my lunch break at work :)

I like the Idea of these group viewings, like a book club. The only issue is that a series of Anime is usually more than a book!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Should you get around to doing a vlog I'd be keen to watch it. You always have interesting things to say and I can't get enough of those silky smooth dulcet tones of yours (and I mean that in the least gay way possible).

Don't worry, no misinterpretation taken.

It's actually very decent of you to say so; I got trolled on youtube in a "you think you're classy but you're not, lolz" kind of a way only a couple of hours ago.

Not that it's anything compared to the shitstorm we once had over my colleague's pronounciation of film as "philim".

/derail

Professor Irony said:
Not that it's anything compared to the shitstorm we once had over my colleague's pronounciation of film as "philim".
Had a teacher who done that, is it an Irish thing? I always assumed it was.

Best stay on-topic though. Sorry.

Back