Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)

shira

Shinigami
Yo guys - Lately I've been having the overwhelming urge to re-watch one of my favorites - Ghost in the Shell. So I figured, as it just won ilmaestro's poll, now would be a good time to start.

I was chattin' to Maxon about it, and we agreed to do a simul-watch -- so the idea is each day we'll watch x* number of episodes a day, and then post here discussing so. So, basically, I invite anyone else who wants to join in! This could create some nice discussion in here.

If no one else joins in- this thread may just die and resort to chatting about it in AJAX Chat, or Steam/MSN, so be sure to post if you're gonna join in! It doesn't matter if you can't stick to the targeted number of episodes a day in the slightest, because this is a rewatch anyone in this thread needs to expect spoilers - and if you're rewatching that shouldn't be an issue.

Hope you guys decide to take part! I thought this'd be appropriate since I'm pretty sure nearly everyone owns the First GiG boxset. I can't speak for Maxon, but I'll be continuing on through the Second GiG too.

*We haven't decided how many episodes a day yet- so this could just be totally random. Either way it's a rewatch so just go at your own pace, and chat about what you've seen! If you just be sure to cite which episode you're discussing, we'll all be clear on what's happening in each others rewatch!

There will be heavy spoilers in this thread, if people decide to take part.

Edit: It's been decided we will watch 1 episode a day, for the next 26 (or 52, if we continue to the 2nd GiG) days!

Godot said:
Just for clarity, spoilers up to the episode watched or spoilers for the series throughout? I think the "rewatch"-ness suggests the latter but not sure. Sounds cool anyway.

Jayme said:
Godot said:
Just for clarity, spoilers up to the episode watched or spoilers for the series throughout? I think the "rewatch"-ness suggests the latter but not sure. Sounds cool anyway.

For the series throughout.

Some people may end up blitzing through, and thus, spoilering ahead of where we should be according to the (currently non-existent) target episode. So it's safest just to assume major spoilers for everything Stand Alone Complex related.

I think us watching the same episodes at the same time would give a better sense of watching it with other people. If people blitz it then it would be just like any other day.

Maxon said:
I think us watching the same episodes at the same time would give a better sense of watching it with other people. If people blitz it then it would be just like any other day.

At least it'd be remotely co-ordinated though. If you want, just tell me how many you think is realistic a day, and I'll edit the original post. I'm happy either way. I'll be sure to stick to it (maybe go a little ahead by accident...). I'm just unsure if people will bother if they're limited on how much they can watch - I can't imagine anyone blitzing realistically, though. Just, 'the options open' lol.

One episode per day and HELL YEAH, I'm in!

It's not like I need much arm-twisting to watch THE GREATEST SCI FI TV SHOW EVAH (animated or otherwise*) again, is it?

*All opinions expressed in this post are exclusively HdE's, regardless of the fact that they are actually correct and anybody who disagrees with them is a big fat poo-poo head. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental and completely irrelevant to this post. The judges'decisions are final and binding in all matters, and pop tarts are THE DEVIL.

one episode a day? wont interupt my schedule, (all of which involve sleeping, eating, samurai champloo, dragging friends to hmv to buy anime etc.)
anyway, this'll be my first time watching SAC (all the way through anyway episode 15 then exams *shudders*) and i dont mind spoilers

EDIT:forgot to ask when do we start anyway today?

Stuart-says-yes said:
Stuart i'll take part, when do we start?

Malak95 said:
EDIT:forgot to ask when do we start anyway today?

Yeah, i'll confirm that, we're starting today.

This starts today for those who don't read very much! So by 00:00 tonight, try to have watched episode 1!

Fantastic! :)

Just to reiterate incase people don't bother to check the previous page

This starts today! Try to have episode 1 watched by 00:00 tonight! And once again, there will obviously be spoilers here

Stuart-says-yes said:
If you wanted to do something really interesting, you could Ustream it, though that would require everyone to be able to watch at a set time.
That sounds like an interesting idea. However, it sounds pretty heavy on bandwidth.

Aogu said:
I'd love to join for 2nd GIG as I'm at about ep3 ATM. So I'll jus tog on hold until you get there!

Could be a while xD But in seriousness, if you've recently finished the first GiG, it'd be great to have you join in the discussion - as I'm sure it's fresh in your mind. I'm pretty sure Wiki have episode summaries to jog your mind on what just happened in our rewatch :)

If you wanted to do something really interesting, you could Ustream it, though that would require everyone to be able to watch at a set time.

It would be great - but nearly impossible I imagine. What with people working different hours, having Uni work to do etc. I'm sure the way we're doing it will work well though. :)

Nice idea, chaps. GitS: SAC is one of the shows on my "must rewatch before I draw my pension" list, and this'll get me motivated to actually do it. And even I can ignore the burgeoning backlog if we're watching just one episode per day... probably.

As luck would have it, I know some relative noobs for whom such a thread might be sufficient persuasion to watch SAC for the first time. Just to confirm, are we sticking to 'no untagged spoilers beyond the most recently watched episode'?

That's generally how I've seen these threads run elsewhere and it seems to work fine.

Back