Get in the Simulwatch - Neon Genesis Evangelion [End of Eva - 21/7]

They're all pretty screwed up people, in an incredibly screwed up situation. I don't really feel like there's anything wrong with showing them doing screwed up things, especially not given how they're a product of Anno's mental state at the time.

A part of it is that I remember liking kaji the first time round. Whereas after today's episode i dont like him at all. Of course a show can show bad stuff but theres also the way its presented. I did not enjoy seeing a character I thought I remembered behaving that way. He also comes across as very remorseless so its not like he did something bad and learnt a lesson either. I cant remember if any of this gets explored in later episodes so I guess we'll see. It just left a bad taste for me this time

I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with an artist expressing themselves in whatever way they chose to do so, I'm just stating that you (royal), as the audience don't have to agree with it or feel comfortable with it. It's totally fine to "not be okay" with specific things that don't sit well with you, even if you can objectively look past it as something that the creator was expressing during a difficult period. You can still appreciate "the thing in it's entirety" for all the positive reasons, in spite of x, y and z.

As Asuka revealed, she was awake and knew exactly what was happening!
True though the old dub which I was watching almost leaves it a big ambiguous as she then claims she was kidding and was really asleep
Unless someone with exceptional Japanese can correct me, I'm going to assume the new dub is more accurate with how picky we hear Khara have been recently.
Fair. Interesting that was a change. I wonder why they went with that before.
I certainly wouldn't describe my Japanese as exceptional, but I can understand the Japanese dialogue in that scene. Here's my transcript of it, followed by my own personal translation. I'll start from Shinji's reply after Asuka accuses him of trying to kiss her in her sleep.

Japanese:

Shinji: [pause] Zurui yo! Okite'ta nante!!

Asuka: Hido—i!!! Joudan itta dake na no ni! Hontou datta no??! Kissu shita no ne!

Shinji: [stammers] Sh-Shite'nai yo! Tochuu de yameta n' da yo!

My translation:

Shinji:
That's not fair! To think you were awake the whole time!!!

Asuka: That's... horrible!!! I only said that for a joke! Are you serious??! You kissed me, didn't you!

Shinji: I-I did not! I stopped partway!

###

Interestingly, in the old ADV dub, the delivery of Asuka's line makes it sound as if she's possibly only feigning in her claim to have been only kidding, whereas, in the Japanese dialogue, she's genuinely outraged.

Last edited:
I do think Kaji is a complex character but not much of that is shown in ep 8 or iirc the rebuilds, he is quite an important character especially for Misato’s development.

If it helps, misato builds somewhat of a relationship with him like she had in the past but in 25 and 26, it suggests that is for much more selfish reasons (25 and 26 being both mainly self reflection rather than plot driven)

Episode 9

Well, so much for synchronisation! I could never sink to the pathetic level this animated turnip lives at!

Rewatching Evangelion continues to turn up new stuff. Noticing the terms kou and otsu on the monitor showing both halves of the 7th Angel, a quick Web search brought me to this interesting page:
https://sci.lang.japan.narkive.com/dFvajLYs/kou-otsu-hei-means-abc-123

Also, the sight of Rei completely trumping a disbelieving Asuka on the floormat synchro exercise is priceless! ✌️😆

animated turnip
Poor Shinji 😭

(I would have gone with "animated Daikon raddish" to be in-keeping with the Japanese-ness, but then Asuka isn't completely Japanese, so...)

Rei upstaging Asuka has to make for some great comedy 😅

Rei upstaging Asuka has to make for some great comedy 😅
The comedy actually comes from the earlier scene with Asuka's indignant reaction at what she sees as Shinji's poor performance with the synchro exercise. Her reaction to seeing Rei absolutely master it alongside Shinji focuses instead on the genuinely nasty shock it gives her. 😯

Basically, what Asuka perceived as Shinji's shortcoming turns out to in fact be hers — proof that what works for one person won't always work for someone else, and that the opposite is also true. 😉

I just find it satisfying to see because Asuka's so full of herself at that point. 😛

Episode 10

Fun episode this one. I liked how at the start we see Asuka and Shinji still arnt quite on the same page by their reactions to not being able to go on the trip and how the show visually shows this by Misato placing the beer can down so it drives a wedge between the two. Also how needy Asuka is as she starts to show her true self. Whenever Shinji isn't paying attention to her she calls out to him and it's always so she can show off, be it maths, diving or entering the lava with a pose.

I love how Gendo wont lower his hands to talk to the council. Absolute power move.

We also start to see some real frustration with REI. We know she wants to prove herself to Gendo and is now getting sidelined every time.

One missed opportunity is seeing how having to dive into the magma was for Shinji. Asuka and unit 2 are all suited and booted and we still see her struggle but he just dives in, in regular unit 1 and we never see what that's like, hes fine afterwards so no biggie I guess.

Episode 10

If we fail, it will result in the extinction of the human race. Are you really going to do it?

A tense capture operation gives us our Angel action for this episode. The solution to use the suit's coolant against the Angel is again really clever, and Shinji's rescue of Asuka seems to once again hint that Unit-01 isn't your average Eva unit.

Asuka and Shinji still arnt quite on the same page by their reactions to not being able to go on the trip and how the show visually shows this by Misato placing the beer can down so it drives a wedge between the two.
Another detail I didn't notice! 😃
I'll look out for that bit again, dude.

I love how Gendo wont lower his hands to talk to the council. Absolute power move.
What you don’t notice is the crumbs dropping from the taco gendo is still eating
There are plenty of people though who won’t lower their hands but it’s not a power move

1535618692274.gif

A part of it is that I remember liking kaji the first time round. Whereas after today's episode i dont like him at all. Of course a show can show bad stuff but theres also the way its presented. I did not enjoy seeing a character I thought I remembered behaving that way. He also comes across as very remorseless so its not like he did something bad and learnt a lesson either. I cant remember if any of this gets explored in later episodes so I guess we'll see. It just left a bad taste for me this time
That does make more sense to me. Still, I don’t think there’s any reason to allow a fictional character’s behaviour to stop you from liking them. But then some of my favourite fictional characters are ones who’ve done horrible, horrible things so perhaps it’s me that’s a bit weird there.
I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with an artist expressing themselves in whatever way they chose to do so, I'm just stating that you (royal), as the audience don't have to agree with it or feel comfortable with it. It's totally fine to "not be okay" with specific things that don't sit well with you, even if you can objectively look past it as something that the creator was expressing during a difficult period. You can still appreciate "the thing in it's entirety" for all the positive reasons, in spite of x, y and z.
Just so I'm not misunderstood either, I think it's perfectly fine to dislike and disagree with a fictional character's behaviour (everybody does that) but also recognise that it's usually intentional story or character development and without it people wouldn’t have a full picture of a character, warts, contradictions and all. It makes characters more real for me if they’re able to be flawed and behave badly.

Discomfort with fiction is something I admit I understand less. Not trying to seem like a badass here or anything (I already know I am one :p) but I don't believe any fictional media has made me feel "uncomfortable" since I read Bluebeard with my very vivid imagination when I was about six years old. Ultimately fiction is about telling a story and characters behave the way they do in order to tell that story, so I never really feel bad about anything being depicted in fiction. It doesn't help, probably, that these days whenever anyone mentions that media made them "uncomfortable" that often also implies "therefore it's bad and the creators shouldn't have shown it" because too many people think their personal comfort is more important than confronting challenging things. Which I don't think either you, Aya, nor WMD intended, but it's become a bit like a reflex to react as though that's what people mean, so I apologise if I jumped the gun a bit there.

Running a little behind, should be back on track soon.

Episode 9

Nothing major to add on this one, although it's certainly the first time we've seen an angel attack played as farce. Possibly the only time? I can't remember.

Asuka is interesting here; she's become an immediate celebrity, complete with her own fanclub, but seems very resentful about the whole thing when no-one's watching. She also goes into near meltdown the moment Misato suggests replacing her, with her line about how 'piloting the Eva is all she has' being quite telling.

Other people have already commented on Kaji, but all I can say is that, outside of a few key scenes, my memory of his character and motivations are very hazy.

On a lighter note

nge_ep9_1.jpg

Pour one out for Studio Fantasia. I think it's all meant in good humour though - Fantasia worked with Gainax on Gunbuster a few years earlier, so giving them a little shout-out seems entirely appropriate when we're also getting the

nge_ep9_2.jpg

INAZUMA KIIIIIICK~!

I went ahead and finished the series last night, the last 2 are how I remember them, though a little more analysing like a tense therapist's office.
I know a few people are watching at least just 1 a day but I'd like to know projections for watching End?

My intent was to cover End after the series finale, but probably allowing a day or two for that to sink in first. It would probably be around the middle of the month anyway.

Back