General TV Discussion

Hmm, that does sound like better pedigree than I was expecting... but US adaptations of cool Scandie stuff. :-/

Actually, I quite liked Insomnia. Not looking forward to the US version of the Millennium series, though.

I just heard The Walking Dead is premiering on C5 this sunday at 10.00. Some of you guys might already know but in case not I thought I'd make a post =)

The Killing. Pretty excellent stuff. AMC premiered the first two episodes as some sort of tele-film thing, and it worked. It's very slow, brooding and grey but as it goes on, as you warm up to the characters and understand the situation it becomes really interesting television. Definitely hooked and already curious at how the political stuff is going to play out.

(Their other The Conversation-esque conspiracy/paranoia series, Rubicon, that was cancelled after a season starts airing on BBC4 on Thursday over here. If you like slow conspiracy TV, you'll love it. It does indeed feature an ending of sorts.)

"Catching up" (ie. watching more than the first four episodes) on Glee since my sister has the first season on DVD... some of the numbers are a bit more cheesy than they absolutely had to be (only a little, though), but the emotional scenes are written with real heart, and some of the comedy acting is pitch perfect. Great show.

Jaymii said:
The Killing. Pretty excellent stuff. AMC premiered the first two episodes as some sort of tele-film thing, and it worked. It's very slow, brooding and grey but as it goes on, as you warm up to the characters and understand the situation it becomes really interesting television. Definitely hooked and already curious at how the political stuff is going to play out.

(Their other The Conversation-esque conspiracy/paranoia series, Rubicon, that was cancelled after a season starts airing on BBC4 on Thursday over here. If you like slow conspiracy TV, you'll love it. It does indeed feature an ending of sorts.)

If you like The Killing, try another BBC Four crime drama by the name of Spiral. It's good although the third season refers to events in the second so a previously on the... feature might be useful.

I've been thinking of watching Spiral. Charlie Brooker talks about it quite a bit. I'll move it slowly up my list of things to check out now.

About Glee, it's a pretty good series in the beginning (I certainly was gleeked out!) but it does somewhat lose itself. I recently said it to Chaos on his Facebook page (don't ask) that's it's interesting show because it has a serious identity disorder. It has potential to be great and unlike anything else, but it rarely does and you basically end up with three-ish different "types" of episode, all trying to do different things and run on different timelines - kind of. You'll see if you get catch up, it's caught the Ryan Murphy Syndrome.

Game of Thrones.

Epic. Epic. Epic. Epic.

Mother didn't like it.

I want to see the dragons.

Curious if we'll get a strong female character develop considering all the gender discussion that's cropped up pertaining to the show over the past two weeks.

I didn't find it overwhelming either. I know HBO throws you in at the deep end, but I felt comfortable after the first episode with this world. I imagine it will take till around episode ~7 for me to love it though.

Jaymii said:
I want to see the dragons.

Curious if we'll get a strong female character develop considering all the gender discussion that's cropped up pertaining to the show over the past two weeks.
Daenerys is my favorite character in the books, so I can only nod my head in approval of these two comments. :)

edit: eh, I haven't started watching yet, so I have no idea if people don't want to know character names, or if the character has been introduced yet anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It had Mark Sheppard! (Plus, Moffat is a great writer. I loathed the guy who came before, and never got the appeal of that - this I quite enjoy. It's not groundbreaking but these last two series are definitely quite good television. Timey-wimey).

Jaymii said:
It had Mark Sheppard! (Plus, Moffat is a great writer. I loathed the guy who came before, and never got the appeal of that - this I quite enjoy. It's not groundbreaking but these last two series are definitely quite good television. Timey-wimey).

The first fifteen minutes of the latest episode made fantastic viewing. Since RTD's depature things have really turned around for the series.

(A few episodes here and there were good, though).

Back