General TV Discussion

So I've just finished watching season 13 of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. And wow, they really don't miss Elliot Stabler at all, not the characters nor the writers. I'm not yet sold on Amaro, but Rollins is an excellent addition. I see too that they've adopted a Criminal Intent-like approach to the preamble, with snippets of events leading up to the crime being shown instead of the aftermath being discovered.

And after that cliffhanger season finale, season 14 has become mandatory viewing.

I'm so late on this but I loved Day Of The Doctor and I'm not even a Whovian! I've seriously only seen about 3 episodes with Tennant and I'd say about 15 with Matt in but I have loved every one I've seen. I got SO excited when you got to see Capaldi's eyes for that split second so I'm really looking forward to the Christmas Special. As my Whovian friend said, it could very well be that Capaldi will be "my Doctor".

Same here actually! I'd only seen a few random episodes from the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker eras, a few of the David Tennant ones and the Matt Smith Xmas special with Katherine Jenkins. This one really felt like an event so I couldn't miss it. I thought it was excellent stuff with John Hurt in particular really standing out. I know enough about Whovian lore that I could just about follow it (though a lot of the story did fly over my head), and I got chills when Peter Capaldi showed up. The Thick of It is one of my all time favourite series so he might just be the nudge I need to start watching.

Yeah I got chills or something when you saw that extra phone booth fly ahead then boom, Capaldi eyes hehe. I've never actually seen Capaldi in anything. Tomorrow! Exciting :)

Yeah was a shame Eccleston wasnt interested. I can't remember their names but three of the previous Doctors were on a BBC 3 show after the Day Of The Doctor and it was a spoof of them indeed trying to be in the Day Of The Doctor and the cameos in it were amazing, it was such a good episode. Ian McKellan = best cameo in it :D

I'm looking to watching the Man Down xmas special tomorrow too. It's s great seeing Rik Mayall back on tv and its mental how much Greg David reminds me of him. Perfect father/son combo :3

Doctor Who was about to be expected; A brillant performance by Matt is completely hijacked by Moffat's horrid narcissism. The story of 11th (I really don't care about what Moffat thinks, I'll give War his place but Handy is NOT a regen (oh and to call him teh result of the Doctor being vain, HA. HA. Moffat, gotta get that dig in to RTD), really.

The Time Of The Doctor. Well well well, I didn't think it did any/much justice to Matt at all. Nowhere near as memorable as Eccleston's or Tennant's departure. Like literally, after Clara talking to the wall, that was only where I felt it was decent. Don't think what I put there is a spoiler either. Half of the episode was utter meh and I was so terribly excited for it :(
As for Capaldi, not long enough of seeing him! Very intrigued how his Doctor is going to be played.

Moffat's had two running orders with Who;
1) Make up stupid bulls't for running storylines (One Bad Wolf? Why not three?!) and make an utter hash of resolving any of them (and take seveal seasons to do so)
2) Slap RTD's run in the face as many times as possible.

Enjoyed Time of the Doctor a lot. The only major complaint I have though is that the actual moment of the regeneration into Capaldi was extremely jarring, especially after that great moment with Amy.

Apparently, Channel 4's run of Agents of SHIELD isn't returning until March, because they want to be able to air the series without taking breaks due to the US broadcast schedule.

I can wait. Series is meh at best anyway.

Just finished watching Sherlock, my summary:

"Well that was a good season."

(five seconds later)

"What the ****? How?"

(BBC tells everyone to watch the scene after the credits)

"I wonder what it is.."

(post-credits scene shows up)

"OH HELL NO"

I'll be honest, it's quite funny to see him return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
Apparently, Channel 4's run of Agents of SHIELD isn't returning until March, because they want to be able to air the series without taking breaks due to the US broadcast schedule.

Speak for yourself, I was liking it and I can see where it was improving.

To be honest I've got half a mind to just buy the season pass off Itunes, scrub the drm off the files and XMBC the whole damn afiar.

ConanThe3rd said:
Joshawott said:

Speak for yourself, I was liking it and I can see where it was improving.

To be honest I've got half a mind to just buy the season pass off Itunes, scrub the drm off the files and XMBC the whole damn afiar.
It has been improving as of late, but I do think that at times the series has a real problem with focus - often, I find that if an episode focuses on a particular character, they end up being upstaged by another. I hear that the recent episodes have been focusing more on what happened to Coulson, which is really one of the series' main selling points.

It may be 5 weeks behind the US broadcast, but True Detective is here. I really liked the first episode, did a great job creating a thoughtful mood. Matthew McConnaughey and Woody Harrelson work really well together. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I finished The Walking Dead Season Four last night. WOW. I'd like Season Five now please.

Contemplating getting the comics for a fix now.

Didnt catch Game Of Thrones this morning. My Mums recording it tonight so hopefully I'll get to watch it tomorrow or on the weekend. I just hope no one at work spoils it before then.

-Danielle- said:
I finished The Walking Dead Season Four last night. WOW. I'd like Season Five now please.

Contemplating getting the comics for a fix now.

The comics are great, this season had a lot of scenes based on the comic (with some alternate changes) so it's worth checking out.

Since Season 5 will air in October (presumably), I can probably guess the entire season will focus on the Hunters arc (aka those people in Terminus in the S4 finale) since certain few have been given regular cast status. In the comics it was only 1 volume so they're most likely stretching it out for an entire season like they did with the Barn arc (Volume 2).

Interesting how the series has laid out for the adaptation though (minor spoilers for the arc names/volumes involved):
Season 1 (Atlanta arc) - Volume 1
Season 2 (Barn arc) - Volume 2
Season 3 (Prison/Governor arc [Part 1]) - Volume 3-8 (with elements of Volume 10)
Season 4 (Prison/Governor arc [Part 2], Marauders arc & Terminus/Hunters arc [Part 1]) - Volume 7-10 (with elements of Volume 11)
Season 5 (Terminus/Hunters arc [Part 2]) - Volume 10-12 presumably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm with what you've said there NormanicGrav, I am pondering whether to risk reading them now then as like with Game Of Thrones, I don't want anything I read to spoilt the series for me lol. I am shed excited about those who you mentioned for Season 5. Intrigued as hell!!!

Back