General News/Current Affairs Thread

Aaaah I see -Danielle-, I understand what you mean, it's a shame your friend doesn't live near where the jobs are. I look at some of my friends doing performance related stuff and it's kinda like "Oh cool, you basically play guitar for three years, remind me how that will get you a job?". Some of them are insanely talented and will probably find work as session musicians, so fair play to those guys and girls, but there's others I know that probably don't have the chops for session work or most likely wouldn't be interested in doing stuff like that in the first place, and those are the people that puzzle me the most. I'm just wondering what those people are going to do when they graduate, because last time I checked, you don't need a degree to form a band or to be a singer-songwriter, the only benefits I can see are to improve your preexisting skills and to network with other people in the same field. Thank you for your kind words though, looking back on my first year, I can definitely see some aspects that could lend themselves well outside of music.

It doesn't surprise me that Germany is leading in terms of renewable energy when it comes to industrial countries, but I didn't know that Brazil and Canada were at the top overall, or how much of their energy comes from where. It seems like we, and most of the world, have a lot of catching up to do.

I completely forgot about another friend I have, he has a lot of musical background, compsing and performing his own music, he went and did a degree, going back to uni at 30 and now he's a university lecturer! I think that's cool. I think if I couldn't produce music I'd teach it and do the band/performance side as a constant love/hobby.

In other news:

A body was found in a burning skip on a garbage truck beside the O2 Apollo here in Manchester yesterday morning. It's been released so far that it's a male. Totally messed up. Way to go Manchester, giving us a bad rep (again?) slowly but surely. It was better when Salford was out sole murder sh*t hole -_-

David Dimbleby is interviewing Gordon Brown and Alex Salmond tonight at 9pm on BBC One, if anyone is interested.

Also, an MP in Ukraine was thrown into a skip today. What a load of rubbish.

My part is done. I voted No, so hopefully i'll avoid everyone at work asking me "oh have you voted yet?". Probably not, but still. I may end up staying up for a good portion of the evening following the coverage, but we'll see what kind of shifts i have to work tomorrow too. Should cover most of it though.

I have also done my part. I just hope that whatever the result, Westminster and the establishment get the big kick up the **** they're long overdue. Even if Yes doesn't win, they've done a remarkable job when you consider that at the start of the campaigns their support level was around 30%, and all of the mainstream media have been against them.

Is it weird that at this point I still haven't made up my mind? I don't know what to do honestly :( I'm definitely going to be watching coverage most of the night. It all makes me quite anxious :?

Comments by people on my FB about how Scotland would have to apply to be a part of the EU after what 18 months or something I think have made me more confused and more likely to think a lot of people might change to No if they knew this.

I can't see Scotland not wanting to sign up for the EU but by doing that, they legally have to have the EUR so George was ultimately right. Also stuff about how people would therefore need visas to go to Scotland (would if be the other way around too?) and postage costs changing. I duno, it seems like this has all been revealed far too late. Independance sounds ace as Wesminster is BULL but I do not believe it will be like how Salmond states.

Plus if No wins and Scotland get even more power/control, England isn't going to be so thrilled, something like an extra £1600 per person up in Scotland that we down here would be paying for??? If Scotland get more power when they already have better health and education stances than us, it's going to make people down South hate Parliament. I know I will hate them, I just feel that some may mistakenly blame Scotland.

I think my biggest problem with Alex Salmond, is that whenever he's challenged with something he cannot answer, he resorts to trying to gain the upper hand by coyly insulting the other side.

Yes, we get it, Westminster politicians are dumb. But what will an independent Scotland's currency be if Cameron/Clegg/Miliband AREN'T bluffing about there being no currency union?

Thanks Owly! Was literally giong off what people are chatting about on my FB.

I just wish we got what you guys do is all. Scotland definitely has the smarts whilst the north west (me) is having the damn South dictate to us how they decide we're all going to live.

If there was a way that Manchester and other counties could vote to remove Westminster from how we are governed, I'd do it. I'm pretty sure a lot of us want exactly what you guys want. I just hope that separation won't ultimately prove to be the only way for it. We all stay and boot them out! Free prescriptions and education for those who wish to grasp it! :)

I voted for "No" this morning.

When I was around the polling station I was quite disgusted by what I saw; some people having their kids wear "Yes" campaign attire. A child isn't going to understand the political ramifications of what their parents vote for, so to indoctrinate them or use them as campaigning tools is awful behaviour.

It's a form of brainwashing.......parent's decide for there kids what they want them to do for them...instead of what there kids want.............It's just disgusting...........

I mean come on.......

Those nationalist pigs

MaxonTreik said:
I voted for "No" this morning.

When I was around the polling station I was quite disgusted by what I saw; some people having their kids wear "Yes" campaign attire. A child isn't going to understand the political ramifications of what their parents vote for, so to indoctrinate them or use them as campaigning tools is awful behaviour.
I think the whole "Yes" campaign has been poor to be honest. It just seems to be a case of shouting down anyone who has an opinion that is different to theirs or in some cases threats of violence.

Back