General Cartoons Thread

I watched Rugrats and Arthur when getting ready for work yesterday morning. It was like I was a child again. I still even remember the words to the Arthur theme hahaha. Kinda gutted I miss Pokemon though but I'll watch that instead of Rugrats tomorrow. Other than the kids channels, early morning tv (6.30am) before work is naff :p

Other than occasional reruns of Simpsons(does channel 4 still own the rights to show new episodes or is it just reruns they still own?), American Dad(love this show but havent seen new epiosde for a coupel of years now) and Family Guy(not as good as it was but still funny ) the only other none anime cartoon shows i watch regularly these days are Archer, South Park and Clone Wars i would watch other stuff but either its damn hard to find a good streaming site that has them(Green Lantern, Transformers Prime) or i keep forgetting they're on.

My one unanswered question in the world of cartoons is when Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated will be coming out of its hiatus. Until such time that it does, I'm tiding myself over with Adventure Time and Regular Show.

Meanwhile I'm counting down the days until The Legend of Korra is released on blu-ray.

Oh my god! People are still using this thread!

Anyway, I'm been trying to bring myself to watch both Megas XLR (Only seen the first episode) and Gargoyles and I'm just wondering how good do they get?

theirsbailiff said:
I've decided to rewatch Avatar: The Last Airbender again (Last time I watched it, I was halfway between season 2) and I'm remembering why I loved it. Also I wish we did a livestream or something sometime in the future.

Last time I watched it was while I still had Nickelodeon, which must have been four/five years ago. If I was to watch it for all it's worth, it be for Toph and Toph alone.

Edit: related
562834_529793070404312_471428767_n.jpg

Also watched the latest episode of Gravity Falls had me in stitches every turn :lol:

So Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated has come out of it's second hiatus. Yay! I'm just hoping that Cartoon Network shows all of the remaining episodes of Season 2; I am keen to see where the writers are going with the big overarching storyline.

Very nice! I've had the (undated) DVD in my Amazon wishlist for ages now while I wondered when I should order it. Good to hear that the answer is "soon" and that I can get an even prettier version :D

I still haven't watched a single episode but I'm assuming it's good based on the previous series.

R

Otaku-san said:
Luckily I'd seen this before and have gotten all my rocking backwards and forwards in a corner in the foetal position out of the way. I don't actually have anything against the concept, but those character designs are f*cking hideous. I mean surely, if they're really going for the demographic I think they're going for then surely they could have hired JJ or MegaSweet* as character designers... No?

On an unrelated note, I happened to watch the German animated film Felidae last night which it's kinda hard to relate anything about without spoiling it. Was enjoying it a lot until the final quarter, when it seemed to abandon it's well-paced detective story and simply race for the finish. The rapid cuts and fade-outs make me wonder if there's a longer version or deleted scenes somewhere. Obvious humanising of the cats necessary for a coherent story aside, it still did a good job of portraying cats as cats away from the cuddly popular perception and the often violent, sexual world they inhabit. Cats are awesome.

*I take no responsibility for any adverse reactions resulting from curious Googling.

ayase said:
Otaku-san said:
Luckily I'd seen this before and have gotten all my rocking backwards and forwards in a corner in the foetal position out of the way. I don't actually have anything against the concept, but those character designs are f*cking hideous. I mean surely, if they're really going for the demographic I think they're going for then surely they could have hired JJ or MegaSweet* as character designers... No?

On an unrelated note, I happened to watch the German animated film Felidae last night which it's kinda hard to relate anything about without spoiling it. Was enjoying it a lot until the final quarter, when it seemed to abandon it's well-paced detective story and simply race for the finish. The rapid cuts and fade-outs make me wonder if there's a longer version or deleted scenes somewhere. Obvious humanising of the cats necessary for a coherent story aside, it still did a good job of portraying cats as cats away from the cuddly popular perception and the often violent, sexual world they inhabit. Cats are awesome.

*I take no responsibility for any adverse reactions resulting from curious Googling.

Yeah I was getting to that some point, seems they wanted to humanise the ponies like fans did and uguu~ it up a bit. I'm not surprised it for the character designs to look bad. Hopefully the plot and everything else makes it more enjoyable.

Also I heard of Felidae...By Jingo it makes Watership Down look like a bubble bath

The more I think about Equestria Girls the more I think it's a terrible idea. The high school girls setting is so generic after the constantly developing fantasy setting of FiM. Hell, if anything they've aged the characters DOWN which is likely to take away a lot of their appeal (certainly to the older fanbase) and the kids who watch it (do any kids actually watch it?) already have plenty of high school girl franchises to go at without pony crossovers. This seriously looks like Hasbro preparing to shoot themselves in both feet and then (if they cancel FiM for this) the face.

Otaku-san said:
Also I heard of Felidae...By Jingo it makes Watership Down look like a bubble bath
I'm not sure it's quite as grim as all that, but when you see the decapitated corpse of the character who seems set up to be the love interest about two scenes after she's introduced you know it's not all gonna be sunshine and roses.

Last edited by a moderator:
20thCenturyBoy said:
ayase said:

Take credit for the reaction that took place in my trousers as a result of Googling :lol:

Don't know what you come across cause all I the results I got where guro....

you sick [Mod edit: dude, the language filters exist for a reason]

Remember to turn your "show guro results only" filter off Otaku-san... Don't know quite what Google were thinking when they implemented that feature, but whatever.

Marcia Wallace, the voice actress of Edna in The Simpsons, passed away today aged 70. Al Jean has confirmed that the character will be retired, similar to when Phil Hartman passed. This is also unrelated to the announcement that a major character will be killed off in the upcoming season.

Poor Ned...

Back