General Cartoons Thread

theirsbailiff

School Idol
For people who like cartoons that aren't just from Japan

This should be a catch-all thread for all cartoon discussion from places that aren't Japan (Even though all animation is made in South Korea :p). This would be working the same way as the General TV thread, which would mean discussions of:

-What you last watched and are currently watching
-Favourite Cartoons
-Cartoon News

And other stuff like that. So sit back, grab whatever you're eating and relax.

So anyway, I've just gotten up to episode 5 of Gravity Falls and I'm really enjoying all the little stuff added about all the history and 3spooky5me stuff that goes on in the show.

Cartoon Network celebrates 20 years with a very large poster

Just to get a gist of how large it is
cartoonnetwork2.jpg

Man, I miss watching the likes of Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo and The Powerpuff Girls! I look at Cartoon Network nowadays and it just seems to be 24 hours of Ben10 repeats...

Ath said:
Man, I miss watching the likes of Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo and The Powerpuff Girls! I look at Cartoon Network nowadays and it just seems to be 24 hours of Ben10 repeats...

There's still some good shows on Cartoon Network right now; Adventure Time and Regular Show spring to mind alongside The Amazing World of Gumball, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc and Young Justice (Which I haven't watched at all, but I keep hearing from people that it's quite good).

I mean, sure there's still some terrible shows nowadays (Johnny Test (Which I used to like... DON'T JUDGE ME!) and that Annoying Orange cartoon springs to mind), but it's somewhat in a better state right now compared to that time CNReal was around... which I've kinda forgotten when it was still around.

Also, why am I bolding names of shows all of a sudden?

Last edited by a moderator:
theirsbailiff said:
Ath said:

Young Justice (Which I haven't watched at all, but I keep hearing from people that it's quite good).

Young Justice is indeed very good, I only watched the first 5 episodes or so, but still found it to be of excellent quality. I'll also stick up for Ben 10 a bit. It's not the greatest of shows, but it's entertaining enough and I think it's certainly better than a lot of other shows in the market that are aimed at the same demographic (young kids). Admittedly, I've only seen up to the first couple of episodes of Ultimate Alien so don't know how that panned out as it went on. I'll give the show credit for the fact that it tried to mature with its initial audience, even if that did lead to it losing a little bit of its fun along the way.

There's honestly just not a lot out there in terms of quality for young kids these days, a lot of the best animated shows are now ones primarily aimed at teen and older demographics. Awesome shows such as Venture Bros, Archer, Black Dynamite.

Also, why am I bolding names of shows all of a sudden?

Because that's what cool people do :D

/co/ for (semi) civilised people? I'll go along with that.

I'm also looking forward to starting Gravity Falls after everything I've heard about it. Of late, I've been watching a lot of Adventure Time, which IMO is one of the most enjoyable and original western animations around. Glad to see them finally bringing out season sets in the US instead of those ridiculous collections of odd episodes. It does seem pretty divisive, but I love Adventure Time's humour more than anything I've seen in a long time. They seem to understand the potential certain random and unusual things have to be very funny, rather than just presenting anything random as comedy, which is a problem I've encountered with a lot of comedy over the last few years. "It's random, therefore it's funny" seems to be the **** new rule of comedy. Anyway, going off at a bit of a tangent there. Back to the cartoons.

As for old favourites, Batman: The Animated Series is the one that will always stick in my mind and is always a pleasure to revisit on DVD. Other animated shows I watched as a child fell away, but B:TAS is something which stayed with me and I actually look forward to watching with perhaps nieces and nephews (or even adopted future warriors of the coming apocalypse) some day. It didn't talk down to kids and treated them as people with intelligence and emotions, gave several of the comics characters added depth and for me is the definitive incarnation of Batman. As good an actor as you are Mr Bale, Kevin Conroy will always be Batman to me. I have been recommended Gargoyles off the back of my love for B:TAS, which I did start watching but never got very far. I should probably continue with that at some point.

A lot of people seem to like Regular Show, but the promos (which more often than not seem to be full of screaming) put me off.

Yeah to be fair, I've sat through a few episodes of Ben 10 and Ben 10: Alien Force and they were pretty decent. It just feels like whenever I flick over to Cartoon Network that it's always on the air :p (This month is Ben10ber or something which makes it worse than usual!)

I've never gotten round to watching Adventure Time the series, but I remember loving the original short.
ayase said:
As for old favourites, Batman: The Animated Series is the one that will always stick in my mind and is always a pleasure to revisit on DVD. Other animated shows I watched as a child fell away, but B:TAS is something which stayed with me and I actually look forward to watching with perhaps nieces and nephews (or even adopted future warriors of the coming apocalypse) some day. It didn't talk down to kids and treated them as people with intelligence and emotions, gave several of the comics characters added depth and for me is the definitive incarnation of Batman. As good an actor as you are Mr Bale, Kevin Conroy will always be Batman to me. I have been recommended Gargoyles off the back of my love for B:TAS, which I did start watching but never got very far. I should probably continue with that at some point.
Still has one of the greatest intros of any TV show ever.

I caught a couple of episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold a while back, thought it was a laugh and was great fun. My older sister is telling me to watch Ultimate Spider-Man - the 90's series was an old childhood fave of mine so I might have to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ath said:
My older sister is telling me to watch Ultimate Spider-Man - the 90's series was an old childhood fave of mine so I might have to check it out.

I hear it's terrible from some people, so if I were you I'd might steer clear of that show.

I guess that the last cartoon I've seen and enjoyed have been My little pony: friendship is magic and Avatar, the last airbender.

Other than these I like the classics like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain....

Well as a guy who turned 30 earlier in the year I like stuff like the Venture bros, The Boondocks and Archer.
But stuff not aimed at a young adult audience I still enjoy the likes of My Little Pony (I'll watch it if I catch it on TV, I'm not a 'brony') Scooby Doo Mystery Inc is excellent and has plenty of references to the older incarnations and they have an over-arching storyline. I'm a bat-fan so Brave & the bold is great, I like how in a world gone seriously d ark with batman, we can still have this super fun, (mostly) lighthearted show, Didrich Bader is an excellent campy Batman. Though the 90's series is my favourite, I own all 4 imported volumes and both volumes of the Justice League, I'm going to eventually pick up Batman Beyond because that was another great extension of the DCAU mythos.

Oh that last mention reminds me Thundercats (because of Will Friedle) I prefer the new cartoon over the old one, I miss some of the older character designs and some of the voices sseem off in the new one, but I like how psychotic Jackalman is and that's a selling point for me... it's also great to not have Lynne Lipton voicing every single female chracter in the show.

Don't know whether it'd be considered a cartoon as such, but this past week I've really gotten into King of the Hill. The humour is lot more subtle than Family Guy/The Simpsons et al. More than likely going to pick up the series 1-5 boxset that's out over here, shame that they stopped releasing the later series on DVD though.

So with a chronic lack of light-hearted anime in my backlog, I marathoned MLaaTR last week. Needed more Vexus.

vexus_zps87718b41.jpg

Why is evil so appealing to me? Especially evil with a sexy voice... (I blame you for giving me that fetish, Grey DeLisle). And hearing Eartha Kitt say "chizzle your badonkadonk" has got to go down as the improbable highlight of my week. Me and my fetishes aside, this show was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. I ordered the DVD set from Australia after trying and enjoying a couple of eps online (I'm good like that, not at all evil, you see?) and was very pleasantly surprised to see it improve over time, which does however only make it sadder that it was cancelled when it was. Most of the humour I found genuinely amusing, delivered well visually as well as vocally by a cast of fun and different characters (I love Dr. Wakeman, and Killgore) and peppered with clever little references and homages. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea (but then I drink coffee) I absolutely loved the design - I don't think I've ever seen anything which looked so retro but also unique an not an obvious rip-off of an older style. Lingo aside, I imagine this will age very well. Seems to have a bit of a following in Japan too (cutely designed female robots? of course it does).

VoxPhantom said:
Don't know whether it'd be considered a cartoon as such, but this past week I've really gotten into King of the Hill. The humour is lot more subtle than Family Guy/The Simpsons et al. More than likely going to pick up the series 1-5 boxset that's out over here, shame that they stopped releasing the later series on DVD though.

To quote Wikipedia,
King of the Hill is an American animated comedy series created by Mike Judge and Greg Daniels

Don't watch it so much nowadays but it is a good cartoon. As for what western cartoons I watch currently, it is mostly the likes of Simpsons, Archer, The Venture Brothers, Family Guy, American Dad and I sometimes watch the current version of Batman.

Can't beat the old Tom and Jerry's, and Looney Tunes :D

If by cartoon you mean animations in general too, Spawn is one of my favorites, it's a real shame it was stopped and was never concluded though.

chaos said:
I guess that the last cartoon I've seen and enjoyed have been My little pony: friendship is magic and Avatar, the last airbender.

Other than these I like the classics like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain....

I use to watch Pinky and the Brain as a kid and loved it! Not seen it in years, but I always seem to see clips come up around the internet and it seems like it would probably still hold up to how I remember it, tempted to watch some again :p

Oh and I nearly forgot, Ren & Stimpy, I love that show, its completely mad!

EatStatic said:
Can't beat the old Tom and Jerry's, and Looney Tunes :D

If by cartoon you mean animations in general too, Spawn is one of my favorites, it's a real shame it was stopped and was never concluded though.

Oh and I nearly forgot, Ren & Stimpy, I love that show, its completely mad!

Don't mention Spawn - it will remind me of the live action film version. The old Looney Tunes and Ren & Stimpy are always a good watch.

Haha :p A bit of a confession, I quite enjoyed it when I was younger, for what it was, not sure I'd feel the same way now, might be best leaving it as a memory and not completely spoiling it :p

Good ol' Ren and Stimpy, I remember watching it on TV when I was about 5 or so when it somehow ended up on BBC2!

Speaking of Nicktoons, I ended up watching some old episodes of Hey Arnold on Youtube the other day, thought it held up surprisingly well. It was one of my faves on Nickelodeon alongside Rugrats, Doug, KaBlam, Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers.

I caught an episode of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well, it wasn't half bad. Bit weird to hear Raphael's old voice actor now voicing Donatello though.

Guess what I've been watching.

I wonder if a Western animation renaissance may indeed be upon us. MLP, Adventure time and Gravity Falls are far more entertaining and amusing to me than any episode of the current crop of "adult" animations (which fall pretty flat now they can't get laughs off taboo breaking because their target audience is so utterly desensitized to everything - or is that just me?) and the sun-bleached bones of a dead horse being whipped for all it's worth that is zombie Simpsons. What a difference a little originality, some genuinely well written vocal and visual comedy and a plot makes, eh?

Ath said:
Speaking of Nicktoons, I ended up watching some old episodes of Hey Arnold on Youtube the other day, thought it held up surprisingly well. It was one of my faves on Nickelodeon alongside Rugrats, Doug, KaBlam, Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers.
I watched most of those too and remember enjoying them, can hardly remember them now though.

ayase said:
I wonder if a Western animation renaissance may indeed be upon us. MLP, Adventure time and Gravity Falls are far more entertaining and amusing to me than any episode of the current crop of "adult" animations (which fall pretty flat now they can't get laughs off taboo breaking because their target audience is so utterly desensitized to everything - or is that just me?) and the sun-bleached bones of a dead horse being whipped for all it's worth that is zombie Simpsons. What a difference a little originality, some genuinely well written vocal and visual comedy and a plot makes, eh?
I really want to give Adventure Time a go, looks very surreal and cool and I keep hearing how good it is, and that it's suppose to be quite dark for a kids show.

And yeah I agree about most 'adult' animations being pretty flat now, and with the Simpsons too, just isn't as good anymore, I think the main problem with it is that it feels it needs to be funny and eccentric every second with no rest, and so it's too in your face, which I feel a lot of American comedy is like (these days especially), which is probably why I'm not as into American Comedies the same, a bit of subtlety can be a very good thing, it doesn't have to be in your face all the time to understand it.

Back