General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

aren't the picture quality on those kinda bad.
I mean, they were released over 20 odd years ago so they're not going to be oustanding quality, but if you're willing to take that into account (as well as not be a serious videophile...)

aren't the picture quality on those kinda bad.
If you're comparing it to BD or HD streaming then it's not as crisp, no. Obviously.

Ive always wondered, were VHS anime or foreign stuff in general dub only? 😱
The early stuff was, dude — stuff like Akira and Ghost in the Shell — but one of my old Manga VHS tapes has trailers for some of their other titles, some of which were available in a choice of sub or dub form (sort of like a precursor to AL's split Lupin III release if you will). The subtitled tapes were a smidge more expensive, presumably aimed at a smaller market at the time. 🙂

Bilingual sub/dub with remastered video and Dolby 5.1 audio, 7 volumes released. NPC and OA versions of Episodes 21-24 included. Box comes as an option with volume 1. Individual volumes came with silvery slipcovers and informational booklets.
So contains both options for the episodes

Personally I'm dead chuft to have come across those volumes in CEX, and arguably could be considered a steal compared to what some cheeky beggars will insist on charging for them (knowing that it's not a series that is currently in print and all). The cases were actually in really good condition considering these things are over 20 years old (no rips in the clear plastic sleeves, and no rips on the cover artwork). The disks show obvious signs of wear, but the ones Neil has tried so far all work perfectly (and he even assures me that they can be buffed if they need it).

So, as someone who wants to watch stuff legally and who can't be bothered with imports, nor do I want to bother myself with streaming services (nothing at all wrong with it from an objective stance, it's just not for me), I'm more than happy with what I've found. I'm not a videophile, and I accept that the DVD PQ isn't going to match Blu-ray or HD streaming PQ, but I'm more than happy with being able to watch it in the way that I want to watch it.*

*(When I actually get to watch it since Neil has custody of the disks right now!) 😅

I'm pretty sure the rights to license a UK release on Blu-ray exist, but they're stored in a Klein bottle and surrounded by an AT field somewhere in Terminal Dogma 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in a non-evangelion related thought.

I received today Slayers Try BD from Spain, and decided to check out its quality.

My thoughts are as follow :3

I actually think this is the best version they've done so far in regards to Slayers. While it is an upscale, and like all these upscales some detail has been lost. The edges from what I can tell when viewing seem a bit sharper, and the colours are no longer washed out making it quite enjoyable when watching.

If you can pick this up for around 30 euros, and are willing to either mux in the dub, or attach subtitles. I find the set not to be that bad. Its about the same as what Japan is currently doing (The ghosting from what I can tell got introduced into the DVD master by JP so its not disappearing)

Some episodes seemed kind of bright, but its hard to compare that to the US DVD due to the interlacing and overall kind of naff picture, but I'm happy overall with this.

Raw BD Screencaps

The DVDs wasn’t the problem it was people acting like it’s optimal way to watch it one, the remaster is very good so I wouldn’t go back and two it is cheaper to import the JP set (SE) than a pre owned platinum set. Which is wrong, I would have loved to own it but now the JP SE exists I won’t pay that price. (Example someone selling the platinum set for £200 on eBay)
Was anyone acting that way? I wasnt. It's literally the only way I have to watch it on my tv atm. If I could watch netflix on it I would as I do want to see the new dub. £200 is a ludicrous amount though!

Also the original dub really isn't as bad as people are making out. It's not modern day good but compared to other animes from back in the day that I've seen it's one of the better ones.

Was anyone acting that way? I wasnt. It's literally the only way I have to watch it on my tv atm. If I could watch netflix on it I would as I do want to see the new dub. £200 is a ludicrous amount though!

Also the original dub really isn't as bad as people are making out. It's not modern day good but compared to other animes from back in the day that I've seen it's one of the better ones.
People are going oh look how valuable the ADV sets are, and its really annoying me I have spent 3 years on and off looking for them. Its people not realising how rare they are. (Its more general internet than here)

People are going oh look how valuable the ADV sets are, and its really annoying me I have spent 3 years on and off looking for them. Its people not realising how rare they are. (Its more general internet than here)
Fair. I can see that being annoying for sure.

I got mine for £50 and that was before the Netflix news. The box is a bit battered, but so far the discs are fine (I've been comparing old and new dubs).
Maybe people with nostalgia goggles are saying the old dub is better and thus prices might have risen or I just got lucky with the seller I spotted.

Yeah they will rise further now that’s why I hope if it ever gets a home release they will be able to access the original Dub. To prevent scalpers.

Taken from the DARLING in the FRANXX discussion in the Viewing Journal thread:
It taking the biology angle of being homophobic doesn't make it not homophobic.
That's a quite extraordinary accusation to level against such an intelligently written show, and in my view is an insult to its creators.

The inability of the FRANXX units to function without an XX/XY pairing is very clearly depicted as a disappointment and a setback in the screenplay, and the story arc of the character who would most like such a system of piloting to be possible is handled entirely sympathetically.

It frustrates me when such a strong word as the one highlighted above is used in such a disappointingly throwaway manner, seemingly without much in the way of effort having been made to properly understand the show and its themes.

After all, probably FRANXX's single most important message is about the struggle to break out of a restrictive framework that's been put in place by those who've come before us, and which continues to exist around us. Is this itself not worthy of praise as a way of framing important current issues and shortcomings and pointing out what can still be improved in society?

To offer a more inclusive depiction of the society seen within the series would amount to no more than shallow pandering and would hugely dilute one of the key messages it's trying to put across. In fact, it would be so out of place that it would probably then be decried as tokenism. And rightly so.

They wrote a gay character I would never cared if they didn't write a gay character for Ichigo , they did tokenism then ****** it up.
Thats why I care they could and maybe have ignored it but oh way everyones hates the end anyway so it won't be remembered for much longer.

Why i use homophobia throwaway is Ive faced a lot of it in life and in anime circles occasionally as it does lose its severity. I think anime has big mountain to climb in terms of representation yes YOI was groundbreaking but there needs to be more. And BL is a gray area in terms of representation and is a show by show basis.

Back