General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

As someone who absolutely adores Puella Magi Madoka Magica, it's embarrassing to see the reactions some people are having about many critics and blogs not including Rebellion in their Oscar nomination predictions. An Oscar nomination is simply not going to happen because:
1) It's a sequel to an obscure TV series that requires full knowledge of said TV series to make a lick of sense.
2) It only had a limited theatrical run as opposed to other films in the category from big name name studios.
3) Connected to #2, but it's up against the likes of Frozen, Monster's University and Despicable Me 2 - three films from top US animation studios.
4) It's not American and isn't even in English.
5) The title is hella long and nonsensical.

I mean, I'd love for it to receive a nomination, I really would. I just don't see it as possible.

reborn said:
Seems to be hating on ANN Staff (and encyclopedia editors?).
Not exclusively (although he has been banned from ANN under multiple usernames) - you should see his rants about Fencedude and others on YouTube.
And I don't him ranting in a video, he makes videos that are pages of text.

I found the Miiverse community for the High School DxD game and it allows you to post pictures...oh dear xD.

Lawrence said:
Your first point is the only one that should reasonably - if at all - have any bearing on the outcome of the voting. As the judging should - in theory- be done on the quality of the film rather than who is pushing it.
Yeah, it's such a shame we have the Academy deciding though.

Anything with a half decent narrative and a little effort should be able to outdo any of the films listed in your second point. None of them are what I would consider "modern classics" by any means. In fact, if anything I'd be more surprised if Monsters University got the award.
Pixar Power and Disney er...Disneyness though. But yeah, this year was pretty weak all around for animation.

And why the heck didn't FUNimation put Wolf Children forward? Did it not qualify for some reason or are FUNimation still pouty about Summer Wars?

Campaigning for an Oscar nomination is a long and expensive process. I'm not surprised at all that Funimation didn't bother with Wolf Children this time. Are there people out there who seriously thought that Madoka Magica Rebellion was in with a shout? That's not a jibe at the quality of the film mind you, but rather the realistic likelihood of it ever making the nominee list.

Ath said:
Campaigning for an Oscar nomination is a long and expensive process. I'm not surprised at all that Funimation didn't bother with Wolf Children this time. Are there people out there who seriously thought that Madoka Magica Rebellion was in with a shout? That's not a jibe at the quality of the film mind you, but rather the realistic likelihood of it ever making the nominee list.
And even in regards to the quality of the movie, as a die-hard Madoka fan, I'm mixed on it. I was more impressed with what it's opened the franchise to now, as opposed to the film itself.

Lawrence said:
Why are you impressed? If anything Madoka doesn't need another series. The original tv series had a perfectly reasonable ending, as it is. I refuse to believe it can get any better by drawing out the story further.
To be honest, I still hold the belief that Rebellion shouldn't have happened and that it the series should have been left as is - it had a perfectly closed ending.

However, with the events of Rebellion, we now have a God (Madoka), a devil (Homura) and the one human who can remember the actions of both of them (Sayaka). In effect, Sayaka truly has become a Magical Girl of justice in that she is left as the sole judge between the two. That's what interests me so much and what can happen with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
Lawrence said:
Why are you impressed? If anything Madoka doesn't need another series. The original tv series had a perfectly reasonable ending, as it is. I refuse to believe it can get any better by drawing out the story further.
To be honest, I still hold the belief that Rebellion shouldn't have happened and that it the series should have been left as is - it had a perfectly closed ending.

However, with the events of Rebellion, we now have a God (Madoka), a devil (Homura) and the one human who can remember the actions of both of them (Sayaka). In effect, Sayaka truly has become a Magical Girl of justice in that she is left as the sole judge between the two. That's what interests me so much and what can happen with that.

I think it's ok I don't mind it having a second season or movie I think it's a awesome series that should give more to fans

Whilst debating whether I could be bothered to regurgitate my rant about why I hated Psycho-Pass on another board, it finally hit me what it was that it reminded me of, other than GitS.

RW1vev3.jpg

I felt the need to share.

Professor Irony said:
Whilst debating whether I could be bothered to regurgitate my rant about why I hated Psycho-Pass on another board, it finally hit me what it was that it reminded me of, other than GitS.

RW1vev3.jpg

I felt the need to share.

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!

I was really looking forward to Psycho Pass getting a UK release in the future but if it's like WHR, I'm not so sure now, although I do really like GitS.

Admittedly, I didn't watch much of it, but I was bitterly disappointed in Psycho-Pass. It has a similar police procedural type setup to GitS and WHR, but it seemed to me like they'd responded to accusations of GitS being difficult to follow by giving us Baby's First Cyberpunk Adventure, populated with cardboard characters. I do seem to be in the minority on this one, however, so your mileage may vary.

It's official, I just can't go back to Naruto, just can't get into anymore. I think 90 odd episodes was enough, pity I've got the remaining five seasons, the triple movie pack, the first 2 seasons of Shippuden and the first 2 Shippuden movies.

Should I just power through?

Dan said:
Lawrence said:
It only gets worse man. And the remaining three seasons of the original series are just filler episodes. Might as well flog them.

Cheers, will do.

Just skip the fillers and should be just a couple more episodes. AS far as i remember the last 2 years frm the first series were jus fillers so thats around 100 episodies. Around episode 145 its the best fight of the first series... in case you wanna know that... one that you not forget while you keep watching Naruto. I never watched all the fillers frm the first series when they were airing in Japan, I just skipped.

bakum4tsu said:
Dan said:
Lawrence said:
It only gets worse man. And the remaining three seasons of the original series are just filler episodes. Might as well flog them.

Cheers, will do.

Just skip the fillers and should be just a couple more episodes. AS far as i remember the last 2 years frm the first series were jus fillers so thats around 100 episodies. Around episode 145 its the best fight of the first series... in case you wanna know that... one that you not forget while you keep watching Naruto. I never watched all the fillers frm the first series when they were airing in Japan, I just skipped.

Made my way through every episode, some fillers are better than others so it wasn't all negative.

Forgot to mention I'd started watching Naruto again and it's got pretty good. Just finished series 5 and started series 6

Naruto and Sasuke have just started to fight

Has any of the UK distributors ever thought of giving extra value to their releases by including a digital copy (either stored on the disc which is copied over to the PC via the input of a code) or via a download?

Kite said:
Has any of the UK distributors ever thought of giving extra value to their releases by including a digital copy (either stored on the disc which is copied over to the PC via the input of a code) or via a download?

Manga have recently mentioned looking into this.

I think in many cases they'd need to negotiate extra rights to do it so it would probably only apply to new acquisitions (if they ever decided to go ahead). I have never used a digital copy from a disc I owned ^^;

Perhaps a future version of Wakanim would be capable of making this work for anime, if you could link physical purchases to your account.

R

Back