General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Rui said:
Perhaps a future version of Wakanim would be capable of making this work for anime, if you could link physical purchases to your account.

I think this was one of the ideas thrown around when the UK was first introduced to Wakanim too, so I'd definitely like to see it happen. Even if it was just for the newer shows going forward I'd very happily take advantage of it.

Are there any anime shows that have 1 hour episodes instead of just half an hour? I can't think of any. It's surely not such an unfeasible idea is it? Sometimes 12 one hour eps can flow better than 24 half an hour eps.

Can't think of any series that was fully made up of hour episodes, but I know a few sneaked em in. Crest of the Stars finishes with a double length episode, Heaven's Memo Pad opened with one (which was also its best episode). Think GTO had a few as well?

vashdaman said:
Are there any anime shows that have 1 hour episodes instead of just half an hour? I can't think of any. It's surely not such an unfeasible idea is it? Sometimes 12 one hour eps can flow better than 24 half an hour eps.

I'm not sure if it counts but Gintama had a 1 hour episode pilot which was split into two parts on Crunchyroll and elsewhere.

I think GTO also had a lengthy pilot episode.

Now that I remember, Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar has lengthy episodes (which was why it was split into two sets from Funimation).

Nothing that maintained that pacing?

Another thing is sometimes it's just painful when you're really into a show and have to wait a week for the next episode knowing it will only be half an hour. I hated it so much I used to try watch My Little Monster only every other week while it was streaming. I would often get too fiendish for the next ep and break though.

There must be at least one show in history of anime that's done this seeing how much Japan loves animation. Google isn't coming up with anything though.

GolGotha said:
Each episode of Hellsing Ultimate is 50 minutes long.

Seems like cheating throwing an OAV series into the mix.

I'd suspect the only place you'd consistently find long episodes is in an OAV series, and there must be a few more other than Hellsing?

Figure 17 is one show with long episodes (I remember this being a talking point when the DVDs were coming out in the US), and I'm sure there's another I've seen, though I can't think of what it was for the life of me.

R

Just Passing Through said:
Legend of the Dragon Kings
Oh mah gawd. I remember watching this on Channel 4 in the mid-90s. It was terrible but the novelty of anime on the telly was enough to make me watch the whole thing.

I do wish the 45-50 minute format was more common for TV anime since it's rare that a 20 minute episode can tell a self-contained story that feels substantial. For serials it's not such an issue so long as I'm not watching as the show airs, in which case it's like taking a nibble of a biscuit then putting it back in the tin.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne had 50-ish minute episodes. I think maybe the producers just realised they had twelve episodes made up of six two-parter stories and decided to join them together. I would personally say that because the total runtime is the same as a twelve episode series then it is not a collection of OAVs and is just a normal series. I think Towa no Quon was the same iirc.

robot monkey said:
Kite said:
Has any of the UK distributors ever thought of giving extra value to their releases by including a digital copy (either stored on the disc which is copied over to the PC via the input of a code) or via a download?

Manga have recently mentioned looking into this.
Regarding Ultraviolet, Manga said no.

Since Anime Limited are offering DTO episodes via Wakanim and also digital copies of Mai Mai Miracle via kickstarter, I don't see why it would be impossible for them to offer something like this, unless the costs outweigh the rewards.

mangaman74 said:
Just Passing Through said:
Legend of the Dragon Kings
Broken Blade spring to mind
I thought Broken Blade was six 50 minute movies otherwise Mardock Scramble would also count.
You're still talking OVAs and movies, the length of which is only restricted by budget. TV anime have to fit into a rigid scheduling framework, and you know how Japan likes structure.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like most of them are either crap or too raunchy for a man my age (Rin) unfortunately, but Katanagatari looks great. I remember it catching my eye a while back.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I do wish the 45-50 minute format was more common for TV anime since it's rare that a 20 minute episode can tell a self-contained story that feels substantial. For serials it's not such an issue so long as I'm not watching as the show airs, in which case it's like taking a nibble of a biscuit then putting it back in the tin.

Exactly! I can't handle waiting for one 20 min episode a week.

Speaking of suggestions, I've been completely out of the loop when it comes to recent shows.
I've been looking for something to watch, preferably on Blu-Ray (anime on HD is rather lovely :D), but most recent releases don't appeal to me in the slightest.
Can't quite put my finger on why, but I think most shows I've looked into play it rather safe, rather generic, even in terms of animation.

I'm looking for something a bit "slower", less action more mystery, with a darker, mature look.
Any suggestions?

A few completely random anime works I've enjoyed, from different times and genres, for reference:
-Speed Grapher
-Paranoia Agent
-Requiem From The Darkness
-Noir
-Gantz
-Red Garden
-Hellsing (TV series; I haven't seen the OVAs)
-Ghost in the Shell (the films)
-Lupin the 3rd (both the classic shows, and the recent Fujiko Mine spin-off)
-Detective Conan (aka Case Closed)
-Excel Saga

thanks

Funktion said:
I'm looking for something a bit "slower", less action more mystery, with a darker, mature look.
Any suggestions?
Have you ever considered Monster? It's currently being released by Siren Visual in Australia on DVD, so it doesn't fulfill your BD request, but it really is an outstanding series.

Back