General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

That gives me hope though. I was recently told by a dyslexia/dyspraxia tester that she thought I was "on the spectrum" (even though it's not her area of expertise). So maybe, just maybe, a savant like me could himself the object of some queens romantic obsession too...lol

Cheers though, sounds worth checking out. That's one thing about White Album too, it's also set in (more around) university and 20 yr olds instead of high schoolers.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this matter as I only have a tiny number of Japanese soundtrack CDs for anime shows but just how common is it to find seemingly American singers singing in English on them?

Just that with the Kill La kill soundtrack CD I notice it features this & I have found this on the other soundtrack CDs I have.

You won't get it with everything, but it's fairly common. I think it's considered cool to have a bit of English in there somewhere, however non-sensical it may end up being.

Professor Irony said:
Noticed this rather damning inditement of Crunchyroll posted on another forum earlier on today. I question the accuracy of the numbers being quoted (no sources given), and it's hardly the language of an objective observer, but it's certainly food for thought.
Wow, what an angry fellow. I think I'll stick to being a 'retard' and paying a Crunchyroll subscription, rather than re-entering the angst ridden world of fansubs.

I know the guy was pretty mad and talking a lot but...
tl;dr fansubs offer better editing and typesetting. Why pay for something inferior?
This is pretty much where I stand with this. When I was introduced to anime I just did what everyone else did. I never knew about these services, I didn't have any money. Now I buy a hell of a lot of anime from the US and Japan when available, but my stance on simulcasts hasn't changed. My view is "Oh, I can pay for a service which isn't as convenient, the content doesn't look as nice, has no OP/ED subtitles/karaoke/typesetting and many shows are geolocked/split among different services so I wouldn't be able to watch them anyway."
I hate to say it, but unless they can match what the groups out there do and offer an equal ease of service then I doubt I'd ever use them.
Wakanim's probably come the closest with it's DTO since I usually watch simulcast stuff on a tablet on the way to/from work.

Hey, I'm not angry! That's just my writing style. The only numbers I made up are in the first paragraph of the Supporting the industry? section. But even then, I was ridiculously generous with my estimates to the point where I'm undervaluing the support imports make and overvaluing the support CR provides, just to make a point on how little money it gives. Unless CR posts actual numbers, including ad revenue, and where all that money ends up going we'll never truly know. But they wont, presumably because people would realise how little they're helping.

Importing official merch, even stuff like scale figurines or soundtracks, is a much better way of showing support. Official streaming websites are incompetent and illegal streaming sites are just awful.

Oh god how do I link on this website!? Never mind, fixed it.

Professor Irony said:
Noticed this rather damning inditement of Crunchyroll posted on another forum earlier on today. I question the accuracy of the numbers being quoted (no sources given), and it's hardly the language of an objective observer, but it's certainly food for thought.
I got about as far as,
anime community (which, in general, is just a bunch of insufferable ****s)
Then I stopped, because the irony was so thick I choked.

Last edited by a moderator:
AntAce said:
Professor Irony said:
I got about as far as,
anime community (which, in general, is just a bunch of insufferable ****s)
Then I stopped, because the irony was so thick I choked.
I'm referring to these sorts of people, along with >90% of Western anime fans.
1337058875776.png

If you find that I've struck a nerve and thus find me insufferable, then I whole heartedly apologise :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
Professor Irony said:
I got as far as "Crunchyroll a s---" and decided that I can't take someone with such poor grammar seriously.

Likewise. And unless you have solid proof behind your numbers, then I'm not going to take any of your ranting seriously. You do have a point that buying official merch is a good way to support the series, but that doesn't mean CR isn't another valid way either. Personally, I'd rather pay £40/year for a CR subscription, rather than having to spend ages downloading a file. When you consider the amount of time it takes to download some files, £40 a year to not have to wait for that isn't bad, to me.

That was another one. They threw out random figures without any sources for them. For example, I could say "Out of a £5 monthly Crunchyroll subscription, £25 goes to anime licensors, while £500 goes to the Illuminati". Doesn't make it true.

Joshawott said:
Professor Irony said:
I got as far as "Crunchyroll a s---" and decided that I can't take someone with such poor grammar seriously.
You being unfamiliar with common internet culture is not me being retarded. You have near enough 5000 posts here, perhaps you should visit more than one place of discussion now and then? Also if you read through this thread before randomly commenting you'll see there is only one paragraph that I have no source for and that's because Crunchyroll wont provide any numbers. The only reason I can conclude is because they know they'll lose business when people realise how little they're actually providing to the studios. No, this isn't a business matter. Wakanim manage to provide where your money goes perfectly fine.

st_owly said:
Joshawott said:
Professor Irony said:

Likewise. And unless you have solid proof behind your numbers, then I'm not going to take any of your ranting seriously. You do have a point that buying official merch is a good way to support the series, but that doesn't mean CR isn't another valid way either. Personally, I'd rather pay £40/year for a CR subscription, rather than having to spend ages downloading a file. When you consider the amount of time it takes to download some files, £40 a year to not have to wait for that isn't bad, to me.
You seem to have a poor idea of how the internet works. When you watch something on Crunchyroll you are downloading data. This is no different from any other means of acquiring anime (direct download or torrenting). Believe it or not, but you can watch whatever anime you're downloading as it downloads in this day and age. Amazing, isn't it? But you don't even need to do that if you have a half-decent connection since a whole 720p series (that isn't bit starved to death, unlike Crunchyroll releases) will take roughly 15 minutes to complete.

Joshawott said:
That was another one. They threw out random figures without any sources for them. For example, I could say "Out of a £5 monthly Crunchyroll subscription, £25 goes to anime licensors, while £500 goes to the Illuminati". Doesn't make it true.
You know you could try compare prices yourself if you're so frustrated that I didn't have the time to make a big long list of sources. I'm not wikipedia. But since you seem so incapable here is an example for you!

Crunchyroll Racing Miku 1/7: £91 + free(?) shipping.
AmiAmi Racing Miku 1/7: ¥5000 + ¥1100 RSAL + ¥500 proxy service (if you want to avoid customs). That's ¥6600 if you couldn't figure it out. Or about £39.

£91 compared to £39 for the exact same thing. Sorry to burst your little CR bubble.

I don't use Crunchyroll's shop. So I'm going to set that aside as irrelevant; there are shops which price higher than others all over the Internet (and high street) and it doesn't bother me as I can decide where to buy.

Some fallacies in your essay.

Crunchyroll commissions its own subtitles (or uses existing ones). I don't believe they do them in house - Quarkboy's subtitling company in Japan has definitely done work for them before, and it's obvious that different shows are done by different subtitling companies, with variations in style, formatting and rendering of names. There was even a protracted debate on the topic of honourifics when one of their subtitling partners (MxMedia if you want to Google) changed their policies. On the whole I find Crunchyroll subtitles on par with official releases. There are sometimes mistakes and typos, however I want to dispute this part:

"Can you imagine buying an officially translated novel or manga, only to find crude mistakes? I’d be annoyed."

This happens with almost every kind of release. It's not just an anime thing at all; I've found major errors in bestselling novels and mainstream movie subtitles too. To say Crunchyroll isn't worth paying for because of this is simply nitpicking. They even accept submissions for corrections so they can bring problems up with their teams if needed (they don't always get fixed, but several I've reported have been). Complaints about literal versus localised translations are simply a matter of personal taste.

You also assert that Crunchyroll keeps all their ad revenue. That's not what their CEO Kun Gao said in an interview:

"One week after the episode airs, it is made available to all viewers with ads in lower quality. The revenue generated from ads and subscription is shared back with license holders in an equitable way, based on viewership. Crunchyroll keeps a percentage to cover costs and operations and from there we generate a profit as well."

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/15/ ... ew/#!rlQA5

What's your source?

The US anime companies use Crunchyroll (and other streaming sites) to decide which titles get localised for BD (versus DVD) and which get dubs. This is not speculation; Sentai Filmworks and FUNimation have both spoken about it openly. Manga UK relies on the US studios for their materials and dubs (sometimes via Australia). By not participating in the 'voting', you are deliberately letting people with bad taste - like me - pick which shows get better local releases in years to come. Your choice.

The "merchandise is better for the industry" argument is inherently delusional as many shows do not have merchandise. Sure, if you like the big hits you can pay way more into the industry than you can with an annual Crunchyroll subscription by buying mountains of figures and OSTs. If you like something unpopular or one of those five-minute gag shows, though, you're lucky if there's anything more than the soundtrack or a few pin badges to buy. And sometimes a good show has a soundtrack I don't actually want, or pin badges I won't use - so pontificating about merchandising makes no sense. I loved watching Gifuu Doudou on Crunchyroll recently. Am I going to buy a life-sized bust of Naoe Kanetsugu to support it? No, I'm not.

However, if I've seen something on Crunchyroll and loved it, I'm more likely to buy the Japanese Blu-ray release. They can hit me twice for differing amounts of money for the same show, and I'm more likely to buy shows I saw on Crunchyroll than blind buys. I'm not seeing how that's a bad thing for the anime industry. It's not like I buy less just because I have an annual subscription to Crunchyroll.

Ultimately nobody is holding a gun to the head of big corporations like TV Tokyo and Aniplex. They're putting their stuff on Crunchyroll because they think it's a good idea, and as long as they're doing it I'm going to return the favour and watch their stuff. And pay for it.

So in other words, if you don't want to pay to watch anime, that's your decision. At least you're paying for other anime-related items from a handful of your favourite shows. From the rude tone though, I would like to personally ask that you try to avoid the assumption that everyone who avoids fansubs is a blind fanboy with no understanding of how things work. From where I'm standing, you don't come off so well yourself.

R

Rui said:
I don't use Crunchyroll's shop. So I'm going to set that aside as irrelevant; there are shops which price higher than others all over the Internet (and high street) and it doesn't bother me as I can decide where to buy.

Some fallacies in your essay.

Crunchyroll commissions its own subtitles (or uses existing ones). I don't believe they do them in house - Quarkboy's subtitling company in Japan has definitely done work for them before, and it's obvious that different shows are done by different subtitling companies, with variations in style, formatting and rendering of names. There was even a protracted debate on the topic of honourifics when one of their subtitling partners (MxMedia if you want to Google) changed their policies. On the whole I find Crunchyroll subtitles on par with official releases. There are sometimes mistakes and typos, however I want to dispute this part:

"Can you imagine buying an officially translated novel or manga, only to find crude mistakes? I’d be annoyed."

This happens with almost every kind of release. It's not just an anime thing at all; I've found major errors in bestselling novels and mainstream movie subtitles too. To say Crunchyroll isn't worth paying for because of this is simply nitpicking. They even accept submissions for corrections so they can bring problems up with their teams if needed (they don't always get fixed, but several I've reported have been). Complaints about literal versus localised translations are simply a matter of personal taste.
Where they get them from doesn't matter. If they're outsourcing their subtitles and those subtitles are bad, they're doing something wrong. Yes, mistakes will happen. In everything. The issue is the frequency of mistakes. If I notice less mistakes in a fansub than whatever Crunchyroll puts out (again, I don't care where they originate from because at the end of the day what's on my screen is what's on my screen) then there's a problem.
Rui said:
You also assert that Crunchyroll keeps all their ad revenue. That's not what their CEO Kun Gao said in an interview:

"One week after the episode airs, it is made available to all viewers with ads in lower quality. The revenue generated from ads and subscription is shared back with license holders in an equitable way, based on viewership. Crunchyroll keeps a percentage to cover costs and operations and from there we generate a profit as well."

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/15/ ... ew/#!rlQA5

What's your source?
So if I pull something out of my ass, it's wrong. If the CEO pulls something out of his ass, it's the truth? I have lost my original source but the original deal was 50/50 and they keep ad revenue (it might have been a staff post on their forums). Whatever they say, at any point in time, can't be taken as fact unless they provide numbers. Which they wont. And again, similar companies have proven they've got no issue in doing so.

Rui said:
The US anime companies use Crunchyroll (and other streaming sites) to decide which titles get localised for BD (versus DVD) and which get dubs. This is not speculation; Sentai Filmworks and FUNimation have both spoken about it openly. Manga UK relies on the US studios for their materials and dubs (sometimes via Australia). By not participating in the 'voting', you are deliberately letting people with bad taste - like me - pick which shows get better local releases in years to come. Your choice.
I don't care for dubs and if something doesn't get a local release and I want to own it I will import it. In fact, if I like it enough I'd rather import it than buy a localised release. Though I very much doubt they stick closely to level of popularity on streaming sites alone. Funi have made US releases of shows never broadcast on any streaming site legally and they sold just fine, whereas Madoka Magica sold like **** here (despite being popular online AND being on streaming sites).

Rui said:
The "merchandise is better for the industry" argument is inherently delusional as many shows do not have merchandise. Sure, if you like the big hits you can pay way more into the industry than you can with an annual Crunchyroll subscription by buying mountains of figures and OSTs. If you like something unpopular or one of those five-minute gag shows, though, you're lucky if there's anything more than the soundtrack or a few pin badges to buy. And sometimes a good show has a soundtrack I don't actually want, or pin badges I won't use - so pontificating about merchandising makes no sense. I loved watching Gifuu Doudou on Crunchyroll recently. Am I going to buy a life-sized bust of Naoe Kanetsugu to support it? No, I'm not.
If you believe not many shows get merch then you need to browse stores other than Crunchyroll. You liked Gifuu Doudou? Want to support it, without buying anything large? Import the BDs/DVDs (although why you'd want to is beyond me, it looks god awful). You're just being silly if you think your only option is to buy merch. Again, if you see CR as the only way of supporting some small show then I'll remind you that your money will also be going towards terrible shows. You can't choose what to support, you're giving money to both the good and the bad.

On a similar note, many people complain about the excessive moe and fanservice in shows as of late. Guess what, if enough people properly support shows that aren't moe or riddled with fanservice then more of those shows will be made. CR doesn't allow this option (unless you want to buy from their hideously overpriced store)
Rui said:
However, if I've seen something on Crunchyroll and loved it, I'm more likely to buy the Japanese Blu-ray release. They can hit me twice for differing amounts of money for the same show, and I'm more likely to buy shows I saw on Crunchyroll than blind buys. I'm not seeing how that's a bad thing for the anime industry. It's not like I buy less just because I have an annual subscription to Crunchyroll.
I no longer understand what you're talking about. My arguments have been fansub vs crunchyripoff. I still know what I'm buying before I've bought it. I saw Lain twice before buying it and never once watched a stream.

Rui said:
Ultimately nobody is holding a gun to the head of big corporations like TV Tokyo and Aniplex. They're putting their stuff on Crunchyroll because they think it's a good idea, and as long as they're doing it I'm going to return the favour and watch their stuff. And pay for it.

So in other words, if you don't want to pay to watch anime, that's your decision. At least you're paying for other anime-related items from a handful of your favourite shows. From the rude tone though, I would like to personally ask that you try to avoid the assumption that everyone who avoids fansubs is a blind fanboy with no understanding of how things work. From where I'm standing, you don't come off so well yourself.

R
Stuff is on CR because why not. Why not accept a little extra revenue for sending some files off to someone? Of course, they could be doing something different (and better). They could sell individual episodes as they air on some iTunes-type platform. Sadly, they don't. So they're going to get less of my money unless they've made something good enough to warrant me importing anything.

If you, or anyone else, wishes to continue wasting their money for something of lesser quality go right ahead. It's not like I came here bringing the subject up, or go around on CR forums telling everyone they're an idiot (I'd be there forever!) It was a post on my blog that is my opinion and I'm not forcing anyone to live by it. If you disagree with it, fine. But at least cover more than a few of the many, many points I made (ranging from video quality, to typesetting to editing).

You being unfamiliar with common internet culture is not me being retarded. You have near enough 5000 posts here, perhaps you should visit more than one place of discussion now and then?
It seems you know next to nothing about me and honestly, I'd prefer it if you spoke to me with a civil tongue, instead of making it seem like you're looking down on me. I never called you retarded (even if it wasn't a vague internet culture reference, bad grammar is not an instant diagnosis of mental retardation) and you're right, I haven't read this entire thread because unlike what you said, I visit more than one place on the internet. I have however, since searched through all of your posts (not just in this thread, but on the forum as a whole) and I have yet to see such figures you mentioned in your blog post.
Fair enough with the Crunchyroll store prices (I've personally only used them once for a t-shirt, because I don't want to get shot by customs when I can order the same things from UK sites). However, what about the break-up of revenue in regards to how much the licensors get/how much Crunchyroll keeps/demographic of subscribers compared to non-subscribers?

In regards to why Crunchyroll don't supply exact numbers of their deals, have you thought that maybe they don't out of the risk of a competitor coming along, seeing the details of Crunchyroll's deals and then deliberately undercutting that to try and steal business from Crunchyroll?

I don't care for dubs and if something doesn't get a local release and I want to own it I will import it. In fact, if I like it enough I'd rather import it than buy a localised release. Though I very much doubt they stick closely to level of popularity on streaming sites alone. Funi have made US releases of shows never broadcast on any streaming site legally and they sold just fine, whereas Madoka Magica sold like **** here (despite being popular online AND being on streaming sites).
If I remember correctly, Puella Magi Madoka Magica was never available for legal streaming in the UK. Also, the reason it "sold like ****" could also be equated to the fact that AniplexUSA were releasing region-free blu-rays with absolutely amazing extras, compared to MangaUK's barebones edition which was released later on. In fact, its US legal streaming only started around the time of its home video release in that region.

If you believe not many shows get merch then you need to browse stores other than Crunchyroll. You liked Gifuu Doudou? Want to support it, without buying anything large? Import the BDs/DVDs (although why you'd want to is beyond me, it looks god awful). You're just being silly if you think your only option is to buy merch. Again, if you see CR as the only way of supporting some small show then I'll remind you that your money will also be going towards terrible shows. You can't choose what to support, you're giving money to both the good and the bad.
I'm fairly sure that Rui shops at a lot other places than Crunchyroll...in fact, I've been quite surprised with just the number of things they've been able to source and post here.

I was wondering

Why don't we have a number thingy that shows us the number of anime/hentai there is in existence like

Movies
XXXX

OVAs
XXXX

Specials
XXXX

Series
XXXX

Hentai
XXXX

And it shows us how many there is.

You don't have to answer this I was just putting this question here because It was on my mind

Back