Funimation set to announce 10 new licenses in December

Let's not forget that Funimation has access to Geneon's sales data. Strange as it may seem, Gad Guard might have been a big seller. Or perhaps the cash-strapped Gonzo is practically giving its licenses away.

chaos said:
maybe it was a "get Gankutsuou, Last Exile and gad guard for the price of one"

Quite possible. I know that TRSI have mentioned licenses being offered as "bundles" before and being encouraged to release series A for the chance at series B. I can't imagine Gad Guard sets incredible DVD sales records but Ikkitousen should sell solidly and Gankutsuou/LE have very good reputations.

Last Exile and Gankutsuou would certainly benefit from competitively priced R1 collections. More people need to see the latter, especially. Yet another series lauded by fansub watchers that seemed to perform unimpressively on its initial premium release despite the beautiful covers/art and web promotion attempts.

R

To be fair, no-one wants to pay a lot for what they haven't seen, no matter how good a series is supposed to be. And I'm sure a lot of people assume an anime based on a 1250 page novel from the 18th century would be boring - I know I did when someone recommended it to me a few years before I watched it.

There are an awful lot of fansub watchers who don't buy any anime, though. If you take a look at the mirror of this thread on MAL you'll see that people are actually praying for series not to be licensed so fansubs still come out, going as far as to express their joy each time a newer series isn't mentioned. It's a problem.

Aion said:
There are an awful lot of fansub watchers who don't buy any anime, though. If you take a look at the mirror of this thread on MAL you'll see that people are actually praying for series not to be licensed so fansubs still come out, going as far as to express their joy each time a newer series isn't mentioned. It's a problem.

Which is a shame. I don't even see why anime fans should even call themselves one if they aren't going to buy a product. I mean, if you love something, then you want to own it.

And then we have the anime company, such as Funi who pump out these collector editions, yet they hardly shift at all, no matter how much the effort is put in. Bah...

Fansubs and Licensed anime pat each other on the back and the next thing, they attack each other as if co-existence didn't matter.

Aion said:
Eww. I know. I browse the disgusting CrunchyRoll forums whenever I come across the site, and people are absolutely terrible on it. People on MAL have some sort of intelligence opposed to CR, but these horrid people are well... horrid. I'm willing to bet, if I didn't "become" an anime fan on this morally correct, yet cynical as hell anime forum, I'd be with the hordes of them. That, or I would have given up on anime entirely. I know what "quality" is because of this site.

There's this one guy on MAL, on the One Piece Club and he refuses to buy the official One Piece sets, even though he only watches the FUNi dub; Obviously, then, he links this stupid site to download their version for free.

Rui said:
chaos said:
maybe it was a "get Gankutsuou, Last Exile and gad guard for the price of one"

Quite possible. I know that TRSI have mentioned licenses being offered as "bundles" before and being encouraged to release series A for the chance at series B. I can't imagine Gad Guard sets incredible DVD sales records but Ikkitousen should sell solidly and Gankutsuou/LE have very good reputations.
Well, if memory serves me well, I remember the guy from MVM saying that they had a solid good selling back catalogue and mentioned Ikkitousen.
The same MVM guy mentioned that the deal for Slayers revolutions, included the whole pack, so it doesn't seem too far fetched that they sold that in bundle.

Jayme said:
Aion said:
Eww. I know. I browse the disgusting CrunchyRoll forums whenever I come across the site, and people are absolutely terrible on it. People on MAL have some sort of intelligence opposed to CR, but these horrid people are well... horrid. I'm willing to bet, if I didn't "become" an anime fan on this morally correct, yet cynical as hell anime forum, I'd be with the hordes of them. That, or I would have given up on anime entirely. I know what "quality" is because of this site.

There's this one guy on MAL, on the One Piece Club and he refuses to buy the official One Piece sets, even though he only watches the FUNi dub; Obviously, then, he links this stupid site to download their version for free.
Morally correct? Cynical? us?!?!
=)

I hold guys like this one you mentioned personally responsible for series being cancelled mid release.
Maybe I'm being too harsh, maybe this guys family is starving, so he has to save money from anime to buy food. I'm pretty sure that must be the case!

Aion said:
Vandread is the 3/10.

We are still awaiting Gankutsuou and a title that hasn't already been released in America. On the plus side, it seems Funimation are starting with the worst and ending with the best, so Gankutsuou should be the last relicensed title.
Hope to what ever anime gods exist that you're right. Seen both Ikki Tousen and Gad Guard. Both where watchable, GG more so than Ikki, and what I saw of Vandread didn't inspire me to hunt it down later.
The god of anime, what would that look like? Cuthulu with Kawaii eyes, big breasts, angel wings and a lazer sword....
:eek:

Nothing worthwhile as always, Funi. How about licensing Cardcaptor Sakura instead of trash like Ikki Tousen and Van Dread? Going ahead with that is like yet another license to print money (the other being One Piece, which I am also waiting on).

Maxon said:
Nothing worthwhile as always, Funi. How about licensing Cardcaptor Sakura instead of trash like Ikki Tousen and Van Dread? Going ahead with that is like yet another license to print money (the other being One Piece, which I am also waiting on).

cause they'd have to redub it, and i dare not trust anyone ruining the lovely sub

Vandread isn't that bad - it's quite enjoyable to watch. If it had been a more serious tale about the male and female gender getting to know each other for the first after only having myths to go on it could've been great, but it went down a far more childish path and failed to ever have any real impact, only pleasing fans of light-hearted mecha series. Worth owning but not worth going nuts over.

I'm too lazy to go into more detail. If you give a damn, more of my thoughts can be read here: http://myanimelist.net/showreview.php?id=9394

Back