Funimation set to announce 10 new licenses in December

Nabari is too gay (yaoi hints) for my liking and it wasn't able to hold my interest at all. I dropped it after 2 episodes.

As for Last Exile, I've shared my thoughts on that already: it's a bit of a whore. It's great that it's getting rereleased for people who give a damn in yankland, though.

So, so far, 3 are complete crap and the other 2 aren't 'drop your pants and spank the monkey in public' good. The last 5 HAVE to be better, surely...

Edit: Bokurano was mentioned as a possible 9th or 10th on MAL. I'd be interested in that!

Aion said:
So, so far, 3 are complete crap and the other 2 aren't 'drop your pants and spank the monkey in public' good.
Such finesse =)
Last Exile is a seires that seems to be forever in my back burner. Never really started to watch this series, borrowed from a friend and returned it unwatched.

There's far worse anime out there. Admittedly I was torn between 7 and 8 when I rated it, eventually giving it 8/10, but I never thought it was ****. It's just too bad the crappy mafia side-story and clunky Gonzo CG let the anime down.

Gonzo visuals aside, how does the manga differ? It can't be that different when each character only received development shortly before death...I mean, the manga isn't exactly a lengthy one. I've been meaning to read it but I haven't got around to doing so yet.

they must have gotten all this from Santa this year or Geneon must have been the most incopetent folks ever, not to make money on those series and allowing a license rescuer to make money on them.... =/

They're partners now. 2007, Geneon pulled out of the distro business altogether. Last summer Geneon partnered with Funimation to let them distribute Geneon product in the US.

It's a little confusing then that Funi are saying that they are licensing these properties, as they are supposed to be distributing Geneon product anyway. I don't know if Geneon still owns the rights to those properties rescued, as in Hellsing Ultimate, or whether Funimation has bought them outright.

Just Passing Through said:
It's a little confusing then that Funi are saying that they are licensing these properties, as they are supposed to be distributing Geneon product anyway. I don't know if Geneon still owns the rights to those properties rescued, as in Hellsing Ultimate, or whether Funimation has bought them outright.
FUNi only license(d) selected titles from Geneon's back catalogue. It's quite messy, but from the top of my head they aren't partners. For some of the half-released discs, and rescues, all FUNi are doing is distributing them. They still have Geneon on them, without FUNi.

People have expected everything so far, It looks like Soul Eater and Eva are going to be the very last two.

As far as as Gankusuou goes. I'm still waiting on a R2 release.

You'll be waiting a long time: MVM, the only UK licensor likely to license it, turned down the chance to do do so; I recall Beez's Andrew, who is a fan of Gankutsuou, explaining that it's too risky to license with the unique visuals it has that some find annoying; ADV are dead in the water and it isn't really the sort of title Manga have any interest in licensing. The reason you should be very happy about this news if you're a fan of anime is because it's unlikely to ever make it over here unless a 5th party randomly enters the UK anime arena.

While I do sometimes disagree with the 'pro' reviewers, they aren't wrong about Gankutsuou: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/ ... p?aid=1286

Aion said:
You'll be waiting a long time: MVM, the only UK licensor likely to license it, turned down the chance to do do so; I recall Beez's Andrew, who is a fan of Gankutsuou, explaining that it's too risky to license with the unique visuals it has that some find annoying; ADV are dead in the water and it isn't really the sort of title Manga have any interest in licensing. The reason you should be very happy about this news if you're a fan of anime is because it's unlikely to ever make it over here unless a 5th party randomly enters the UK anime arena.
TL:DR MVM is the BLAKE DUMB of anime licencers and you suffer for it.

Back