For Criticism, ???? and Profit.

portrait1_s20_by_professor_irony-dad3046.jpg
The style reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul, though after looking up the manga covers it seems Ishida's illustrations are slightly more... refined(?) than I remembered. In my mind it looked a bit rougher with less-defined lines and edges, if that makes any sense. Great stuff though, as always.
Tokyo-Ghoul-manga-cover.jpg

The style reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul, though after looking up the manga covers it seems Ishida's illustrations are slightly more... refined(?) than I remembered. In my mind it looked a bit rougher with less-defined lines and edges, if that makes any sense. Great stuff though, as always.
Tokyo-Ghoul-manga-cover.jpg

Not a huge fan of Tokyo Ghoul, but I do like the cover art. Forgot that I went back and started picking over that painting again last week - unsure if I want to do any more to it or just post it to the pixivs and so on:

portrait3_by_professor_irony-dam6yqu.jpg

Also been getting back into drawing on my ipad while on trains, so here's an ipad Josuke:

josuke2_by_professor_irony-dam6yz6.jpg

Trust me - you really have. Remember, I work in a field where I'm looking over coloured artwork all the time. It's definitely a learned skill, and you've got a solid grasp of light and shade .

I feel like your work could use a little extra definition and clarity, but that nitpick comes squarely from a place of personal preference. There's a soft, soapiness to your paintings that's really appealing.

I feel like your work could use a little extra definition and clarity, but that nitpick comes squarely from a place of personal preference. There's a soft, soapiness to your paintings that's really appealing.

I think that's a fair point. I've moved away from working with lineart to just blocking in shapes lately and, while I find it a more satisfying workflow, I do find it more difficult when working with fine details. For the ipad drawing, it's also much harder to get accuracy from the stylus (something something bad carpenter something something tools).

That's one Dandy looking fellow. Dandy deru den

So long as no-one criticises his hair, we'll be fine >.>

I think that's a fair point. I've moved away from working with lineart to just blocking in shapes lately and, while I find it a more satisfying workflow, I do find it more difficult when working with fine details. For the ipad drawing, it's also much harder to get accuracy from the stylus (something something bad carpenter something something tools).

I completely get what you're saying there. A few years back, I invested in a Cintiq 22HD. It's now my main monitor, and allows me to do some pretty cool stuff with the comics I letter. I've beeen trying to get a handle on using it for digital painting as well, and it's a NIGHTMARE trying to ace alll the tool settings, getting the feel and response of the pen to a balance I can work with. Part of the struggle has always been, for me, wrapping my head around the way these tools work as opposed to the more immediate feel I get from good ol' pencil on paper.

Keep at it, Prof. You're demonstrating a level of ability that certain self proclaimed pro artists I know of aren't managing with these tools.

Decided to kill two birds with one stone by commemorating both my recent enjoyment of the terminally weird 'Variation on a Joke' episode of Lupin, in which Fujiko rocks an eyepatch, and also the work of the late Noriyoshi Ohrai, whose pulp novel covers are seriously cool.

Clicky for larger.

Having considered it on and off for a while now, I've finally decided to give live-streaming a go. Did a test run with some lineart earlier on, which resulted in this:

test_stream1_by_professor_irony-db2n1vf.jpg

And I'll also be live again tonight at 23.30, for anyone who has nothing better to do on a friday night. Be there or be oblong.

Picarto.TV - AntiHeroArt's Channel

Been trying to focus more on getting back into lineart, so drew this as a contribution to a CR forum thread about interpretation of 'manga' aesthetic. My suggestion was that we should all draw the same character and compare notes, but other than the op and I, no-one else has bothered :/ I'm happy with how she turned out anyway, although I'll need to come back to the hands and feet.

crthing3_s25_by_professor_irony-db9qmh9.jpg

Love that you're still drawing Prof. I started drawing a lot up until last year, then life got a strangle hold on my free time... which it so regularly does these days. Your sketches/works are awesome by the way.

:thumb:

Love that you're still drawing Prof. I started drawing a lot up until last year, then life got a strangle hold on my free time... which it so regularly does these days. Your sketches/works are awesome by the way.

:thumb:

Thank you sir :) I'm similarly afflicted in that my output isn't what it was due to work these days, but I'm still keeping at it as much as I can.

Good to have you with us by the way - always nice to see familiar faces popping in again.

Colours. Tried going lineart > under line tones > paint over the top of everything this time. Moderately succesful, would probably help if I spent more time on it, but I'd like to streamline things really.

DA1bVJFXsAAVT6E.jpg:large

Took a notion to do some streaming tonight, so as I preordered the BD a couple of days ago, decided to keep it retro with some fanart for the Riding Bean OVA.:

DDh5RhyXcAI7FER.jpg

Back