1. Welcome to the new Anime UK News forums! Please view this thread for more information regarding your account and the forums. If you can't log in, your password has been blanked and will need to be reset.
    Dismiss Notice

For Criticism, ???? and Profit.

Discussion in 'Creative Arena' started by Professor Irony, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Professor Irony

Professor Irony Za Warudo

Hah, thank you :) I'm glad to see it back again as well, it's probably the best record I have of everything I've done over the past few years.

In the interests of content, here also is a new thing:

[​IMG]

2. Professor Irony

Woop woop, that's the sound of the Pikari.

[​IMG]

Click for larger or process video below:

Demelza likes this.
  3. BlackStrat

BlackStrat Great Teacher

The style reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul, though after looking up the manga covers it seems Ishida's illustrations are slightly more... refined(?) than I remembered. In my mind it looked a bit rougher with less-defined lines and edges, if that makes any sense. Great stuff though, as always.
    [​IMG]

Professor Irony likes this.
  4. Professor Irony

Not a huge fan of Tokyo Ghoul, but I do like the cover art. Forgot that I went back and started picking over that painting again last week - unsure if I want to do any more to it or just post it to the pixivs and so on:

[​IMG]

Also been getting back into drawing on my ipad while on trains, so here's an ipad Josuke:

[​IMG]

Zin5ki and HdE like this.
  5. HdE

HdE Comic Book Guy

Love the variation in tonal values there, Prof - you clearly know your stuff when it comes to wrangling colours.

6. Professor Irony

Thank you sir :)

I still find getting the colours right one of the hardest things to do, but hopefully I've gotten a bit better at it over the years.

7. HdE

HdE Comic Book Guy

Trust me - you really have. Remember, I work in a field where I'm looking over coloured artwork all the time. It's definitely a learned skill, and you've got a solid grasp of light and shade .

I feel like your work could use a little extra definition and clarity, but that nitpick comes squarely from a place of personal preference. There's a soft, soapiness to your paintings that's really appealing.

8. Otaku-san

Otaku-san Chuunibyou

That's one Dandy looking fellow. Dandy deru den

9. Professor Irony

I think that's a fair point. I've moved away from working with lineart to just blocking in shapes lately and, while I find it a more satisfying workflow, I do find it more difficult when working with fine details. For the ipad drawing, it's also much harder to get accuracy from the stylus (something something bad carpenter something something tools).

So long as no-one criticises his hair, we'll be fine >.>

10. Otaku-san

Otaku-san Chuunibyou

It's fine, ol' Hamburger hair is fine by my standards

11. HdE

HdE Comic Book Guy

I completely get what you're saying there. A few years back, I invested in a Cintiq 22HD. It's now my main monitor, and allows me to do some pretty cool stuff with the comics I letter. I've beeen trying to get a handle on using it for digital painting as well, and it's a NIGHTMARE trying to ace alll the tool settings, getting the feel and response of the pen to a balance I can work with. Part of the struggle has always been, for me, wrapping my head around the way these tools work as opposed to the more immediate feel I get from good ol' pencil on paper.

Keep at it, Prof. You're demonstrating a level of ability that certain self proclaimed pro artists I know of aren't managing with these tools.

12. Professor Irony

[​IMG]

Well met, Kazutrash.

Demelza likes this.
  13. Professor Irony

Process video for the above, on my shiny new channel:

14. Professor Irony

Decided to kill two birds with one stone by commemorating both my recent enjoyment of the terminally weird 'Variation on a Joke' episode of Lupin, in which Fujiko rocks an eyepatch, and also the work of the late Noriyoshi Ohrai, whose pulp novel covers are seriously cool.

[​IMG]

Clicky for larger.

BlackStrat likes this.
  15. Professor Irony

Having considered it on and off for a while now, I've finally decided to give live-streaming a go. Did a test run with some lineart earlier on, which resulted in this:

[​IMG]

And I'll also be live again tonight at 23.30, for anyone who has nothing better to do on a friday night. Be there or be oblong.

Picarto.TV - AntiHeroArt's Channel