Final Fantasy XIII, you are my only hope...

Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
I've bashed [...] XII

No you didn't. Any criticism concerning FFXII will invariably be true.

I bashed Advent Children to an extent. Dirge of Ceberus I've mentioned around once ages ago. But I know I bashed them.

One would be required to bash those two horrible mistakes in order to qualify as objective. Frankly, what SE's been doing these past years is bloody fail. The last decent FF I've seen was VIII (excluding Tactics and compilations such as Itadaki Street Portable and whatnot, strictly linearly). SE should start making B movies and soaps, because their imagination appears to be dead, stone dead.

I don't really care all that much that Lupus and Chrono hate the games and especially their popularity, but it's important to take note of it whenever either offer an opinion on Final Fantasy. It's worth noting that both of these members really haven't an objective bone in their bodies when it comes to the series.

Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
I've bashed [...] XII

I bashed Advent Children to an extent. Dirge of Ceberus I've mentioned around once ages ago. But I know I bashed them.

One would be required to bash those two horrible mistakes in order to qualify as objective. Frankly, what SE's been doing these past years is bloody fail. The last decent FF I've seen was VIII (excluding Tactics and compilations such as Itadaki Street Portable and whatnot, strictly linearly). SE should start making B movies and soaps, because their imagination appears to be dead, stone dead.

...That's a bit far-fetched. The World ends with You, Final Fantasy IX and KH1/COM were actually great imo. But eh...

I\'m sorry I\'m not a sheep for the Final Fantasy series any more, CitizenGeek. Really now.

\"NEW FF:VII EXTENDED UNIVERSE GAME WERE YOU PLAY AS CLOUD STILL LAMENTING OVER AERITH\'S LOSS AND SEPHIROTH COMES BACK, AGAIN!? I\'LL TAKE IT!\"

There's not really a truely bad, utterly unplayable Final Fantasy game (well, in the main series anyway). There are just Final Fantasy games with horrible elements (voice acting, dull side-quests in the otherwise spectacular #10 for instance), and a general upper limit to how good an interactive experience based around selecting processes from a menu can really be.

And then there's Advent Children, but we've been there and I've run out of wardrobe space because of it.

Lupus said:
I\'m sorry I\'m not a sheep for the Final Fantasy series any more, CitizenGeek. Really now.

"NEW FF:VII EXTENDED UNIVERSE GAME WERE YOU PLAY AS CLOUD STILL LAMENTING OVER AERITH\'S LOSS AND SEPHIROTH COMES BACK, AGAIN!? I\'LL TAKE IT!"

Which reminds me. Off-topic, but why do you keep putting 'slashes' in your sentences?

I can\'t access the site normally at home for some reason, like with the problem Aion and others had a while ago, so I\'m using a proxy server to post and the result is the slashes, I can\'t help it... well, if someone can provide me with a better proxy that is. I try to post as little as possible at the moment, hopefully this is resolved soon.

Lupus said:
I can\'t access the site normally at home for some reason, like with the problem Aion and others had a while ago, so I\'m using a proxy server to post and the result is the slashes, I can\'t help it... well, if someone can provide me with a better proxy that is. I try to post as little as possible at the moment, hopefully this is resolved soon.

Which proxy are you using? Because in cases like this, I use Atunnel (and I never have any experiences of slashes in my post)

http://www.atunnel.com

Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
I've bashed [...] XII

...That's a bit far-fetched. The World ends with You, Final Fantasy IX and KH1/COM were actually great imo. But eh...

Our tastes greatly differ it would appear. :D

Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Derfel said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
I've bashed [...] XII

Our tastes greatly differ it would appear. :D

Maybe so xD But there are quality stuff that even the heartless Square will churn out.

So this game just came out in Japan like two days ago, after all the hype and quality was given in two minute trailers, live streams, videos and general posts on various forums have lead me to believe this game confirms Final Fantasy is pretty much a dead franchise, living on by name only. Do I need to play it? In a way, yes. Will this benefit the opinion I have formed about the game? Not really.

I wanted this game to be good, I wanted Square Enix to prove themselves too me and show a big come back with quality writing for a Final Fantasy game, it didn't deliver. Oh well, I'll go back to enjoying my mediocre yet fun Tales games, which don't get ahead of themselves.

Who says its bad? It came out today and the reviews I've seen have been pretty positive so far. If what you say is true, we still have Versus.

Jayme said:
Who says its bad? It came out today and the reviews I've seen have been pretty positive so far. If what you say is true, we still have Versus.
Games reviewers also give Modern Warfare 2 stellar ratings, so they can blow whatever praise they give it out of their ass for all I care.

Given how deeply divisive FFXII was, I'd say the only way to know whether or not FFXIII is any good is to play it yourself. Thankfully I've managed to avoid all the hype and the videos and spurned fanboys (for whatever reason I don't get excited about games until they're close to being available) so I don't have any particular expectations.

Why would anyone who is enjoying the game take time out to post about it on an internet forum? People know easy ways to get attention, and telling everyone how bad the latest popular game is certainly works. Wouldn't listen to a word anyone has to say until I've played it myself.

I wish mine would actually ship. Preordered the day it went up and the supplier is still awaiting stock :(

I remember with XII most of the early reviews were negative because the importers didn't understand the story and just moaned about how girly Vaan supposedly looked. It became more interestingly divisive later on when people who could read the text debated about the narrative choices.

R

Good point, ilmaestro. I really, really don't the FFXII-hate (calling FFXII a "bad" game is really absurd; it's one of the most expertly crafted, designed, stylised games I've ever played ... how anyone can say Squenix didn't put in enough effort with it is just beyond me). I adored FFXII, it's my all-time favourite game, and so in a way I'm kind of disappointed FFXIII has gone back to the earlier FF battle systems in a sense. Still, there's no show like a Final Fantasy show and I can't wait for March! Fingers crossed we get the Lightning-branded PS3 too :]

Where did you order from, Rui? From the way NCSX has talked about Squeni's lockdown on sending things out early, I'm not surprised that no importers have sent it out yet.

ilmaestro said:
Where did you order from, Rui? From the way NCSX has talked about Squeni's lockdown on sending things out early, I'm not surprised that no importers have sent it out yet.

Yesasia. After showing a 7-14 day lead time(!) yesterday it just switched to "Ready to be shipped", so hopefully it will go out today now. I guess they were really worried about people breaking street date :s

R

Back