Final Fantasy XIII, you are my only hope...

unellmay said:
I hope versus comes out for 360 :eek:
I think if that was their intention they would have said by now. Perhaps they'll find doing a port easy enough through their work with Vanilla XIII.

Personally, I'm hoping for a PC release of either title, though that probably involves a degree of sadism. They never get the controls right.

Derfel said:
I'm sort of disappointed. No random battles and not proper turn based. What is FF about it then?
The lack of any 'Final Fantasy Characteristics' has come to be a characteristic of the Final Fantasy series in itself (random battles and turned based died with 10 anyway). "Final Fantasy" was always poorly defined: I think of it like the 'Silly Symphonies' title given to Walt Disney musical shorts in the thirties. Just as SS had no internal continuity, with the exception that you always know a Silly Symphony will have music in it, FF's vague mission statement was always nothing more than 'Fantasy Role Playing Game'...

But you do kind of get to thinking that the Final Fantasy name is plastered on anything these days, even in favour of other franchise names that would be more suited (Elements of story and gameplay in Crystal Chronicles always made me think it should of been a 'Mana' game. Final Fantasy XII is basically Vagrant Story 2 with less atmosphere). In the end, what becomes a numbered FF game is simply down to which project is lead by the right people, given the best budget, expected to rake the most money back.

Vagrant Story and FFXII have such distinctly different battle systems and themes, so I don't really get how they could be so closely related as to be almost-sequels :s

CitizenGeek said:
Vagrant Story and FFXII have such distinctly different battle systems and themes, so I don't really get how they could be so closely related as to be almost-sequels :s
Well, they're both set in the same world, so long as you count Tactics' gritty Ivalice as the same place as the deeply fruity Ivalice of Tactics Advance. As for the battle systems, FF12 is just Vagrant Story with Automatic attacks, Friendly AI, and an extra layer of 'deeply tedious' frosting.

So then...

bhd4zq.jpg

It would appear.

kupocake said:
Well, they're both set in the same world, so long as you count Tactics' gritty Ivalice as the same place as the deeply fruity Ivalice of Tactics Advance. As for the battle systems, FF12 is just Vagrant Story with Automatic attacks, Friendly AI, and an extra layer of 'deeply tedious' frosting.

You don't actually see the world of Ivalice in Vagrant Story though, you see the city of Lea Monde, some of it's surroundings and that's it. We only know it's set in Ivalice because we're told it is. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Advance actually do resemble the Ivalice of FFXII, though, (the first Tactics looks as though it's set in the distant past, or perhaps distant future, of XII's Ivalice).

FFXII's battle system is entirely different to VS's, you basically outlined why in your own post on it :p And what Vagrant Story did you play if you think VS's is really more tedious than FFXII's? :s

Final Fantasy is about moogles, summons, chocobos, Cactur (sp?) and Tonberries. Basically, Final Fantasy needs all those reference boxes checked to be a Final Fantasy *shrugs*

No random battles and not proper turn based. What is FF about it then?

Bloody hell, FF is not about random battles. It's a element that should have died when Chrono Trigger was released.

CitizenGeek said:
FFXII's battle system is entirely different to VS's, you basically outlined why in your own post on it :p
Automating and Expanding something doesn't change a battle system in the slightest. Regardless, it has more in common with Vagrant Story than any Final Fantasy game before it, and that's the point I'm making, rather than outright saying they relabelled the game. The fact of the setting (which I can't even fathom why you deny because 'you don't see it'. You're literally saying a setting isn't shared unless you see a map of it... what the...?) just makes the comparison more appealing.
CitizenGeek said:
And what Vagrant Story did you play if you think VS's is really more tedious than FFXII's?
What post did you read where I said the exact opposite of what I actually said?

You do seem strangely uptight about this. I don't have you down as a fanboy, even despite your repeated attempts to claim that my less than blanket appreciation of this franchise is just some 'too cool for school' attempt to rip apart something that others love, but I have to wonder...
Chrono Mizaki said:
Final Fantasy is about moogles, summons, chocobos, Cactur (sp?) and Tonberries. Basically, Final Fantasy needs all those reference boxes checked to be a Final Fantasy *shrugs*
I'd say the most essential are the Chocobos. You'd usually put 'airships' amongst that list, but like Moogles they're only 'kind of' in some games (VIII springs to mind). They're only as much a part of Final Fantasy branding as the Runic MT Condensed font used in the logos, or the white covers that Japan / Europe get for instalments in the series.

kupocake said:
Automating and Expanding something doesn't change a battle system in the slightest. Regardless, it has more in common with Vagrant Story than any Final Fantasy game before it, and that's the point I'm making, rather than outright saying they relabelled the game.

Not really, because VS's battle system is strictly turn based and the specific targeting of certain limbs marks it out as different to FFXII's. I agree the battle system, perhaps, has more in common with FFXII's than any other FF, but it's still stretching to say that they're more than vaguely similiar.

The fact of the setting (which I can't even fathom why you deny because 'you don't see it'. You're literally saying a setting isn't shared unless you see a map of it... what the...?) just makes the comparison more appealing.

What I'm saying is that Lea Monde could be anywhere. Rabanastre and Arcadia are distinctly Ivalice. So saying FFXII and VS share a setting is really rather pushing it because the Ivalice in VS doesn't really resemble the Ivalice in FFXII at all.

What post did you read where I said the exact opposite of what I actually said?

Did you not say that, compared to VS's battle system, FFXII has "an extra layer of 'deeply tedious' frosting"? I'm simply disagreeing with this point because as far as I'm concerned Vagrant Story's battle system was much more tedious and was by far inferior.

You do seem strangely uptight about this.

Haha, I'm just trying to discuss something with you, I swear! :p

I don't have you down as a fanboy, even despite your repeated attempts to claim that my less than blanket appreciation of this franchise is just some 'too cool for school' attempt to rip apart something that others love, but I have to wonder...

Just personally disliking the videogames is perfectly acceptable but the kind of passionate distaste I see for them coming from you, sometimes, and especially from Chrono Mizaki and Lupus does seem rather like an act a lot of the time.

They're only as much a part of Final Fantasy branding as the Runic MT Condensed font used in the logos, or the white covers that Japan / Europe get for instalments in the series.

I think the FF games all have similar themes and similar high production values, etc. I think that if I was to play FFXIII without having been told the title or the developer and without knowing anything about the game prior, I'm pretty sure I'd just know it was an FF game. I think the games are much more similar than some would have you think.

CitizenGeek said:
I think the FF games all have similar themes and similar high production values, etc. I think that if I was to play FFXIII without having been told the title or the developer and without knowing anything about the game prior, I'm pretty sure I'd just know it was an FF game. I think the games are much more similar than some would have you think.
This reminds me... are there three female characters in Final Fantasy XIII? Every game in the main series since #4 has had three IIRC (err.. inclusive of FFXI. No girls. On the internet). It was most ludicrous in #6 when there were, what... 14 characters?*
CitizenGeek said:
Just personally disliking the videogames is perfectly acceptable but the kind of passionate distaste I see for them coming from you, sometimes, and especially from Chrono Mizaki and Lupus does seem rather like an act a lot of the time.
I think then that's just a problem with interpretation you have. It's mostly just stinging exaggeration. It's not 'an act', it's a stylistic choice in writing :p

* Holy **** on Topicness.

It might just be stinging exaggeration with you, but the kind of absurdly sensationalist disgust that members such as the aforementioned Lupus and Chrono Mizaki show does lead me to believe that they hate the game's popularity (and by extension, it's fans) more than anything and simply project that hatred onto most FF games and most other fans :s

As for the girl count, I'm pretty sure there's 3 female characters confirmed as playable :]

...Urgh, you didn't even listen to Lupus. Have the decency of not mentioning any names as some sort of attack, Citizengeek. It's getting tiring.

Also, I'm not bashing the popularity at all. I've never have. The only thing I bashed about is your seemingly overly fanboyism (Dis series is da best and no series wud ever beat it attitude). I love Final Fantasy a lot, it's what got me into JRPGs. But yes, I would wholeheartedly say that there are other JRPGs series that are more deserving of the popularity.

But I do hate most of the fan community. They are nothing more than retards who blindly love anything with Final Fantasy.

Also, the only Final Fantasy game I've bashed is XII and the FF7 spin-off (baring Crisis Core). I'm avidly looking forward to XIII

From what I can see, CitizenGeek, your arguement basically boils down to your disapproval of my personal feelings towards certain Final Fantasy games which naturally upsets you as you enjoy them more so than any regular person should. In short, get over it, there\'s plenty of FF fans around and none of them are as concerned as you are, infact they just ignore me, why can\'t you...?

Also, Final Fantasy XIII has two females so far, Vanille and Lightning. There\'s also the overly masculine white male which MANY Final Fantasy fans dislike due to him lacking a feminine touch and there\'s the token black guy complete with a Chocobo chick. In the recent E3 trailer there was also a shouta Tidus, but he isn\'t really important right now.

Chrono Mizaki said:
I've bashed [...] XII

No you didn't. Any criticism concerning FFXII will invariably be true.

On a serious note. I think it is fairly obvious that most FF fans are drooling imbeciles. It is a fact, not a point of moot. Its like part of the whole wapanese thing. The pricks who go around making fanclubs for Sephiroth in their spare time.

Back