Final Fantasy XIII, you are my only hope...

I find myself dying the most often when I don't expect to die. I lay back and not really focus and then... die. It's pathetic, it sometimes happens like three times. The big bad's though, I own them fairly quickly. Rather, not that quickly but don't die that much.

Stuart, I'm around the same point as you. Maybe a bit further, if that's just what happened. I will hopefully clock in a good few hours on friday.

IGN compared the game to Cowboy Bebop. I didn't feel this was worth its own thread, however. Your thoughts?

FF XIII has many of the things Japanese animation is known for – stylish action, outlandish characters, and catchy music among them. But there's one series in particular that comes to mind when looking at the game, and that series is Cowboy Bebop.

One could draw many of the same comparisons between FF XIII and Bebop as they could with Firefly. Like Firefly, Cowboy Bebop follows a cast of interstellar bounty hunters in an age where humanity is beginning to venture forth into the cosmos. Even the Western motif is similar.

But Bebop is also unique thanks to its quirky characters and blisteringly cool soundtrack. The show oozes style, and style is something the FF series has increasingly prided itself on over the years. And like many FF games before it, Cowboy Bebop slowly sheds light on its characters' murky pasts over the course of its 26 episodes and one movie.

Unfortunately, Cowboy Bebop is the one entry on this list that isn't available on Blu-ray in America. Still, the series is an absolute must-see for any anime fan, gamer, or just lover of good, original storytelling. Hopefully that European Blu-ray version of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie will make its way here alongside a Blu-ray release of the main series.

They just wanted to talk about Bebop and make the comparison. Firefly and Bebop, okay, I get that one - westerns in space. This though? I don't see it. At all. Where are the (apparent) quirky characters? Even ignoring that, this one gets me - "slowly sheds light on its characters' murky pasts" - Have they never seen flashbacks being used as a narrative device before? Or heck, does character development confuse the frak out of them?

Having said that... I searched and found the article and its a 'If You Like' article. If your doing one of them you need to stretch. It's a rarity when that type of article does make a good judgement call. Click to page one, they recommend Final Fantasy movies. Odd that.

Jayme said:
They just wanted to talk about Bebop and make the comparison. Firefly and Bebop, okay, I get that one - westerns in space. This though? I don't see it. At all. Where are the (apparent) quirky characters? Even ignoring that, this one gets me - "slowly sheds light on its characters' murky pasts" - Have they never seen flashbacks being used as a narrative device before? Or heck, does character development confuse the frak out of them?

Having said that... I searched and found the article and its a 'If You Like' article. If your doing one of them you need to stretch. It's a rarity when that type of article does make a good judgement call. Click to page one, they recommend Final Fantasy movies. Odd that.

I've not seen Bebop so, I have no idea if they're similar, heh.

Godot said:
IGN compared the game to Cowboy Bebop. I didn't feel this was worth its own thread, however. Your thoughts?

FF XIII has many of the things Japanese animation is known for – stylish action, outlandish characters, and catchy music among them. But there's one series in particular that comes to mind when looking at the game, and that series is Cowboy Bebop.

One could draw many of the same comparisons between FF XIII and Bebop as they could with Firefly. Like Firefly, Cowboy Bebop follows a cast of interstellar bounty hunters in an age where humanity is beginning to venture forth into the cosmos. Even the Western motif is similar.

But Bebop is also unique thanks to its quirky characters and blisteringly cool soundtrack. The show oozes style, and style is something the FF series has increasingly prided itself on over the years. And like many FF games before it, Cowboy Bebop slowly sheds light on its characters' murky pasts over the course of its 26 episodes and one movie.

Unfortunately, Cowboy Bebop is the one entry on this list that isn't available on Blu-ray in America. Still, the series is an absolute must-see for any anime fan, gamer, or just lover of good, original storytelling. Hopefully that European Blu-ray version of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie will make its way here alongside a Blu-ray release of the main series.

Have I missed something, what European Cowboy Bebop bluray?

Surprisingly, when I was playing it earlier and thinking about this I did notice similarities, albeit about Firefly but they also work for Bebop. Stupid, but I do kind get the comparison now.

mangaman74 said:
Hopefully that European Blu-ray version of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie will make its way here alongside a Blu-ray release of the main series.
Have I missed something, what European Cowboy Bebop bluray?
I think they used the word 'that' where they should have used the letter 'a'.

{Geek} {10/10} {Best} {Game} {Ever} {Where?} {Please} {Insert} {Rear}

The read-up made it sound bad, the trailer made it appear to be no more than melodramatic JRPG trash and there not having been a very good FF since FFIX suggests it's a bit rubbish. Amirita? I mean, I know I'm right without playing it because I'm never wrong, but I thought I'd at least ask.

The only thing that'd tempt me to play it is the older femalexyounger male pairing people are drawing fap material about in Japan. Beyond that, I could've give a toss. My taste is too refined nowadays.

Also, I do have to /facepalm at EVERYONE rushing to play it because it's FF; ignoring gems like Suikoden V. The human race are too idiotic for my high standards...

So far it's a 6.5/10 game, in some ways better than X, but this L'Cie/Fal'Cie/Code Geass nonsense does take its toll. Also, I'd buy RPGs than get ignored but why bother when the UK gets ignored? **** is stupid. "We won't localize it for the EU, they're too busy with FIFA 2010."

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
{Geek} {10/10} {Best} {Game} {Ever} {Where?} {Please} {Insert} {Rear}

Oh, it's not the best game ever. But it's pretty damn good.

The read-up made it sound bad, the trailer made it appear to be no more than melodramatic JRPG trash and there not having been a very good FF since FFIX suggests it's a bit rubbish. Amirita?

No. Final Fantasy XIII, for me, is the best FF since IX. Sure, the story is typical story melodrama, but I like how character development is put first. It does the FFVI ways of "**** you, Story. Character time" and there's nothing wrong with that.

And let's not forget, but the Battle System is the best of its series.

I mean, I know I'm right without playing it because I'm never wrong, but I thought I'd at least ask.

Subjective to opinion, I thought you were wrong countless times on Chrono Trigger, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, etc.

The only thing that'd tempt me to play it is the older femalexyounger male pairing people are drawing fap material about in Japan. Beyond that, I could've give a toss. My taste is too refined nowadays.

Chrono. Trigger. Final. Fantasy. VIII

Tasted. Refined.

Lawl.

Also, I do have to /facepalm at EVERYONE rushing to play it because it's FF; ignoring gems like Suikoden V. The human race are too idiotic for my high standards..

So is it idiotic if I said that "I thought Suikoden" was uninteresting and just pure JRPG drivel? That's what I get from trying to play the damn thing.

Though I was in a predicament of playing Suikoden or Fallout 1. I chose Fallout 1, because it was hugely enjoyable and you can kill children.

So far it's a 6.5/10 game, in some ways better than X

I've got to say. FFXIII did a lot of things right that X did wrong. But both suffer from linear corridors, it's just that X has a town and Temples to break up the pace.

But what X did wrong is its thoughtless, lifeless addition of exploration. It's like they developed the whole game in a linear fashion and said "OH ****, we forgot the exploration". The Monster Capturing, The New Locations accessed through the Airship... were all mediocre. X was designed as a linear story, like XIII, but tried to branch off into exploration with mixed-results.

With XIII, it does many things right that X did wrong. Sure, it's more linear by comparison, but I quickly forgiven it as it does the FFVI ways of 'Seperate Parties, Character Development, etc'.

Also, I'd buy RPGs than get ignored but why bother when the UK gets ignored?

We got RPGs localised. All of them turned out to be sprite-based JRPG ****.

"We won't localize it for the EU, they're too busy with FIFA 2010."

Blame England for its love of Football Culture.

Ryo Chan said:
i'd still take fifa 10 of FF XIII ;)

But then, the question would be, what would you be left with?

Chrono Trigger offers very little apart from nostalgia. Oldies will love it, newer gamers probably won't. Everything has its time, and CT's ended the moment FFVII became the benchmark for every RPG that would follow.

CT features time travel but doesn't explore that aspect in-depth, instead opting to simply teleport the characters to prehistoric times and a machine-filled future. It was all very 'standard issue' and predictable. The characters are the plain, one-dimensional types that gamers of today will see nothing special about. And it's short; only lasting something like... 15-20 hours; offering more experienced gamers very little enjoyment as a consequence.

Nocturne can be appreciated only be a specific type of RPG fan: the hardcore, dungeon loving and grinding kind. Everyone else will be put off by how dull it is to play through. The same goes for DDS.

The basic post-apocalyptic setting is interesting, certainly, but with the lead being silent and his comrades being monsters you recruit/create as you go along, there's nothing to hook people like me--people who are used to JRPGs that focus heavily on story and characterization.

As for Suikoden being "drivel" (I'm assuming you mean that the entire, inter-connected series lacks value?), you'll have to point me in the direction of something more worthwhile. Anyone that disregards Suikoden yet praises a FF game in the same message is ignorant at best or, at worst, a complete idiot.

Look here: http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/?char_id=444

Every Suikoden game has 108 characters you can recruit. Each character has a back-story of some sort. Sometimes the backgrounds of the characters couldn't be fitted into the actual stories without slowing down the progression, so Konami put in a function that allows the pasts of the 108 stars to be 'investigated'. Other times, in the case of villains and such, the information had to be given outside the games themselves; in Japan only 'gaiden' releases and the like.

Where as Sephiroth of FFVII fame - the most famous of all FF villains - only has a confusing and lacking in detail genetic research history, connected with an alien lifeform that is never explained, Luca Blight has a disturbing and very understandable history that explained his entire character. In the game itself, for time reasons I imagine, Luca was portrayed as evil personified; a human monster who would happily slaughter an entire village and kill his own father. But, if you understand his childhood, the reasoning behind his insanity and hatred for his father becomes all too clear.

The same cannot be said of the legendary Sephiroth and his sudden transformation from respected hero to a madman with no issues wiping a village off the map. As cool as he was back in the day, looking at him now, he's a shallow villain made great only by the mystery surrounding him.

And what of the main characters of Suikoden II; the strongest Suikoden offering. How do they compare to the Cloud, Squall and Zidanes of this world? The answer is, there is no comparison.

Where as Cloud had on-off nightmares and a muddled mind, Squall remained a pretty boy, shoujo-esque lead and Zidane never ever did anything to become a fan favourite, Suikoden II has Jowy Atreides--the best friend of II's silent lead since childhood and, ultimately, the final 'villain' of Suikoden II's epic war story.

FFVII, arguably the best FF offering, had its best moments when its world was being explored for the first time and the team of heroes were traveling without any real destination; in the hunt for the 'man with the black cape'. It was at its best when the story didn't get a look-in. Suikoden II, on the other hand, was at its strongest when it focused on the bond shared between the lead, his step-sister and their mutual friend, Joey. Betrayed by their own nation and lead into joining mercenaries in a soon-to-be-at-war neighboring country, Joey eventually had to pick between betraying his childhood friends, his new employers and all that he truly cared for in order to create a future for his own people; free of the control of an insane killer intent on destroying everything.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, FF has to offer can even compare to the characterization in Suikoden II & V. Suikoden III - the weaker of the 'big three' - even had an eleven volume manga created. That's the level of the story and characterization of an average Suikoden - good enough to be transformed into a novel/comic; devoid of any RPG gameplay. Can you honestly say the same about any of the FF series?

...So, yeah: only an ignorant fool or an idiot would even suggest the Suikoden series as a whole is "drivel". One who says such a thing knows not what they're talking about. Period.

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
Ryo Chan said:
i'd still take fifa 10 of FF XIII ;)

Chrono Trigger offers very little apart from nostalgia. Oldies will love it, newer gamers probably won't. Everything has its times, and CT's ended the moment FFVII became the benchmark for every RPG that would follow.

What did FF7 provide? It provided the same, old elements as previous Final Fantasy, just in 3D. Final Fantasy VII was nothing more than a jump from 2D to 3D. But beyond that, I believe FFVI did everything better. VII has a Materia System, which I applaud them for, but that's about it.

Instead, Chrono Trigger is miles-advanced ahead of Final Fantasy VII. No Transition, No Random Battles [if you say FF is about random battles, I will kill you], Area-Affect Abilities. Sure, the abilities were limited, but at least all characters were unique in their own way. And that's what I loved about Chrono Trigger.

You said Oldies will love it? Haha, I can assure you, that the people I come across on the net, will find it easier playing Chrono Trigger. Why? Because it did many things right and not let up to be a grind-fest with random battles.

It's also very appealing in its quirky and wacky personality of each character.
CT features time travel but doesn't explore that aspect in-depth, instead opting to simply teleport the characters to prehistoric times and a machine-filled future. It was all very 'standard issue' and predictable.

The whole appeal of it was to travel back and forth. Sure, it was predictable, but Chrono Trigger doesn't hide to be cliche. Sure, a cliche middle-age, a cliche future filled with machinery. But it has its charm and it was still enjoyable.

The characters are the plain, one-dimensional types that gamers of today will see nothing special about.

Frog, Robo, Magus, Schala, The Zeal Family, Ozze, Flea, Slash, Dalton, Lucca...

I can go on. And I'll assure you, a lot of people will remember about Frog. About Schala. Even today, people want to see what happened to Schala. To say they are not memorable is such an ignorant statement.

And it's short; only lasting something like... 15-20 hours; offering more experienced gamers very little enjoyment as a consequence.

Because it isn't padded out? Because it's a great, quality game for its length? Sure, the difficulty is easy, but it's great from start to finish.

Nocturne can be appreciated only be a specific type of RPG fan: the hardcore, dungeon loving and grinding kind. Everyone else will be put off by how dull it is to play through. The same goes for DDS.

And that's true. But I enjoy it once you get into it... and so others.

The basic post-apocalyptic setting is interesting, certainly, but with the lead being silent and his comrades being monsters you recruit/create as you go along, there's nothing to hook people like me--people who are used to JRPGs that focus heavily on story and characterization.

Sure, the characters are instantly forgettable, but I still enjoyed it on the feat that it's like Pokemon. There's instantly a wide variety of demons you can recruit, what you can explore, etc.

As for Suikoden being "drivel" (I'm assuming you mean that the entire, inter-connected series lacks value?), you'll have to point me in the direction of something more worthwhile. Anyone that disregards Suikoden yet praises a FF game in the same message is ignorant at best or, at worst, a complete idiot.

I said when I first played it, it felt underwhelming... and I was in a predicament between other games. I simply chosen Fallout 1 and shelved Suikoden... I was simply throwing out my opinion of first impression, so I apologise if you didn't get that.

Look here: http://www.suikosource.com/chars/list/?char_id=444
Every Suikoden game has 108 characters you can recruit. Each character has a back-story of some sort. Sometimes the backgrounds of the characters couldn't be fitted into the actual stories without slowing down the progression, so Konami put in a function that allows the pasts of the 108 stars to be 'investigated'. Other times, in the case of villains and such, the information had to be given outside the games themselves; in Japan only 'gaiden' releases and the like.

That actually perked my interest again. I'll certainly look into that. Like I said, I was initially put off and I had other games to occupy myself with.

The same cannot be said of the legendary Sephiroth and his sudden transformation from respected hero to a madman with no issues wiping a village off the map. As cool as he was back in the day, looking at him now, he's a shallow villain made great only by the mystery surrounding him.

And that's why I preferred Kefka as the ultimate villain of the series =P

...So, yeah: only an ignorant fool or an idiot would even suggest the Suikoden series as a whole is "drivel". One who says such a thing knows not what they're talking about. Period.

You made great numerous points on Suikoden, but like I said before, you were ignorant on so many forms as well, especially when you compared CT to FFVII.

CT made so many technical advances over FFVII to make an JRPG devoid of any standard cliches that holds the game back. I mean, it took another 10 years, something in which Chrono Trigger did. HECK, even Earthbound did that before CT.

And let's not forget about how Battles occurred in Chrono Trigger. A lack of transition screen, enemies that don't just sit there and acts like "Come to me to fight me, avoid me if you don't want to fight". There were some battles you cannot avoid and battles that were hidden well. You could be talking to a monster disguised as a human and he could turn into one and attacked you.

You could be going to a cat... and he meows, signalling monster to come out and attack you. You could even find a shiny thing and it turns out it was a trap... and monsters comes out.

I mean, anyone who put FFVII over Chrono Trigger, especially when it makes so much advances for what it does, is an idiot. But simply put, CT was so under-appreciated, for what it did, that we still got the ****** random battles 10 years later, when games like Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII, Persona 3... had the gall to get rid of them.

PS: Chrono Cross is better than VII as well.

So Aion, have you actually played any of the Final Faggotry's which pre-date VII?

Also, I haven't played Chrono Trigger, I'd like to, but it's nearly full price on Amazon, **** that. At least I could get Dragon Quest IV and V for like... fifteen quid total.

Played FFVI twice, losing interest and dropping it at Kefka's/the last dungeon twice. I liked the esper system.

I've started all of the others that I could buy, only three not getting any play time. They were all too basic/uninspiring and I dropped them all quickly. Interesting in a 'JRPG history lesson' kind of way, but none are great games by todays standards. I enjoyed BoFI&II more.

I'll read through and respond to your message tomorrow. At the moment, I'm too lazy.

For now, since we're talking about RPGs in general and I created a list for my MAL profile a month or two back, here's my top ten RPG/game list:

[1] Final Fantasy VII

[2] Grandia

[3] Suikoden II

[4] Suikoden V

[5] Star Ocean 2

[6] Breath of Fire III

[7] Wild Arms

[8] Final Fantasy VIII

[9] .hack//G.U. vol. 1//Rebirth

[10] Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Lupus said:
So Aion, have you actually played any of the Final Faggotry's which pre-date VII?

Apparently, it's 'too-old' for him ;)
Also, I haven't played Chrono Trigger, I'd like to, but it's nearly full price on Amazon, **** that. At least I could get Dragon Quest IV and V for like... fifteen quid total.

Chrono Trigger is excellent as a near full-price game regardless, though there are other places where you can buy CT.

Back