Fate discussion

The H-alts work in fate and UBW routes because the sex was shoe horned in in those routes anyway. The sex in HF is actually quite important for the characters.

Interesting that Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua starts with a legal disclaimer pointing out all characters are over 18 years of age. Which is odd, because several of the characters aren't over 18 years of age..

IncendiaryLemon said:
I wonder why that could be...
Realata Nua is the version without the sex, so I can't see why they'd bother with that type of disclaimer.

My point was, one of the major settings is a high school, so why even bother with an age related disclaimer, if you're going to obviously contradict it...

black1blade said:
why bother to remove it? Are you using a patch that allows you to turn on of off the sex?
The version I am watching, to my knowledge, has h-scenes enabled. I can't wait, I've heard they're hilarious...

Unlimited food works
[spoilerbutton]
TeAk0CW.png

Original: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=46623450
Artist: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=72568
[/spoilerbutton]

The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I think Fate stay Night as whole ( a three routes) is better than Zero, but in terms of an isolated route probably only HF could top it.

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
A bunch of Japanese fans chose their most "magnificent" anime of the year. Their number one is truly baffling...
I don't know what I'm more confused about. Charlotte being #1 or FS/N being #2. Both were mediocre at best.
Fate has the added benefit of being pretty to look at but it's got nothing on Zero content wise IMO.

FS/N is a good adaption of the source material, which causes it to not stand on it's own so well when lacking it's other routes. Japanese fans do however have ready access to the VN on PC and console, so it's no surprise they aren't troubled by that aspect.

Rosencrantz said:
FS/N is a good adaption of the source material, which causes it to not stand on it's own so well when lacking it's other routes. Japanese fans do however have ready access to the VN on PC and console, so it's no surprise they aren't troubled by that aspect.

Maybe it's just me, and I haven't seen any of the FS/N anime series to comment on them specifically, but surely if it requires knowledge of the original source material to work it's not a very good adaptation.

Buzz201 said:
Rosencrantz said:

Maybe it's just me, and I haven't seen any of the FS/N anime series to comment on them specifically, but surely if it requires knowledge of the original source material to work it's not a very good adaptation.

You do require some knowledge of the Fate route that is because UBW is the second route played after Fate, therefore you still need some knowledge of it but they have made the anime more standaone than the VN route.

@Buzz It requiring knowledge of the original source material to work doesn't necessarily make it a bad adaptation. He/she said it doesn't stand on its own so well when lacking its other routes. I haven't read the VN and have yet to finish watching UBW so I'm going by what's been said here but if UBW is a good adaptation isn't it normal for it to be lacking as a standalone anime considering it's only a part of a bigger ensemble?. The difference being that the VN readers can experience the other routes whereas anime watchers don't have a good adaptation of either Fate or HF (yet?).

thedoctor2016 said:
You do require some knowledge of the Fate route that is because UBW is the second route played after Fate, therefore you still need some knowledge of it but they have made the anime more standaone than the VN route.

I think there's a difference between assuming people have knowledge of the first work, and relying on them to have read all three routes of a VN to fully appreciate something. Although in some cases the distinction between expecting knowledge of and relying on a previous work might not be clear. As far as I'm concerned the whole point of an adaptation is for people who haven't consumed the original source material, so relying on it to fully appreciate the adaptation is wrong.

BlackStrat said:
@Buzz It requiring knowledge of the original source material to work doesn't necessarily make it a bad adaptation. He/she said it doesn't stand on its own so well when lacking its other routes. I haven't read the VN and have yet to finish watching UBW so I'm going by what's been said here but if UBW is a good adaptation isn't it normal for it to be lacking as a standalone anime considering it's only a part of a bigger ensemble?. The difference being that the VN readers can experience the other routes whereas anime watchers don't have a good adaptation of either Fate or HF (yet?).

As far as I'm concerned if a work is middling on it's own (this is hypothetical, I'm not suggesting UBW is middling), but great when viewed in conjunction with something else, the work is still only middling. It shouldn't be relying on the audience having seen or seeing something else to improve it's standing. But this is very much a personal thing and clearly lots of people disagree.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

I think there's a difference between assuming people have knowledge of the first work, and relying on them to have read all three routes of a VN to fully appreciate something. Although in some cases the distinction between expecting knowledge of and relying on a previous work might not be clear. As far as I'm concerned the whole point of an adaptation is for people who haven't consumed the original source material, so relying on it to fully appreciate the adaptation is wrong.

BlackStrat said:

As far as I'm concerned if a work is middling on it's own (this is hypothetical, I'm not suggesting UBW is middling), but great when viewed in conjunction with something else, the work is still only middling. It shouldn't be relying on the audience having seen or seeing something else to improve it's standing. But this is very much a personal thing and clearly lots of people
disagree.

The thing is I watched UBW without reading the VN first and loved and still rated it my best anime but after reading the VN I have a higher appreciation for it, but Heavens Feel will be good if is 3 films like I believe it should be.

Joshawott said:
How come the Japanese like Charlotte so much anyway, considering it was a gigantic train-wreck from about the half-way mark? (Also, no Shirobako?).

In regards to Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, I have next to no knowledge about the original visual novel but didn't really find myself feeling lost on any step of the way; in fact, despite its source material's status as a supplementary prequel, I imagine not having seen Fate/Zero would have been more confusing (such as why Gilgamesh was such a big deal).

Considering the recent successes of Danganronpa and Steins;Gate, I'm actually surprised that no one has tried to officially localise even the Réalta Nua version of the visual novel.

Gil is explained in the fate route I count his FZ a spoiler for FSN

Last edited by a moderator:
Back