Fate discussion

I was going to play it a while back and went through the hassle of installing the patches and what not then just never got around to it. The version I had had 3 different exe files, one for each route, so you have to pick one at the start. I'm pretty sure the correct order is Fate-->Unlimited Blade Works-->Heaven's Feel

The original version forced you to go fate>UBW>HF but the relate nua version is 3 separate games. I would strongly suggest going in the original order though. I would also get a flow chart so that you can get all the endings (especially the ones in HF near the end).

I'm interested to see how the new series of Prisma Illya turns out - Is it still currently adapting the manga at this point? I have to admit I'd love if it came to a point where it started bringing through characters from Tsukihime and Garden of Sinners.

I am totally unfamiliar with prisma illya. I wanna read hollow ataxia first to get all the references in prillya. I don't think tsuki and KNK will come into it somehow. Carnival phantasm 2 when? XD

NormanicGrav said:
Now that I've seen Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: UBW, I've considered to start reading the Visual Novel soon. Given there are three routes how does it work exactly? Do you have a choice on which route you start with or does it change as you go along (like a lot of visual novels do)?
The Realta Nua (latest) version splits up the 3 routes into their own games so you can't change routes while playing.
It looks like this (didn't have the heart to crop Shiki)
[spoilerbutton]
ogGdWqC.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]
And they're supposed to be read in that order.

There's a fan patch that translates the PC release of Realta Nua and adds the PS Vita openings/soundtrack and the H scenes (with an option to disable them).

UBW and HF each have two endings while Fate only has one.

Here's a flowchart of the original version, but since Realta Nua splits the routes all relevant choices should be ignored.

[EDIT]: helpful links
seriesfaq-fate
VN install guide

I would also recommend people read the tsukihime visual novel- it's great.
The source material is normally always better in some way but especially with the type moon VNs. The UBW anime is really aimed at people who have both read the stay night VN and seen/read zero before hand.

Yup, with Tsukihime, having read the VN and seen the anime, I think that in particular - the difference is light and day. The anime is flat out awful, probably one of the worst adaptations I have ever seen. The VN on the other side is properly, properly dark - ultra violent, stuffed full of no-holds-barred sex scenes and pretty much everything else you could think of.

That said, I wouldn't go as far as some Type Moon fans do where they completely pretend the Tsukihime anime doesn't exist.

black1blade said:
The Kara no kyoukai movies are still my fav type moon works maybe even my fav anime.

Likewise. I'd go as far to say they're probably in my Top 10 anime ever. They're just utterly beautiful to look at the soundtracks are incredible too.

If MVM ever gets the Blu-Rays, I'd double dip for sure.

Buzz201 said:
So, which is better the VN or anime?
I wouldn't know, like IncendiaryLemon I went through the trouble of installing the VN but it's still there waiting on my desktop.
I'd assume that the source material goes more in depth but 'better' is pretty subjective, especially since the VN and the anime are such different mediums of telling the story.

Lutga said:
That said, I wouldn't go as far as some Type Moon fans do where they completely pretend the Tsukihime anime doesn't exist.
Yeah that's kind of ridiculous.
Bonus points for this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnRhRLIudk

Lutga said:
If MVM ever gets the Blu-Rays, I'd double dip for sure.
Better late than never! I kind of doubt it will happen though.
Thinking of importing the JP set but it's not cheap.

BlackStrat said:
Buzz201 said:
So, which is better the VN or anime?
I wouldn't know, like IncendiaryLemon I went through the trouble of installing the VN but it's still there waiting on my desktop.
I'd assume that the source material goes more in depth but 'better' is pretty subjective, especially since the VN and the anime are such different mediums of telling the story.
I'm in the same situation, and I have a bit of free time coming up, so I was wondering whether to bother playing all (apparently) 30 hours of the VN or just watch the anime instead.

Well the Vn still hasn't been fully adapted yet, 1 of the routes has bad animation and kinda bastardised (fate 2006) while UBW 2014 expects you to have read the VN and seen zero. I read the VN just before the UBW anime came out and it was definitely worth it.

I can't decide if it's worth watching any of the Fate stuff since I'm unlikely to ever get around to the visual novels (unless maybe they came out in a handy PS4 release in the UK or something). It seems like something that you need to kind of "join the fandom" to get the most out of and I'm not sure I'd want to commit to that.

I'd say don't let the VN aspect put you off - honestly, you can just go straight in with the anime and never read the VN if you want. Yes, you maybe won't get all the same nuances, but it'd be a shame to write off what's one of the most interesting universes in anime because of it. Seriously, Type Moon fans get a lot of stick, and some of it is deserved, but if you strip all that away and just go in fresh then you'll probably enjoy it more.

I hope a publisher (like say PQube) picks up the rights to Realta Nua and Hollow Ataraxia and brings it over to the PlayStation Vita. That would be cool.

I don't know, something tells me the whole (pre-)pubescent characters having sex to improve their magical ability thing might not be as well received in the West...

Buzz201 said:
I don't know, something tells me the whole (pre-)pubescent characters having sex to improve their magical ability thing might not be as well received in the West...
That was why I found Harry Potter disappointing...

Back