Expo Licensing Stuffs

Sad to hear Beez are still struggling after the riot fire. Kaze have some interesting tidbits, especially about looking at series which had been passed over before.

My uncompromising attitude towards blu-ray regions will probably prevent me from getting as much out of some of these announcements as I would have done otherwise, but if we beat R1 to the punch on a few DVDs might be purchased.

I'm still hoping Manga announcing Shiki means that Funimation are on track for an early 2012 release instead of it slipping back vaguely for a while. Itching to see it.

R

Just Passing Through said:
Joshawott said:
Kaze:
- Have physical release rights for: Un-Go, Mirai Nikki and Persona 4.

See Steins;Gate, Nichijou and Usagi Drop I could get behind, but dropping more mediocre into the UK market isn't getting me at all excited.
Nichijou's sales in Japan will probably make a UK distributor nervous about releasing it here, but I 100% agree with Steins;Gate and Usagi Drop. Maybe with Steins;Gate, Manga and Kaze are waiting on FUNimation's dub?

Joshawott said:
Manga UK:
- Shiki
- Bleach: Fade to Black delayed to May 2012 due to issue with subtitle delivery. Will get both a DVD and Blu-Ray release.
- Have a lot more they can't announce yet.
- Expect to see Kaze logo on MangaUK releases more. They want to work closer with AnimeOnDemand for streaming, discounts.
Glad about Shiki as stated in previous post. Bleach can wait for. Was wondering when Kaze would be more out there in terms of branding, so at least a logo on DVDs and Blu-rays is a start. Hopefully they won't take too long with the other announcements - oh wait... this is Manga we're talking about so I expect it being many months before we hear anything back.

Kaze:
- Are currently looking at a couple of Spring titles that proved to be more popular than expected. Moshidora is being looked at in particular, but may be hard to market due to the baseball premise.
- Will be pressing for anime on UK TV next year via their French department, although it is incredibly tough to do, no advertising money in it.
Going by what's been licenesed or what I think has proved popular, Hanasaku Iroha, Steins;Gate, The World God Only Knows and Ano Hana.

Deadman Wonderland and Blue Exorcist I guess are a possibility too.

Beez:
- Warehouse fire: reprinting old titles is huge cash commitment, insurance and cash flow are problems.
- Durarara will probably be released in a boxset with English dub.
I would be a disappointed if it doesn't include the dub.

Any idea why the panel was moved to Sunday instead of Saturday? I'd tried to get timetables so I could know which day to attend for the best coverage, so I was a bit dissapointed to arrive and only then be informed the panel was on Sunday this time. I was assuming it was a partial knock on from the riots/scheduling conflicts, but I do wish the organizers had better presented this information beforehand.

HellCat said:
Any idea why the panel was moved to Sunday instead of Saturday? I'd tried to get timetables so I could know which day to attend for the best coverage, so I was a bit dissapointed to arrive and only then be informed the panel was on Sunday this time. I was assuming it was a partial knock on from the riots/scheduling conflicts, but I do wish the organizers had better presented this information beforehand.

It was always on Sunday (there was a schedule on the MCM Buzz website, no idea why they don't make this easier to find on the main website...), however there were some crossed wires somewhere which led to Manga tweeting it would be on Saturday. I didn't bother going today so I missed it :/ Saturday would have been more convenient. I don't like going on Sundays as all the good stuff has already been sold out.

R

Since the update, I'm really happy that MVM has relicensed Kiddy Grade and Fruits Basket. Definitely will pick them up when they come out ^_^

I'm pleased that Kaze have got Mirai Nikki isnce it's one of my favourite series from the current season.

Rui said:
HellCat said:

It was always on Sunday (there was a schedule on the MCM Buzz website, no idea why they don't make this easier to find on the main website...), however there were some crossed wires somewhere which led to Manga tweeting it would be on Saturday. I didn't bother going today so I missed it :/ Saturday would have been more convenient. I don't like going on Sundays as all the good stuff has already been sold out.

R

Sorry, I was comparing it to the last two I'd attended where the panel was on the Saturday.
Thanks for the information on where best to find their schedules, I'll keep that in mind in future :) Totally agree though that said information should be easily found on the specific event site.

Sweet, Tales of Vesperia is pretty unexpected. I hadn't thought they'd have had much interest given how virtually impossible the GAME was to get here, especially as rumours have it the physical stock released to Europe for the game was something silly low like 10K for the entirety of Europe. (Damn you Namco-Bandai!). If that's coming out on BD and isn't something silly like £35 then that'll be a buy for me unless anything major happens.

Hopefully if it gets a dub track, it retains the voice actors from the english dub of the game. I'm not a fan of most dubs, but the dub for ToV was excellent in the most part, and as it's the only audio option you've got on the 360, it'd be a bit jarring for it not to be on the film, although I've already seen it in Japanese :)
I've got a mate wanting to borrow the game and this'd be a great introduction to the world before he plays the game, especially if it's dubbed.

Also, those viewing figures for Akira don't sound terrible, especially when you consider that's only Sky viewers, and won't be everyone with an interest in that area either as not everyone will have wanted to watch it at the time. :)

Joshawott said:
- Expect to see Kaze logo on MangaUK releases more. They want to work closer with AnimeOnDemand for streaming, discounts.
Sounds good. If it ends up anything like the Funi/NicoNico tie-up, it would sound very good.

Kaze:
Good news in terms of the type of title they're going for and announcing this early. Let's hope UN-GO and Mirai Nikki improve a little as they go on.

- Are currently looking at a couple of Spring titles that proved to be more popular than expected. Moshidora is being looked at in particular, but may be hard to market due to the baseball premise.
Don't quite understand this as Moshidora sold terribly on DVD/BD iirc, even if you don't compare it to the (non-Otaku targeted) novel it's based on and the inherent low-ball expectations for home video sales. In fact, the anime wasn't even that good in the end imo, and I should have been one of the first people to like it. Would be a crazy title to pick up for the UK.

Spring this year was one of the most stacked seasons of pretty much all-time, too.

/puzzled

- Will be pressing for anime on UK TV next year via their French department, although it is incredibly tough to do, no advertising money in it.
- Princess Jellyfish - Q2 2012.
Woooooo~

- UK companies response to discussion of anime on UK terrestrial TV was worse than negative.
Heh.

You're honestly saying that there's not a bunch of Geeky things you can get adverts for airing during airing anime?

Sure, Ofcom will probably kill your ass if you air Inazuma Eleven adverts during Inazuma Eleven but still, that's not the only geek focused DS game out ever...

\
alexrose1uk said:
Also, those viewing figures for Akira don't sound terrible, especially when you consider that's only Sky viewers, and won't be everyone with an interest in that area either as not everyone will have wanted to watch it at the time. :)
I watched it on Cable.

ConanThe3rd said:
You're honestly saying that there's not a bunch of Geeky things you can get adverts for airing during airing anime?

Sure, Ofcom will probably kill your ass if you air Inazuma Eleven adverts during Inazuma Eleven but still, that's not the only geek focused DS game out ever...
I imagine they'd be able to get a few game companies and movies based on comic books. and cleaning products (j/k xD)

Joshawott said:
ConanThe3rd said:

I imagine they'd be able to get a few game companies and movies based on comic books. and cleaning products (j/k xD)
Hey, even the nerd demographic needs to keep clean.

Shiroi Hane said:
\
alexrose1uk said:
I watched it on Cable.

Whoops. You know what I meant though, its not something everyone has.

If Kaze/Manga/MVM are reading have you guys ever thought about going down the route of virgin media on demand. Theres quite a few channels on there that you can watch tv shows and some which you have to pay a monthly few to watch, as far as I am aware all the shows are encrypted so they can't be copied.

Its like streaming to your TV but without the pain of signal loss from your wifi or slow down if to many people after the same show.

I for one would be interested in this if you were to do it.

ConanThe3rd said:

It's not the problem of finding things to advertise, it's the problem of advertising to a tiny, tiny audience. If something major and outside of the anime hardcore anime demographic like Akira gets 50,000 viewers, your average anime series is looking at maybe a couple of thousand at an absolute maximum, and quite possibly significantly less.

As for Dragon Ball Z, it was mentioned as a question to Manga Entertainment, the response was simply "no comment" as it still isn't something they can talk about.

Unfortunately, UK Anime have failed to report the most important discovery made during the Expo, which is to say that a certain somebody likes to spend every day shuffling.

Back