Expo Licensing Stuffs

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Source

Ahead of what is said to be a busy day at Expo tomorrow, MangaUK have announced that they have the licenses for Strike Witches 2 and Shiki.

EDIT: Thought I'd make this a more general thread.

Manga UK:
- Strike Witches 2
- Shiki
- Tales of Vesperia (DVD/Blu-Ray)
- Bleach: Fade to Black delayed to May 2012 due to issue with subtitle delivery. Will get both a DVD and Blu-Ray release.
- Naruto Shippuden movie 2 will get a DVD/BD release, boxset with movies 1 and 2 on BD also planned.
- Have a lot more they can't announce yet.
- Expect to see Kaze logo on MangaUK releases more. They want to work closer with AnimeOnDemand for streaming, discounts.
- Akira's SyFy airing in HD got 53,000 viewers and another 30,000 on catch up service.
- Gantz: Perfect Answer out on 7th February, same date as Tekken Blood Vengeance.

Kaze:
- Have physical release rights for: Un-Go, Mirai Nikki and Persona 4.
- Might have something to announce about Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below later this month.
- Are currently looking at a couple of Spring titles that proved to be more popular than expected. Moshidora is being looked at in particular, but may be hard to market due to the baseball premise.
- Will be pressing for anime on UK TV next year via their French department, although it is incredibly tough to do, no advertising money in it.
- Samurai Girls delayed until January 2012; DVD/BD release at same time.
- Trigun: Badlands Rumble in Q1 2012, Mardock Scramble on DVD/BD early March.
- Princess Jellyfish - Q2 2012.

Beez:
- Warehouse fire: reprinting old titles is huge cash commitment, insurance and cash flow are problems.
- Durarara will probably be released in a boxset with English dub.

MVM:
- Relicensed Fruits Basket and Kiddy Grade for boxset release. Fruits Basket on 6th February, Kiddy Grade on 5th March.
- Welcome To The NHK - 9th January
- UK companies response to discussion of anime on UK terrestrial TV was worse than negative.
- Live-action Takashi Miike's Crow to be released in April/May next year.

Other Information:
- Akira sold 12,000 blu-ray copies this year. There were 2,500 pre-orders for the Steelbook.
- HMV is MangaUK's biggest buyer, but Amazon are MVM's.
- 85% of people in Manga UK's survey have a PS3, but only 8-9% buy their Blu-Rays.
- MVM states that as long as prices here are comparable to the US, importing isn't a huge problem.

Online VS Brick and Mortar
Funnily enough, MangaUK said that Brick and Mortar stores are more important for anime fans under 18, whereas Kaze said brick and mortar anime sales are dying. MVM said selling in supermarkets means less profit margins and larger inventory.[/u]

Hot damn! Two outstanding licenses.

If they reaaaaaalllly get their act together, I will maybe buy their SW2 release (BD situation may affect that, though). I already imported the Shiki BDs, however.

Hmm, not interested in SW but what's this Shiki then?

::reads up::

That actually sounds alright. I'm up for some half-decent horror. 'Tis the season.

ANN said:
An isolated village in which old customs, such as the burial of the dead, are still practiced.
I know they're alluding to cremation but still, that got a chuckle. Nonchalantly leaving corpses to rot where they die has surely got to be the last taboo.

Good news on Shiki.
It's overall a pretty good show, with lots of play on morality and grey rather than good or evil, and a bunch of rather strange characters. Quite enjoyed it, and it's not the current Twilight-Esque style vampire tale that's in fashion, so its nice to see a show like that being brought to the UK.

ayase said:
ANN said:
An isolated village in which old customs, such as the burial of the dead, are still practiced.
I know they're alluding to cremation but still, that got a chuckle. Nonchalantly leaving corpses to rot where they die has surely got to be the last taboo.
Yes, it's about at that stage where you know this is set in Japan... or Louisiana.

strike witches ****. Shiki ? really glad that one is getting picked up. woo to tales of verspia as well. Looks likely that persona 4 is going to see a dvd release after all! 85% of people in Manga UK's survey have a PS3, but only 8-9% buy their Blu-Rays= maybe if you didn't cancel shows we would buy more of then?

Yeah for fruit baskets as well! But that is it? nothing from beez? Looks like i will have to import bakuman, star driver and the world only god knows then

I'm a boring guy with no life so I'm following UKAnime's twitter; so I decided to edit this thread into a more general Expo thread.

Shame to hear about the Bleach movie delay, but a BD release makes up for it.

Probably importing SWII for boxy goodness, but I'll wait for Manga's release of Shiki providing they do a BD release.

120,000 copies of Akira on BD alone sounds amazing! A bit too amazing, actually... you sure that's not 12,000? EDIT: checked the Twitter link and, yeah, it's 12k.

Kaze stuff looks interesting, gutted about Bleach movie but can wait.

Hope manga don't take to long annoucing what they got as might be something i'm thinking of importing & they could lose a sale.

UPDATE Cancelling dvd preorder of Samurai Girls and preordering BluRay

Woo update! like the sound of Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below getting a uk release! Shame about the bleach movie getting a delay but hey what can you do?

Trigun: Badlands Rumble and Mardock Scramble are buys as well!

fabricatedlunatic said:
Probably importing SWII for boxy goodness, but I'll wait for Manga's release of Shiki providing they do a BD release.

120,000 copies of Akira on BD alone sounds amazing! A bit too amazing, actually... you sure that's not 12,000? EDIT: checked the Twitter link and, yeah, it's 12k.
Edited.

devilrules666 said:
By the way not that I would have brought it anyway... Where was Dragon Ball z?
Yeah, I was confused at the lack of Dragonball Z. Maybe Toei punished MangaUK for the leak by making them announce it later, as they did say they have a few titles they can't announce yet.

Bleach: Fade to Black in May 2012 has annoyed me a bit, but it's good to see it getting a BD release (I couldn't give a damn about the Naruto movies to be honest; since the first they've all sucked). Durarara's dub finally potentially getting a release has me interested, because I just couldn't justify paying that much money for the sub-only releases.

So happy to see Durarara getting another release, i was really worried it would go out of stock & i'd miss my chance.

Shiki has made me VERY happy, came very close to importing tons of times so i'm happy to see a UK release.

Of course Dragonball Z is no where to be seen. Far be it for Manga to show any competency now.

And I'm hardly surprised the reaction to airing stuff on TV was negative when the likes of Disney can air your show for all of a month and then yank it off in favour of generic tween dramady #42 (Inazuma Eleven)

On the lighter side of things, Will pick up Durararara box set if it has the dub (this was largely why I hadn't picked it up prior), Tales of Vesperia: The first strike, will also probably get Fruits Basket Box set whilst I'm at it.

Persona 4 goes without saying,

Back