Expo Licensing Stuffs

Don't people think TV is a bit of a dying format though (at least for anything more cerebral than reality shows)? I'm still amazed advertising space is worth anything in the age of AdBlock. When I watch a programme, I don't want to see adverts. They're a nuisance and a waste of my time. So what tends to be on my TV at any given moment is a BBC channel or a DVD.

Zin5ki said:
Unfortunately, UK Anime have failed to report the most important discovery made during the Expo, which is to say that a certain somebody likes to spend every day shuffling.

is it Discord?

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36DUeE88F70?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36DUeE88F70?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Without TV how am I supposed to get my latest fix of X-Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, EastEnders, 16 & Pregnant and Jersey Shore?

On second thought, if TV died I wouldn't give a ****.

Joshawott said:
Without TV how am I supposed to get my latest fix of X-Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, EastEnders, 16 & Pregnant and Jersey Shore?

On second thought, if TV died I wouldn't give a ****.
Those are all reality shows. Scripted television is still awesome.

Just Passing Through said:
How many shows do Funimation hold the UK rights for that have never seen the light of day over here?
Kaze UK is less likely to waste money on a license they will never use. FUNi often gets the UK thrown in (or at least cheap) with the US license, which is where the big money is. Whether it gets released here is largely up to whether Manga options it.

Shiroi Hane said:
Just Passing Through said:
How many shows do Funimation hold the UK rights for that have never seen the light of day over here?
Kaze UK is less likely to waste money on a license they will never use. FUNi often gets the UK thrown in (or at least cheap) with the US license, which is where the big money is. Whether it gets released here is largely up to whether Manga options it.

Kaze UK is also Kaze Europe, and I can see them releasing stuff across the channel that might not have the legs to support a UK release. On the bright side, it might mean that Region 2 stuff with English materials will be easy to get hold of, even if it isn't locally available. But it'll be about balancing localisation costs, packaging and BBFC certification against likely sales. A mega niche title that wouldn't break three figures in the UK would best be left to a European market.

mangaman74 said:
animefreak17 said:
tv is dying cause of the internet. the internet is the new tv. you can look up what you want to watch
Not for me it isn't. If I want to watch something I'd rather watch it on the big screen.
The physical item "a television" is different from the medium of television though, which is what AF and others were referring to. Everybody likes big screens, which is why my TV is connected to the graphics card in my PC.

I'm so buying NHK!!! I got to be honest, I relate alot to the main character which is rare for me.

Just wish the mangas were easier to get ahold of now... are they out of print or something? :cry:

ayase said:
Don't people think TV is a bit of a dying format though (at least for anything more cerebral than reality shows)? I'm still amazed advertising space is worth anything in the age of AdBlock. When I watch a programme, I don't want to see adverts. They're a nuisance and a waste of my time. So what tends to be on my TV at any given moment is a BBC channel or a DVD.

You'd think so and I genuinely thought the same. There's an interesting argument which is TV is still super strong for the general public though even for teens.

The stats tend to prove that for now though - however I don't think it's unfair to say that digital is where most of the anime community are with regards to replacing TV though.

So it's a kind of balance - you need a strong digital offering to interest the existing community but without TV you'll lose out longer term. I mean there is a whole generation who woke up or stayed up late to see Nadesico and Evangelion on Sci-Fi, people who tuned in for DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing on CNX and 4Kids too.

It's a very weird phenomenon - but TV is at least on paper very much alive right now. For the pre-existing anime community - am not so convinced.

Something I'd been thinking on recently so figured why not share!

Andrew,
Still working...

Inazuma Eleven was sent out to die and then shot before it could even do that.

If that's not the textbook definition of "TV is dead for this audience" (and the audience of "Child with more than one 1 IQ") I honestly don't know what is.

kaze_andrew said:
ayase said:
You'd think so and I genuinely thought the same. There's an interesting argument which is TV is still super strong for the general public though even for teens.

The stats tend to prove that for now though - however I don't think it's unfair to say that digital is where most of the anime community are with regards to replacing TV though.

So it's a kind of balance - you need a strong digital offering to interest the existing community but without TV you'll lose out longer term. I mean there is a whole generation who woke up or stayed up late to see Nadesico and Evangelion on Sci-Fi, people who tuned in for DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing on CNX and 4Kids too.

It's a very weird phenomenon - but TV is at least on paper very much alive right now. For the pre-existing anime community - am not so convinced.

Something I'd been thinking on recently so figured why not share!

Andrew,
Still working...
Appreciate the input Andrew. It's always helps the discussion if we know what you guys are thinking in the first place!

I take it it's still a bit of a leap into the unknown though, with anime being off the small screen for a long time and the whole media environment having changed so much? I suppose freeview has increased the number of channels available in every home, but it also increases the amount of crap people have to sift through to find what they want to watch. It might be interesting to consider what made people tune in to anime on TV in the first place... I watched the odd film on Channel 4, but never had satellite so just got into DVDs instead. But what caught my eye about anime back in the 90s, long before I even watched it for the first time? Let me demonstrate with a picture:

MasamuneShirow271303.jpg

This is the sort of thing I would see in the back of Amiga games catalogues with Manga videos I couldn't buy because of the 18 certificates on them (that and we didn't have a video recorder). But it looked cool. It looked sexy. I was a teenager, I liked women and I liked machines (and still do). Unfortunately the problem with taking that tack now is that I don't see a lot of the same in modern titles, with the apparent shift in tastes in Japan (and pandering by producers) towards "cute" and away from "hot". And this I think is the problem when it comes to selling it to a western audience. As loathe as I am to say it, anime doesn't look particularly cool or sexy any more even to me, let alone someone still in the "cartoons are for kids" mentality.

Back