Epic Film/Anime

CharMangaTastic

Completely Average High School Student
Hey guys and girls.

I was wondering what's a really epic anime film or series to watch and also a non anime film?

CharMangaTastic <3

If you want an engrossing, well plotted and involving anime series, you OWE it to yourself to pick up both series of Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Plus the Solid State Society movie, as a little endcap to the series.

But then, nobody needed to tell you that, right?

Epic anime? I don't think i've come across one that shares the same spotlight as i have for non-anime movies, i've come across some great shows though. Like the recent Gundam Unicorn for example. Non-anime films would be stuff like the Lord of the Rings movies...Examples of how adaptions should be done (granted stuff was still left out but come on did you want to be in the cinema for 10 hours+)

....Actually now that i think of it, there's one show that can come close...That show is the King of Brave GaoGaiGar, a show that's due a rewatch sometime soon me thinks.

Well I really like Lodoss War and then Lodoss: Tales of the Heroic Knight. I also love 12 Kingdoms. But that's just me, I think most anime series with a good plot are pretty epic, even sometimes OAV's^^
2762.jpg

Non-anime film, I recommend Angels One Five. It's very touching.
51T4KNB10XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Define epic. Epic in the sense of AN epic like Lord of the Rings is a fantasy epic or Star Wars is a sci-fi epic, or in the current usage of just really really good?

If the former... hmmm I guess Akira is an epic of sorts. The manga definitely is and the anime is fairly faithful. Code Geass while not an epic has a scope similar to that of an epic

If the latter then I'd say Death Note and The Dark Knight =P borign responses maybe but I think they are both spectacular.

Epic meaning you get a totally euphoric expierence from watching it and it makes you wanna watch it over and over.

CharMangaTastic <3

Epic? I will echo Sparrow with Gurren Lagann then. It's always a toss up between LoGH and TTGL whenever someone mentions "epic" and "anime" together for me now. I haven't seen it but Summer Wars is probably a good bet as well.

Also, LotR, the original Star Wars and I'll chuck Lost into the mix for good measure.

CharMangaTastic said:
Epic meaning you get a totally euphoric expierence from watching it and it makes you wanna watch it over and over.

CharMangaTastic <3

Then Gurren Lagann definitely counts. Death Note...not exactly euphoric, but more exhilarating and I still love watching it over and over so I think that can count.

Oh and Millennium Actress, I'd say that was a euphoric experience of sorts

Epic anime movie? I'd probably go simple and say Princess Mononoke. It has the whole Lord of the Rings 'from the village to the world at stake' sweep, and plenty of battles, landscapes, giant walking beasts... typical fantasy epic stuff. Of course, Nausicaa qualifies on the same points, but it's too orange.

Non-anime epic: Lawrence of Arabia and Gone with the Wind would probably be standard answers. They're both lengthy, fascinating films.

kupocake said:
Of course, Nausicaa qualifies on the same points, but it's too orange.
LOL Nausicaa does have a sequence animated by Hiroaki Anno as well, which is pretty easy to guess, if you know you're Eva =)

I would consider Epic meaning, (an epic) scope.

Wiki:
Epics in this sense are majestic depictions that capture impressive struggles, such as stories of war, adventures, and other efforts of great scope and size over long periods of time.

Anime: Summer Wars, Eva 1 (and 2: watched it subbed, absolutely amazing), GITS SAS (as epic as it gets), Fullmetal Alchemist (first series, not watched much of 2nd yet - waiting for it to end), Kurau.

Movies: LoTR, Matrix (3rd one is really bad though), Dark Knight or anything else by Christipher Nolan - epic or not he can tell a story - Inception looks and sounds EPIC (love the trailer music) which is out in a several weeks time.

Back