Doctor Who Discussion

Looks that way, not that surprising as it’s regarded as one of the most popular seasons of the classic era.

There were also issues with pre-orders being cancelled with certain retailers like Base which left people without. Not sure if they intend to do reissues of the other sets or not.

I saw that, great to see work is resuming - still wondering if S20 is next, as some have predicted.

Last edited:
So the latest in regards to The Collection line is that we’re rumoured to be getting Season 8 next year. This is based on a listing popping up and also would also coincide with the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of The Master.

I thought another Pertwee season might be on the cards soon but my bet would have been Season 9 before 7/8/11, but no complaints here if this is true.

Of course this is all currently speculation and if it turns out to be incorrect I’ll delete this post to avoid any confusion.

View attachment 15764
View attachment 15765HMV confirmed it, looking forward to adding this to the collection!
Everything about this is wonderful! Despite being in my twenties, I grew up on VHS tapes of Pertwee and these serials (particularly the Daemons here in this case). Wouldn't miss any of these sets because of FOMO (having had import the first Tom Baker set) but this the quickest Preorder one yet for me!

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see how the restoration turns out, the brief scenes from trailer already look promising! There’s eight discs too so this should be another loaded set in terms of bonus content (see a list of new special features below):
  • Behind the Sofa – New episodes with Katy Manning, Stewart Bevan, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Sacha Dhawan and Anjli Mohindra.
  • In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to companion Katy Manning.
    A Devils Weekend – Actors Katy Manning and John Levene take a personal trip back to the picturesque village of Aldbourne, 50 years after they recorded the Doctor Who story The Daemons there.
  • The Direct Route – Doctor Who directors Michael Briant, Graeme Harper and Tim Combe take an epic road trip to all the filming locations from Season 8 as they discuss directing the show in the early 1970s.
  • Terrance and Me – Lifelong Doctor Who fan, Frank Skinner sets out to meet the family, friends and colleagues of the late, much-loved writer, Terrance Dicks.
  • Blu-Ray trailer – A specially shot mini-episode
  • Extended Episode 1 of The Claws of Axos
  • 90 minute omnibus edition of The Daemons
  • An Immersive 5.1 surround sound on Terror of the Autons and The Daemons
  • Optional updated special effects and CSO clean-up on Terror of the Autons
  • Unseen studio footage
  • Rare archive treats
  • Convention footage
  • HD photo galleries
  • Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files

I do think by them getting Anjli Mohindra for this (i mean yes it’s because she’s dating the current master but still) I do think they should get the SJA cast to watch S11.

What were people's impressions of the New Year's special? I thought it was decent, but a bit of a paint-by-numbers invasion story. Its major plot beats have all been done before (humans tricked into aiding an alien invasion, two factions of daleks fighting each other, slimy traitor sides with the daleks, etc). At least it didn't try to shoehorn in a holiday theme; that was usually a millstone around the neck of many previous Christmas specials, with only A Christmas Carol doing it justice.

The Chibnall era can't end soon enough for my liking. He's improved a bit since his terrible first season, but he's bled all the wonder, imagination, and quirkiness out of Doctor Who.

I still think series 7 is the worst season and Hell Bent in S9 the worst episode but it all depends on how good the Timeless children reveal plays out longer term and how John Bishop works as I felt Bradley Walsh’s success was a fluke rather than a template.
But yes it was a generic dalek episode and I’m glad they confirmed that the daleks from Resolution are considered inferior.

NOOO The worst season.. the campest and worst. Time and the Rani already why!!!

why are they reuniting the seventh doctor with all his companions, I assume the S20 will be about Tegan at this rate. (Then again Russell T Davies has already made Tegan and Nyssa a couple for some reason so watch it pick up on that)

Last edited:
I’ve never been adverse to the season - Paradise Towers and Delta are good fun, never been much of a fan of Dragonfire though and Haven’t watched TATR in a long time. Will see if these thoughts change once I watch the season again with this release.

The special features alone will make it worth owning for me as the extended episodes and documentaries are great - The Last Chance Saloon doc from the Rani DVD release was very insightful.

Back