Doctor Who Discussion

For me it does feel like a show lost. So it doesn’t know what tone it wants Delta and the banner man is my prime example it’s just campy butlins rip off then they kill off all the tour bus now it’s these evil mercenaries. Especially compared to S25 and 26 it feels really lost. They do build on that but I do hate the comedy 7th doctor compared to the Machiavellian version we got later.
It does have good moments Mel’s exit is the best part of the series and her entire run.

I agree on how the Seventh Doctor improved character-wise later on, though McCoy does his best with the scripts and stories given (Seven becoming a master manipulator in 25/26 is one of the reasons they’re my favourite Doctor.) That said, I hope that a rewatch can improve my appreciation further for what positives the season has to offer.

Another reason why I love the documentaries for this season is that they didn’t shy away from the behind the scenes issues. Hopefully the new ones can offer further insight, which the Here’s to the Future doc appears to be doing.

Last edited:
My Season 8 Pre-order has been charged by HMV, looking forward to delving into the earthbound UNIT era of the Pertwee era.

The new special features made for Season 8 have been superb so far, and again nicely accompany the already solid array of existing special features made for the DVDs.

DW12.png

For those who missed some of the Blu-ray collection sets so far HMV has listings for, what are effectively, standard editions of Season 12 & Season 19. Both are £37.99

Here is Season 12
Here is Season 19

Last edited:
A great opportunity for those who missed out and want to get into the collection line. These are truly great releases but they don’t hang around long past release date.

I've got so many classic series Doctor Who DVDs that I haven't bothered trying the blu-rays yet, especially since everything except Spearhead was shot on video. How do they compare visually? Are they upscales or just SD on BD?

I've got so many classic series Doctor Who DVDs that I haven't bothered trying the blu-rays yet, especially since everything except Spearhead was shot on video. How do they compare visually? Are they upscales or just SD on BD?
They’re upscales, excepting where on-location film prints are available. So in Season 19 where the original camera negatives exist the content is rendered in true HD, so to speak.

In general these releases are an improvement on the DVDs thanks to less compression and some great new audio mixes. You also get a host of wonderful new extras alongside the already great selection of content carried over from the DVD releases.

Last edited:
They’re upscales, excepting where on-location film prints are available. So in Season 19 where the original camera negatives exist the content is rendered in true HD, so to speak.

In general these releases are an improvement on the DVDs thanks to less compression and some great new audio mixes. You also get a host of great new extras alongside what’s carried over from the DVDs.
That's interesting. Considering how haphazard the BBC used to be with their archives, I just assumed none of the location film elements had survived!

There’s a list out there somewhere of all the existing film elements that have survived from the classic series but alas I cannot find it. These sets are honestly worth it for the special features alone and I’ve yet to be disappointed by how the picture or sound quality has turned out despite my tempered expectations when they were first announced back in 2018.

I’ve now watched Season 24 BD and I think Trial of a time lord is worse, and I kind of dislike Peri more than Mel now. Mel had moments and especially in the audios where she works really well and bar Caves of Androzani which is more Davison than Bryant. Also if Mel didn’t scream she wouldn’t be anywhere as bad and I think like with Clara later on I realize it’s the writers that ruined them as Bonnie Langford can act they just wrote her terribly as she works quite well especially in Delta and the bannermen when she doesn’t scream when the bus blows up.
Hopefully Season 20 next as Davison said at the end of their behind the soft next time hopefully less Perspex.

I agree when it comes to Mel and screaming, she has some nice moments throughout the season but it’s clear they didn’t have much of a story path for her character. It’s great though that Bonnie Langford, having not been as involved with the DVDs is all over this and the season 23 sets and offers some nice insights.

Last edited:
Yeah I think you can tell past few years she’s now fully embraced that doctor who was more than just a job, it looks like eastenders helped with that for her. As she’s appearing in a lot more big finish again as she appeared a bit at the started then stopped from 2005-2013 and now Is back quite frequently and even has audios with 7 and Ace which I’m looking forward to affording one day and looking forward to the lost story with 6 by Russell T Davies that’s due this year.

Galaxy 4 has been confirmed as the next story to receive the animation treatment!

Still hoping for a further announcement for Season 17 (if it is indeed the next set we’re getting) soon as well, as I’m also curious to see what they’ll do with Shada (I suspect the McGann version might be held back for a possible “Wilderness Years 1990-2004” style boxset later down the line.)

Last edited:
Back