Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

MVM's BD of Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl, which uses NIS America's masters, have an issue with certain extras. In particular, the trailers for Anohana (the only title to receive a UK release as of this writing), Natsume's Book of Friends and Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up. Whenever I select a trailer for one of the shows, it doesn't play the trailer. Instead, the screen goes blank for about 2 seconds and then goes straight back to the menu. It's possible that they couldn't keep the trailers on the disc this time round when they re-coded it to Region B, but if that's the case, the trailers listing could've at least been removed on the menu (just like some of the Funimation and Sentai releases re-coded to Region B for UK and Australian release).

Thankfully, the rest of the extras (textless opening and closings and the Japanese trailer) work without issue.

Last edited:
I can't find the post now, but I'm sure someone on this site mentioned that Manga had fixed the Ghost in the Shell movie Blu-ray when they re-released it in 2017, following the borked 2014 steelbook release.

Just to mention that I watched the 2017 disc last night, and it is just as borked, missing English audio elements and those horrible, re-written subtitles. In other words, the same disc.

I can't find the post now, but I'm sure someone on this site mentioned that Manga had fixed the Ghost in the Shell movie Blu-ray when they re-released it in 2017, following the borked 2014 steelbook release.

Just to mention that I watched the 2017 disc last night, and it is just as borked, missing English audio elements and those horrible, re-written subtitles. In other words, the same disc.

i dunno if he mentioned it on here or just blu-ray.com but that was @NormanicGrav

I own not a gaming console, since I do not game at all. I just have two Oppo Blu-ray players (93 and 203) which I hardware-modded to be region-switchable, and three 10+ year old Pioneer DVD players I don't use anymore, all hardware-modded as well.

Recieved Shield Hero part 2 today and it also doesn't play on my PS4. Seems to be a different message than the other one.
20200725_150033.jpg
Having searched the error code Sony suggests it's a pirated disc, simply not a blu ray or dirty 😂

Can confirm it does play on my Xbone though 🤷‍♂️
20200725_145738.jpg

How old is the PS4? If it's seen more the 3000 hours of disc play, the laser might be dying. It might be worth checking some old discs that you're sure that work to see if they still do. Either that or it needs a firmware update if it's only the newer discs that it's refusing to read.

To provide some context, I have the Blu-ray & DVD combo pack version which works on my original (1TB Edition) PS4 without issues.

Do the rest of you own the regular Blu-ray version?

Back