Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Yeah, they all appear to use FUNimation's masters. The only ones that don't are non-English friendly releases (the only one announced so far is @Anime in France. Dynit said they couldn't due to Crunchyroll owning some rights or something...)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Collector's Edition Blu-ray

Content:
Video:
  • Interlacing issues reported throughout. This is likely to be caused by the series presented in 1080p when the Japanese master was in 1080i.
  • While UK reviewers have yet to report on this, as this is based on the French master there will be video banding as well.
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Blu-ray

Video:
  • Video banding presented throughout, making it one of the less pretty Blu-ray releases in anime. This is caused by Funimation's authoring so Anime Ltd is not responsible.

Content:
Video:
  • Interlacing issues reported throughout. This is likely to be caused by the series presented in 1080p when the Japanese master was in 1080i.
  • While UK reviewers have yet to report on this, as this is based on the French master there will be video banding as well.

I guess the interlacing issues were to be expected given the conversion. The review does state "during selective episodes" rather than "throughout" though, which I think have rather different meanings. From the example given it looks like it might have been the CGI that gave them trouble, which isn't great, but is kind of understandable.

Personally I've never given the slightest toss about chapter markers because I'm never going to watch less than one full episode of something, and if I get interrupted I have a pause button.

I guess the interlacing issues were to be expected given the conversion. The review does state "during selective episodes" rather than "throughout" though, which I think have rather different meanings. From the example given it looks like it might have been the CGI that gave them trouble, which isn't great, but is kind of understandable.

Personally I've never given the slightest toss about chapter markers because I'm never going to watch less than one full episode of something, and if I get interrupted I have a pause button.

Yeah it seems the CG is pretty much the reason why its 1080i with the original master I believe. Same went for Cowboy Bebop.

I think chapter issues are more to do with skipping OPs and EDs than returning to where you left off.
I did say "personally". But people could always just enjoy/suffer through the OPs for all of the >90 seconds they last... and is a chapter marker really necessary to skip the ED?

Content:
Video:
  • While UK reviewers have yet to report on this, as this is based on the French master there will be video banding as well

First two are not really issues for me, the other two I'd have to see for myself to judge how bad it is.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Blu-ray

Video:
  • Video banding presented throughout, making it one of the less pretty Blu-ray releases in anime. This is caused by Funimation's authoring so Anime Ltd is not responsible.
I mean they're responsible for releasing it here in that state, so weird seeing people trying to give them a free pass by blaming Funi.

Content:
Not surprised a Manga release has messed up the chapter points.

I mean they're responsible for releasing it here in that state, so weird seeing people trying to give them a free pass by blaming Funi.
Fair point.

is a chapter marker really necessary to skip the ED?
For me, yes. I may watch the opening and ending once, but after that I just skip them.

Last edited:

Not really? Their hands are tied. It's expensive for them to author their own discs, hence why they only resort to doing so when other masters don't exist, so really they only have what Funi give them. They can't fix authoring issues on a disc they did not author. Yes, it sucks, but AL can not do a single thing about it unless Funi themselves do a reauthor. I can see where you are coming from on it, but you have to understand the perspective of AL too.

Not really? Their hands are tied. It's expensive for them to author their own discs, hence why they only resort to doing so when other masters don't exist, so really they only have what Funi give them. They can't fix authoring issues on a disc they did not author. Yes, it sucks, but AL can not do a single thing about it unless Funi themselves do a reauthor. I can see where you are coming from on it, but you have to understand the perspective of AL too.
I think why it’s confusing to people is they are authoring discs in France therefore they are authoring discs....

Back