Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Manga UK's In This Corner of The World CE has all of the bonus features, totalling just over an hour's worth, shoved on a DVD, and, obviously, it's PAL, so they may as well not have bothered including them at all.

Wha? Wasn't ITCOTW their special pet project (and something that's actually a darn good film)?

Guess that's another one for me to import.

R

Wha? Wasn't ITCOTW their special pet project (and something that's actually a darn good film)?

Guess that's another one for me to import.

R

Personally I'd wait for the extended edition to make a release. Apparently it will be like a different film...

“The version being released at this time is not the extended version. We touched up the theatrical version, which has been screened since November 12 of last year.The theatrical length of the film found its place with many audiences and has won many awards. This is one completed version of the film.

“The longer version based on my original storyboard will be produced as a different film from the current one. We have started working on it in August. We focused on brush up work for the theatrical version for over six months until this July. After this, we will improve our work more on the extended version, but it won’t be cheaply produced.

“We want to make it carefully and it requires time. And I have to say this again, even after the extended version is completed, I think the theatrical version will keep having its meaning.”

Talking of In This Corner of the World:
When choosing no subtitles, either for the Dub version or if you know Japanese, you still get songs and signs text. But there is no lyrics for the song that plays under the end of the film or for the song over the credits. Also there are 2 short songs sung by the MC (1:10) and then background characters (1:20) where the dub doesn't match the lyrics on the screen!

Personally I'd wait for the extended edition to make a release. Apparently it will be like a different film...
There's an extended version? It's already 2 hours and a bit long!

AL's Gundam ZZ episode 1 is a stuttering mess. This clipshow episode has been encoded in 1080p 23.976fps instead of 1080i 29.97fps like the JP/US Blu-ray.

clipshow episode
Doesn't the source of that look horrible anyway because it's a clipshow promo compiled on video tape?

Honestly, given that Tomino wanted that one episode of 0079 cut because he thought it was poorly animated I'm surprised that episode is still included. Or at the very least not relegated to a special feature. It's basically a trailer.

Doesn't the source of that look horrible anyway because it's a clipshow promo compiled on video tape?

Honestly, given that Tomino wanted that one episode of 0079 cut because he thought it was poorly animated I'm surprised that episode is still included. Or at the very least not relegated to a special feature. It's basically a trailer.
Well yeah, it's a fugly clipshow, but I would have actually sat through it if wasn't dropping frames like crazy.

Indeed strange of Tomino that he would allow this episode on the Blu-ray and not that 0079 Island episode. What's even stranger is that 'Toki wo koete' plays in the clipshow ep. I thought that was 'verboten'.

A small issue with A Silent Voice on Blu-ray.

The HOH subtitle track isn't based on the English dub script. It's the translated subtitles again, but with name captions for offscreen speakers, and sound effects added.

A small issue with A Silent Voice on Blu-ray.

The HOH subtitle track isn't based on the English dub script. It's the translated subtitles again, but with name captions for offscreen speakers, and sound effects added.
That's not a defect, we already knew it was the same SDH subtitle track as was used for the theatrical SDH screenings.

Well yeah, it's a fugly clipshow, but I would have actually sat through it if wasn't dropping frames like crazy.

Indeed strange of Tomino that he would allow this episode on the Blu-ray and not that 0079 Island episode. What's even stranger is that 'Toki wo koete' plays in the clipshow ep. I thought that was 'verboten'.

I was meaning to post about this after watching it about a week ago. It doesn't bother me too much since it's basically a clipshow with trivia however the use of the song from Zeta is particularly weird due to the rights issue.

I thought that maybe it was compiled on videotape when I saw the quality. Does the Japanese BD have it? Is it the same master used for the US Blu rays?

I was meaning to post about this after watching it about a week ago. It doesn't bother me too much since it's basically a clipshow with trivia however the use of the song from Zeta is particularly weird due to the rights issue.

I thought that maybe it was compiled on videotape when I saw the quality. Does the Japanese BD have it? Is it the same master used for the US Blu rays?
Yes it was compiled on tape. It's presented in upscaled 1080i 29.97fps on the JP Blu-ray and supposedly on the US Blu-ray too, so there shouldn't be stuttering on those two releases.

Another one for the list?

Blu-ray list:

Appleseed Ex Machina (Warner): Disc has no main menu; film autoplays with Japanese audio but with subtitles turned off. *Does not apply to DVD version

Your Name
Someone posted this in another thread (which I can't remember or find), but there's a line of dialogue in the signs only and signs/lyrics at c.6 mins (at the top of the screen), in the sub it still appears at the top unlike the rest of the dialogue lines. (DVD and Blu-Ray)

Also, in the Zen, Zen, Zense montage c.30 mins (Blu-Ray)
Mitsuhas list of does and don'ts does not have text in signs/S&L and neither list appear in the sub (I guess because there would be 3 separate lines of text on the screen at once)
Same montage (DVD)
Neither list appear all tracks. Lyrics missing, when the characters are talking both relevant tracks.

Last edited:
It's not anime, but a heads up even so. I've finally, finally gotten around to watching Black Butler: The Live action movie released here in a Warner Brothers Steelbook. For one thing, it lacks the Funimation English dub for the movie, but far worse, it's cropped from the original 2.40:1 aspect ratio to 1.78:1 fullscreen.

This is an old one, but I don't see this specific issue listed under it so here it is. I recall the Angel Beats Blu-ray (possibly the same on the DVD too) has a major subtitle clusterfuck on the final scene of the last episode. Basically it starts playing music in the background whilst both characters are talking to each other, and the result is that it translates both the character text and the music at the bottom of the screen in the same colour, so text literally obscures half of the entire screen and becomes difficult to read because the music and the dialogue are the same colour. It just kills the enjoyment of that entire scene.

I just re-watched this on the off chance I should grab a US copy instead of my UK (what with it going out of print recently) and I have yellow subs for the character dialogue, white for one set of song subs and yellow for the other, in a yellow white yellow order. Little bit sub heavy, but didn't cause much of an issue with the scene.

Is it possible that the colour issue is actually with the US version, given they love yellow subs. I'd certainly think it should be reworded on page 1 as major subtitle issue it is not.

Back