Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Yeah, there have been a few cases where we have ended up with a better version of something. Frankly, it should happen more than it does since the 'Japanese people can't use region B discs' logic is trotted out a lot when it doesn't favour us to justify redoing or locking discs, though shared materials are partly to blame.

R

I was just annoyed that fans of AoA were aggressively pitching their release of Aldnoah.Zero, despite AL's release being objectively better for most people. Sure AoA's release has a slight amount less banding, but I'd personally assume people would benefit more from the lower pricetag and uncompressed audio.

AoA fans seem to be blinded by the name, and ignore the actual content of their releases. Though I should stop saying things like that, because people seem to have convinced themselves that I'm against people buying AoA releases. (I'm not, I just take exception to some user's active campaigning against standard or cheaper editions. Though they seem to be the people that buy AoA most, so I can how they made that leap, even if it's wrong.)

I can't confirm this as I don't own a copy (and I didn't think the Shinkai track was 5.1), but according to somebody on Blu-ray.com's forum:
In regards to Voices of a Distant Star being out of sync I noticed there is an extra 5th audio track, which based on a couple of spot checks seems to be identical to the DD 5.1 Japanese track but is actually in sync. Anyone else willing to test their copy?

I had to switch to the track manually rather than choosing options from the menu.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed something... They've messed up big time. The audio track that is supposed to be the Shinkai one is actually just a duplicate of the normal 5.1 track. So the Shinkai track isn't actually on the disc. I've got a copy of the old Australian DVD and the Shinkai track is very different to the one presented on the Blu-Ray here.

Just so that I'm clear (because the thread is a bit ambiguous) we have these issues on the BD, while the DVD is ok:

English 5.1 audio (in sync)
English 2.0 audio (in sync)
Japanese 5.1 audio (out of sync)
Japanese 5.1 audio #2 (in sync?)
Japanese 2.0 audio (in sync)
Shinkai audio (missing entirely but links to the second Japanese 5.1 audio track when accessed through the menu)

Is that right?

R

Just so that I'm clear (because the thread is a bit ambiguous) we have these issues on the BD, while the DVD is ok:

English 5.1 audio (in sync)
English 2.0 audio (in sync)
Japanese 5.1 audio (out of sync)
Japanese 5.1 audio #2 (in sync?)
Japanese 2.0 audio (in sync)
Shinkai audio (missing entirely but links to the second Japanese 5.1 audio track when accessed through the menu)

Is that right?

R

That's right for the Blu-ray. I don't know about the DVD. It could be that it too has the same 5.1 Japanese audio repeated, both in sync.

Got the Funimation Lucky Star, and since All the Anime use the same discs...
The 1080i upscale has issues. Certainly you would expect some jaggies, but what was disappointing was the amount of colour bleed at those points. Since it's a dual format release, I gave the DVDs a try, and let the player upscale those, and the jaggies were the still there, but no cross colouration. And sure, there's more in the way of compression artefacts, the stars in the opening sequence tend to break up the image, but you can switch the DVDs to 24fps progressive, which makes the 1080i 60Hz interlaced transfer of the Blu-rays a bit weird.

The second thing is that there is a player incompatibility issue, the on screen text reference guide on the Blu-ray freezes on the first page on a Panasonic SA BT 490 Home Cinema. All you can do is escape the feature back to the main menu. Fortunately it's on the DVD, but I don't believe that DVD is with the UK release.

Last edited:
Got the Funimation Lucky Star, and since All the Anime use the same discs...
The 1080i upscale has issues. Certainly you would expect some jaggies, but what was disappointing was the amount of colour bleed at those points. Since it's a dual format release, I gave the DVDs a try, and let the player upscale those, and the jaggies were the still there, but no cross colouration. And sure, there's more in the way of compression artefacts, the stars in the opening sequence tend to break up the image, but you can switch the DVDs to 24fps progressive, which makes the 1080i 60Hz interlaced transfer of the Blu-rays a bit weird.

Looking at a post by NormanicGrav in the Anime Limited discussion thread:

Right, I found the details.

DVD Disc 4:
  • OVA
  • Textless Opening Song (Series)
  • Textless Ending Song (OVA)
  • On-Screen Text Reference Guide
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers (aka Funi trailers)

DVD Disc 5:
  • Key Scenes Gallery #1-12
  • Opening with Lyrics
  • Promo Clip
  • The Adventures of Minoru Shiraishi Parts 1-11
  • English Voice Cast Interviews Parts 1-3

Blu-ray Disc 3:
  • OVA
  • Lucky Racer "Checker Flag in Akibahara & Lucky Racer Highlight"
  • Radio Kansai's Public Recording of "New Lucky Channel"
  • On-Screen Text Reference Guide
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers (aka Funi trailers)

If the OVA is on Funimation's DVD disc 4, does that mean they've crammed all 24 episodes onto the first three DVDs?

If the OVA is on Funimation's DVD disc 4, does that mean they've crammed all 24 episodes onto the first three DVDs?

I ran another research check, here's the episode count for the Funimation DVD discs:
- Disc 1: Episodes 1-7
- Disc 2: Episodes: 8-14
- Disc 3: Episodes 15-21
- Disc 4: Episodes 22-24 + OVA + Extras
- Disc 5: Extras

And for the Blu-rays:
- Disc 1: Episodes 1-10
- Disc 2: Episodes 11-20
- Disc 3: Episodes 21-24 + OVA + Extras

Regards to compression artefacts; it's normal for DVD, it's just that it's more obvious if you do a direct compare and contrast to the Blu-ray. It's perfectly fine to watch... the five minutes of it that I did watch that is.

Cool.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but what do you make of Funimation's packaging for Lucky Star? I think Anime Limited's is sooo much nicer.

I love AL's choice of artwork for the 4-tray digipack, and the front of the rigid box has a full-cover version of the art that Funi relegated to a panel. The spine of AL's, too, has just the Lucky Star logo on and nothing else. The BBFC logo on the front is removed with the cellophane. Plus you get a booklet with character illustrations and some key art. It's gorgeous!

I'm getting carried away here.

Is Lucky Star the Funi port that's missing a few extras because they were on the DVD episode disc of Funi's release, but not the BD?

Yes. Some of the extras were on just the DVD version, however there was a bonus disc with just bonus content on it. AL included that disc, but since the other extras were tied to a disc with episodes on, and this release wasn't a combo pack, these extras are missing. IIRC, it wasn't a whole lot.

Still missing extras, still worthy of a mention on the thread surely?

IIRC they even had the cheek to list the missing extras on the back cover. Seems like an attempt to mislead people if ever there were...

As I mentioned in the AL post (which was quoted a few posts above), we are literally only missing the Textless Opening (TV) and Textless Ending (OVA). Everything else should be in the UK BD release plus in a way we technically have the Textless Opening (TV) because it's the lyric version.

Still missing extras, still worthy of a mention on the thread surely?

IIRC they even had the cheek to list the missing extras on the back cover. Seems like an attempt to mislead people if ever there were...

I think there's a distinction between trying to mislead people and accidentally misleading people. I don't think AL were trying to go our of their way to con people.

Back