David Cameron: a Prime Minister you can be proud of?

VivisQueen

Adventurer
So I was reading The Economist (issue May 14th -20th), and their assessment of Cameron's rulership seems quite favourable.

"Mr Cameron is in his pomp. He has turned out to be a better prime minister than he was a leader of the opposition. Labour MPs admit privately that he is a natural at his job, despite his occasional bouts of complacency. Voters prefer him to Labour's leader, Ed Miliband, by huge margins on questions such as strength, decisiveness and charisma. His role in defeating AV, and campaigning successfully for Tory councillors, has also revived his stock among the Conservative right." (page 43)

Oddly, I'd been getting a different feeling entirely from my end of the pond (I'm living in Germany now) and feel hugely embarrassed everytime I see Cameron next to stronger-looking or more admirable politicians. Merkel could punch his lights out, Obama is a black Jesus Christ, and Berlusconi may be a ****, but he makes you laugh uproariously with every spit-in-your-face-democracy scandal. Cameron looks like a wet rag, a cold, dead fish, a pasty-faced ponce who will sail through because everyone assumes a posh education and right-of-centre attitude means you MUST know what you're doing. He comes across to me like a symptom of the British problem.

But still, what do you guys feel about him? Are you happier when he's around? When you look at him, do you get that 'Yeah... we're going somewhere' feeling?

No, i don't like him, and it's not because he's a tory. I think he's a decent enough politician, sure, but as a Prime Minister? You're quite right VivisQueen, he's embarrassing compared to so many other politicians you see. Granted, he only hasn't got as much power here in scotland compared to england, so i can't be as critical as others, but i've not really had any positive things to say in regards to his leadership to date. £9000 student tuitions? Sacking military forces whilst they are away fighting?(i think this was him anyways) Ok sure, there is the increased income you can earn now before being taxed, hoorah, but that's one positive thing against...what, how many bad?

Saying that, we are mostly stuck with the SNP, so we have the GLORIOUS Alex Salmond (/sarcasm) to deal with, and for another 4-5 years as well no less. He wants to do a referendum for independence mid-way through that as well, but the polls for this won't change too much, so i expect he won't get it even then. Sure, he's changed his idea for it, we'll still be under the Queen, some things will be shared with the english government, but most of it will be only under Scottish control but really? He's a fool for even considering it, specially at this time.

That's me finishing derailing >.> moving back to Cameron, i don't like him, end off

I do not like David Cameron or the current Conservative goverment as they arn't Conservatives, they seem like Liberals. Might be the reason why i have been interested in UK Idependence Party.

Cameron is an utter prat, and a liar too. This country is worse off for having him in charge. Brown was better than him, though admittedly Brown wasn't that bad anyway, he was just the fall guy for the recession when it was not his responsibility and more than any other politician.

THey go on about Cuts, cuts, what cuts? WE are still borowing huge sums of cash and we are still wasting a massive sum of money on utter **** like the eu and forign aid and many other things. but thank god he is not labour. Labour ruined this country.

Mutsumi said:
Cameron is an utter prat, and a liar too. This country is worse off for having him in charge. Brown was better than him, though admittedly Brown wasn't that bad anyway, he was just the fall guy for the recession when it was not his responsibility and more than any other politician.

You've gotta be kiding me, right?

When he was voted as PM (of a hung parliament) people said he was too young for the role, not experienced enough to run the country.. and i agree to an extent with this.

My views have changed over the past few years, years back i was a tory supporter because of the policies and way they where planning on changing the UK for the "better".

After the scandalous traits of all politicians (expenses scandal) all of them where automatically as bad as each other. Brown didn't have a bloody clue and i hated the man, the best thing he did in his time as PM was to quit and to stand down from party leader. Labour used to stand for the working class, but over the years they've messed up withngs further and further. The financial f*** up was down to wall street so people who blame labour for the debt we are now in are naive fools. whoever won the election would have had to increase tax's to pay off our debts, its a fact of life that you can't just brush debt under a carpet and forget about it.

The reason i voted them in was because i wasn't going to sit by and let labour take the piss any longer, the lib dems had a good idea with some of their policies but the one that tipped me away rom them was the no cap on immigration, its already a bloody problem and they wanted to let more people in? its fine when they are legally here and pay tax's like the rest, but there was too many pol's coming across, working the jobs the lazy people of the UK refused to do (can't knock them for trying to better themselves and especially doing the shite jobs we wouldn't) But there's hundreds of thousands of immigrants who aren't legally here, who aren't providing the country with tax money or working, just sat on their arses doing sweet FA and to have no cap on immigration, we'd only make that worse :/

So i voted tory, though as i said at the beginning, my views have changed since the election. All politicians are corrupt, nobody really wanted to help the country or its people, its a polularity contest to be the "head boy" and sit comfortably at the top till the next election. Not really helping people.

If i could, i'd put a white van man driver take control. they are what i'd call "the commoner critics of the UK" let em have control for a weeka nd see what happens (can't change laws because laws are made by judges and passed through parliament so no worries about him creating stupid laws) he'd probably reduce tax, tell people to f*** off who don't like the UK (google search the protesters in luton last year who where spouting vile horrible hatred towards british troops on a return home trip)

If only they employed someone to go looking through the web, take ideas from the public and then if enough people are wanting the same thing, work towards it.

Pull the plug on useless wastes of money, like eurovision (we actually pay to stay in it.... how pathetic) most of the tax we pay to the EU goes to france, for farming..... f*** the french, they eat bloody frogs legs.... they eat pond critters and we give them the majority of the money for farming? this is craziness!

Heh, liking this thread. A friend of mine once put the current political climate like this, we're back in the 80s again except the music is worse, the films are worse, its just the politics that are unfortunately the same.

My views though, I voted Labour last election and in the local elections a few weeks ago I voted Labour again, I've never liked cameron, always seen him as a snake in the grass. Someone who would act completely different once in power. Sure Gordon Brown wasn't any good, even labour supporters can tell you that.

I mean his cuts have meant that my local area is going to lose roughly half its police force and half its budget. I don't see how you can fight crime and keep the levels low with no bobbies on the street. Like Cameron's views on unemployment, I mean firing people...Yeah that's going to help unemployment isn't it

BlackWolf said:
Heh, liking this thread. A friend of mine once put the current political climate like this, we're back in the 80s again except the music is worse, the films are worse, its just the politics that are unfortunately the same.

My views though, I voted Labour last election and in the local elections a few weeks ago I voted Labour again, I've never liked cameron, always seen him as a snake in the grass. Someone who would act completely different once in power. Sure Gordon Brown wasn't any good, even labour supporters can tell you that.

I mean his cuts have meant that my local area is going to lose roughly half its police force and half its budget. I don't see how you can fight crime and keep the levels low with no bobbies on the street. Like Cameron's views on unemployment, I mean firing people...Yeah that's going to help unemployment isn't it

completely agree, they have made some (understatement already) stupid mistakes.

IMO we should reduce the retirement age to 60. everyone who's unemployed should be trained to work (whether that being an apprentice or half paid work experience or further education) those with the qualifications to get a job should be pooled together, if you have 100 people who all did computer gaming at uni or whatever then goverment gives them funding to create a business (government get a % back off every game sold therefore making them money)

Cut off all benefits except the job seekers (even then you get your bills looked at and they give you enough to pay your bills and abit more for food and clothes... don't forget people will have jobs made for them so job seekers who are on for more than 2 months will stop getting money) all drug and alcohol services are privatised, you have a addiction and can fund £3k worth of drugs a month? you can pay for your rehab, bitch.

Castrate rapists, firing squad to kill murderers, theives are held in prison still.

Let me be in charge, i'd sort this mess out.

How can we be back in the 80s politcally Cameron is nowhere as good as a leader as Margert Thatcher, shame her Cabinet stabbed her in the back.

Boris Johnson as Prime Minister HHMMM?

All this blame is put on Brown for the recession though, but I just don't buy it. The recession was caused by reckless lending in the US by banks in which much money was invested. Brown may have been unelected, and he may not have done anything noteworthy as PM, but he is not to blame for the recession or for the UK's debts. To be honest, Tony Blair would be more to blame for the UK's debt than Gordon Brown, but because Brown was in charge when the **** hit the fan, he has had the blame lumped on him.

@Tachi: Jobseekers allowance is a pittance, as it the rest of the benefit system, unless you breed. Have a kid and you'll get enough benefits to live comfy. The current system does not pay you enough to cover your bills otherwise.

Mutsumi said:
All this blame is put on Brown for the recession though, but I just don't buy it. The recession was caused by reckless lending in the US by banks in which much money was invested. Brown may have been unelected, and he may not have done anything noteworthy as PM, but he is not to blame for the recession or for the UK's debts. To be honest, Tony Blair would be more to blame for the UK's debt than Gordon Brown, but because Brown was in charge when the **** hit the fan, he has had the blame lumped on him.

hey read what i put before, i said it wasn't browns fault, that it was the wall street thing in america.

@Tachi: Jobseekers allowance is a pittance, as it the rest of the benefit system, unless you breed. Have a kid and you'll get enough benefits to live comfy. The current system does not pay you enough to cover your bills otherwise.

Well what i was saying was, i'd cut down ALL benefits except jb seekers, therefore being able to apportion more money to people on job seekers. remember this is in my little world, all the ways things are done right now don't happen.

SO the job seekers would be on a case by case basis (investigation into the persons bills and usual food bills = job seekers money) but that benefit would only last 2 months, after that people either get a job, apprentiship or further education to get a job (whilst getting a further education they keep their allowance, as soon as they have atleas 5 a-c at gcse and english speaking and writting would be compulsory) my idea is to make people work again, no more lazy people living off the state. change it so that its survival of the fittest again.

You don't work? you get job seekers for 2 months then its cut off, no child benefits because people would just have loads of kids and live off the state... forget that. retirement age is 60 so no dinosaurs taking jobs that young people should/could do, close down on criminals, either castrate rapists or kill murderers, i don't see a point to prison... kill em off.

in my world, we'd be out of debt in no time and people would obey the laws or end up fighting the system and losing.

Tachi- said:
(can't change laws because laws are made by judges and passed through parliament so no worries about him creating stupid laws)

lolwut? No, the Government white papers give Parliament a basis to legislate. The Judges then apply the law in the Courts; they don't "make" law. The three arms of the law are seperate (The Judiciary, The Legislator, and The Executive).

The closest thing Judges do to 'make' law is by setting precedents through the common law, which can be avoided or ignored by higher courts anyway. Did you really think unelected Judges make law for this country? That's why we vote our Government in; they make the laws! (They should have a majority in Parliament, and thus will win to vote new laws through).

Sorry, after studying Law for 2 years now, I just can't let things like that slip by.

/rant over.

what i'm talking about is, you'd investigate and have witnesses and everything points in the direction of mone guy killing someone, then yeah kill em. The cases where its not so clear if they are or not guilty then do lie tests, psychologists involved, witnesses if possible, make sure you get 100% to the end of it before killing them.

as for the fighting the system then you lose... thats more to do with if your a idiot who's mugged others, stolen, been a thug, intimidating people for personal gain. (surely you know what group i'm talking about, the ones who are just a trouble for society) i'd have them thrown in prison, want to know whats f***ed up? if you claim your guilty.... you get less time in prison. WTF you've confessed you did wrong, lets let you out earlier? if you say your guilty then IMO you should be locked up for longer.

Do the crime, get the time. understand you did wrong? gunna be locked up for long.

as for the judge thing, i heard that from a friend, though we where drunk and it was 3am so i may have got that confused)

Mutsumi said:

Brown may not have caused the recession but he did sell off our gold reserves on the cheap.

mangaman74 said:
Mutsumi said:

Brown may not have caused the recession but he did sell off our gold reserves on the cheap.

I agree with you that that was a damn stupid thing of him to do.

On the unemployment issue, i'm currently getting £12 a week...and my financee isn't working full time, trying to pay bills (gas, eletric and water rates) is hard enough as it is. Tach your idea of cutting benefits would badly affect more people then it should, after all I'm having a really, really hard time getting accepted for jobs in supermarkets and I can't afford education now (especially with the tution fee fisaco).

Some times I think it's true what they say about job hunting, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Yes we need to clamp down on all the ones who aren't looking for work, but there's no need to penalise the ones who are looking for work and having no luck because the market is cut-throat.

Oh and the 80's comment only really works I guess depending on your views, I think the 80s tories screwed the country over royally, so I see now a parallel to that.

Tachi- said:
what i'm talking about is, you'd investigate and have witnesses and everything points in the direction of mone guy killing someone, then yeah kill em. The cases where its not so clear if they are or not guilty then do lie tests, psychologists involved, witnesses if possible, make sure you get 100% to the end of it before killing them.

Witnesses? The most obvious people to potentially lie? I'd have understood you more if you'd said a Forensics team or something akin; but even this cannot be 100% accurate! And as for lie tests and getting psychologists involved, that will nearly invariably fail. Imagine, even as a professional, knowing that if you say "He's lying", he will get killed. That pressure is enough to make anyone doubt themselves.

(Note: You will be hard pushed to get a conviction based on witness testimony due to Eye-witness Testimony [EWT] being so inaccurate! There have been many studies on EWT and all have shown it to be very unreliable. That's why you need hard evidence; not just circumstancial evidence)

Tachi- said:
want to know whats f***ed up? if you claim your guilty.... you get less time in prison. WTF you've confessed you did wrong, lets let you out earlier? if you say your guilty then IMO you should be locked up for longer.

Do the crime, get the time. understand you did wrong? gunna be locked up for long.

What? How is that bad? If you confess to the crime you admit wrong, and thus you've (theoretically) done work to reform, and get a lesser sentance. If you say 'Plead guilty then get a longer sentance' then surely everyone will lie and plead not guilty so to be sure of a shorter sentance? No; saying that owning up to a crime is a bad thing and should be punished is ludicrous i'm sorry.

Back