Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's a case of wanting to share the facts I have to go digging for, given most mainstream British media is hand in hand with the Tories. I'd be quite happy to not have to focus so much effort on it but these are dangerous times.

I'm actually shocked by how apathetic younger Brits are about what's happening here. No offence but getting worked up about something like this seems far saner than the consistent anger some here can display over something as trivial as choice of case for an anime release.

I'm actually shocked by how apathetic younger Brits are about what's happening here. No offence but getting worked up about something like this seems far saner than the consistent anger some here can display over something as trivial as choice of case for an anime release.
Well this is an anime forum rather than a politics forum. Also I think in the wider sense, younger Brits are probably more concerned with being able to make a living wage and pay their ludicrously high rent without drowning in debt than they are the international projects of an out-of-touch boomer elite who are doing nothing to help them.

Well this is an anime forum rather than a politics forum. Also I think in the wider sense, younger Brits are probably more concerned with being able to make a living wage and pay their ludicrously high rent without drowning in debt than they are the international projects of an out-of-touch boomer elite who are doing nothing to help them.

It is an anime forum, yes, and I respect that many when logged in here are to discuss that and escape life for a bit. But we're still people beyond that, hence why there are areas like this for wider discussion.

Though it's funny you highlight living wage since many here seem to have the funds to drop on tons of titles and travel cross country for cinema screenings. All stuff which would imply they have generous budgets.

The EU was a great concept but it's led to certain big countries powermongering and that in turn leads to resentment. I expect it to start crumbling too and given other countries comments, especially their general populace, it seems we have made a very popular choice.

Not talking about just this occasion. I spend a lot of time keeping tabs on this and most folks I share it with tell me they haven't seen the info in papers or on TV.
No surprise there papers sales have been declining for years and most people get there news fix via the Internet as suppose to Tv.

The EU was a great concept but it's led to certain big countries powermongering and that in turn leads to resentment. I expect it to start crumbling too and given other countries comments, especially their general populace, it seems we have made a very popular choice.

Not really. Brexit has made us an international joke, especially on the continent where support for EU has surged.

If people don't agree with me, fine. But I think some have fallen for the notion the EU is dying when Brexit has proven the opposite. You only have to look at our key trade allies who say they want nothing to do with us if we throw away our role as an EU entry point.

Not really. Brexit has made us an international joke, especially on the continent where support for EU has surged.
No it hasn't the VVD lost 8 seats in the Dutch general election there far right opponents the PVV gained 5 Seats the National Front is set to gain a lot of seats in the French general election maybe even win what part of the shouts out support for the EU to you.

If people don't agree with me, fine. But I think some have fallen for the notion the EU is dying when Brexit has proven the opposite. You only have to look at our key trade allies who say they want nothing to do with us if we throw away our role as an EU entry point.
which ones are laughing because The USA, China, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, India, Turkey to name a few want trade deals with the Uk.

which ones are laughing because The USA, China, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, India, Turkey to name a few want trade deals with the Uk.
If you think those trade deals will work in our favour, you're sadly mistaken. Essentially they're lining up to abuse us...

If you think those trade deals will work in our favour, you're sadly mistaken. Essentially they're lining up to abuse us...
There lining up because they won't a trade deal without having to jump through a million hoops which doing trade deal with the EU is like. The only ones not lining up are the 27 members of the EU and that's because they EU won't let them.

It is an anime forum, yes, and I respect that many when logged in here are to discuss that and escape life for a bit. But we're still people beyond that, hence why there are areas like this for wider discussion.
Yeah, and those posts about anime happen in the anime section. It's entirely possible people care about politics but don't discuss it here.

Though it's funny you highlight living wage since many here seem to have the funds to drop on tons of titles and travel cross country for cinema screenings. All stuff which would imply they have generous budgets.
Hence my use of the term "in the wider sense". Also, I'm not quite sure what you're implying by highlighting this, that well off people should care more about the EU or that I'm lying and young people are all well off?

Yeah, and those posts about anime happen in the anime section. It's entirely possible people care about politics but don't discuss it here.

Hence my use of the term "in the wider sense". Also, I'm not quite sure what you're implying by highlighting this, that well off people should care more about the EU or that I'm lying and young people are all well off?
Given some of the stances and budgets I see flaunted here, I often wonder how different my circumstances are from others. My family never had a lot of money and even as an adult just turned 31 I'm still hardly rolling in it. Some here strike me as coming from better backgrounds and not appreciating what they have.

If anything I'm arguing the less well off should care about the EU because they're the ones defending are human rights and protections May and the Tories are eager to shred. The fact last time I attacked May here she got defended likewise makes me assume some here come from money backgrounds.

This whole idea that the world is knocking at our door for trade deals is a lie. We were the way into the lucrative EU market. Now we're a pissy little island with no clout
If a island full of people magically sprouted up from the seas every country in the world would try and sell there crap to it never mind the 5th largest economy in the world.

Given some of the stances and budgets I see flaunted here, I often wonder how different my circumstances are from others. My family never had a lot of money and even as an adult just turned 31 I'm still hardly rolling in it. Some here strike me as coming from better backgrounds and not appreciating what they have.

If anything I'm arguing the less well off should care about the EU because they're the ones defending are human rights and protections May and the Tories are eager to shred. The fact last time I attacked May here she got defended likewise makes me assume some here come from money backgrounds.
I've never been incredibly well off, but I've had periods of my life where I've been comfortable and periods where I've been in pretty dire straits. Right now it's somewhere in-between. I have extended family who are both much better off and much worse off than me, and certainly I live in an area that's not remotely well off.

You've talked a bit about the impacts on global trade and the financial sector - I can tell you that these are not things poor people think are doing them any good and I'm inclined to agree. Free trade just causes a race to the bottom for wages and companies move wherever they can squeeze the most profit out of people and pay the least tax. Perhaps if we had actually instituted a "fortress Europe", produced goods in Europe for consumption in Europe and put massive tarrifs on imports from outside the EU, poorer workers who've seen their jobs lost and their wages stagnate would have be more inclined to feel positive towards it. Things like TTIP for instance just show the EU is not really interested in protecting the jobs of the people they're meant to represent. Things like the mandatory privatisation of the Greek public sector show the EU is not particularly interested in protecting their welfare.

I think the truth about the EU is that it was a noble endeavour which ultimately, like most western governments of the late 20th Century, has just been corroded by neoliberalism and pressure from the financial sector into going along with a globalist agenda that favours the very wealthy. I think it probably will collapse, and I don't think that will result in the poor becoming any poorer. I think they know this, and it's why quite a lot of them voted for Brexit.

I'm not sure where you're getting the whole we're a joke on the continent for Brexit from... That's not what I hear from friends & family who work as long distance lorry & van drivers who go over there every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back