Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/cleaverslips/status ... 9779338240

That was always going to be the best result of brexit.

Incidentally, who do people here think should be the next leader of the Conservative Party and thus (until the next general election at least) of the country?
Candidates so far really don't look promising. There's disgraced former defence secretary who believes in "the Union" of the UK in a sense of "England says what to do and if the rest don't like it they should just shut up" Liam Fox, there's Jeremy Hunt, about whom no more needs to be said, there's "somehow he managed to get the result he campaigned for but doesn't really want and in so doing betray both sides of the campaign and himself" Boris Johnson, there's "let's make this a police state" Theresa May... and then there's "noone really knows who he is but he's not one of the other lot at least" Stephen Crabb.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Incidentally, who do people here think should be the next leader of the Conservative Party and thus (until the next general election at least) of the country?
Candidates so far really don't look promising. There's disgraced former defence secretary who believes in "the Union" of the UK in a sense of "England says what to do and if the rest don't like it they should just shut up" Liam Fox, there's Jeremy Hunt, about whom no more needs to be said, there's "somehow he managed to get the result he campaigned for but doesn't really want and in so doing betray both sides of the campaign and himself" Boris Johnson, there's "let's make this a police state" Theresa May... and then there's "noone really knows who he is but he's not one of the other lot at least" Stephen Crabb.

Out of that batch, Liam Fox is probably the best candidate. He comes across reasonably well in public, and is actually a doctor, so he's probably the least stupid candidate from the batch. Aside from him, everyone else is a complete disaster. Boris will probably win though (unfortunately).

I think it will come down to either Theresa or Boris, unless the Tories block Boris by shortlisting someone like Liam Fox instead, kinda like what they did to Michael Portillo back in 2001.

HellCat said:
For me right now, just wondering why parliament doesn't just ignore the result and go with the fact this is killing the country. I appreciate the EU is making that next to impossible. I appreciate people would riot. I appreciate we're seeing political power games. I appreciate I'm asking for something very dangerous to the future of future votes.

But there's a common sense solution that no one is entertaining.
While personally I might think it is indeed common sense to hang the politicians from Westminster Bridge like christmas lights I'm not sure they or the people who believe in the democratic process would think the same. And I'm fairly confident that would be the result of ignoring or overturning this vote.

I think perhaps people are just seeing what they want to see and overreacting quite a lot - Everything is based on speculation until we actually have a exit talks, it's far too early to say if this is "killing the country". It might in fact end up killing the EU.

As for PM, I don't really care because they'll all be much of a muchness. Corbyn is finally purging the Blairites from the Labour Party though, and for me that makes up for everything that's happened over the last few days.

mrclt1994 said:
I think it will come down to either Theresa or Boris, unless the Tories block Boris by shortlisting someone like Liam Fox instead, kinda like what they did to Michael Portillo back in 2001.

Don't know much about British politics except for the names which appear in media in Belgium to, like Boris Johnson for instance. But not always, well almost never for his political achievements ;)

But didn't Cameron actually check mated Johnson ?

Not sure if this has already been linked to, but this is an interesting article?

I think Johnson's chances have been hurt, but only because it's generally considered that Boris didn't actually particularly want Brexit. It's worth considering, though, that he has fallen on slightly and from a very high position, and that his former presumptive rival (Osborne) has pulled out of the contest entirely.
Any genuinely committed Brexit supporter will stand a good chance and indeed have been boosted by this outcome - so long as they are able to keep the Conservative Party united. Which is easier than one might think.

In other news:
- John Baron, the man who was the main pressuriser for the referendum to go ahead in the first place, has announced that he is to stand for Tory leader (there certainly seem to be enough candidates...). He's as much a rebel on the right in the Tories as Corbyn was on the left of Labour.
- The PLP has voted that they have no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn by 172 to 40 with 4 spoilt ballots.

*edit: corrected 4 abstentions to 4 spoilt ballots. There were 13 who did not vote.

A recent poll is putting Theresa May as the first preference of Conservative Members (29%) just 1 % point above Boris Johnson. I think that, while May did support remain, she distanced herself enough from speaking on it enough so that even those that voted leave probably won't mind her being the next leader.

As for Jeremy Corbyn, I want him to stay as I'd really rather not see the PLP get their way lol.

One of the most distressing things about all this for me has been the discounting of youth in our country. You would not believe how many horrible comments I've read from pro-Brexiters in the past week who believe teenagers and such don't deserve a say in this, that they're too stupid to understand the issue, that the oldest of the country deserve to decide it, etc.

I turned 30 this year. Not old exactly but ahead of some. I begrudge heavily the silencing of my generation and the one coming up behind it who will have to find some way to make this work if it passes. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind this other than stubborn British pride, especially since everyone for Leave I've spoken to has said things like "We need to make it work like our grandparents did", '"We bounced back after 2008, didn't we?", etc

For one, we were still obviously in the EU when the recession hit. Secondly, the world has changed vastly since the days of our grandparents and holding onto rose tinted notions like that is simply delusional. What happens to our economy if Scotland, Ireland and Gibraltar exit, for instance?

I feel all this referendum has achieved is revealing a very ugly and misguided side to our country. One with a lot of shouting and prejudice but little to any actual thought. Probably didn't help this has played out during Euro 2016, a time when most of the country is firmly in 'us vs Europe' mentality and seem far more concerned with England getting kicked out of that then the actual EU itself.

I think it's critical that those of us who wish to remain unite together. Write to your MP, follow the news, etc. This has the capability to be one of the most stupid decisions in UK history and it's vital we act now while history is being shaped.

st_owly said:
Just paid for my ANN subscription and Paypal's exchange rate was $1.28 = £1.... No importing for me for a while.

Wow. The rate has been stable for a few days at $1.32. You've been ripped off. :eek:

NormanicGrav said:
st_owly said:
Just paid for my ANN subscription and Paypal's exchange rate was $1.28 = £1.... No importing for me for a while.

Wow. The rate has been stable for a few days at $1.32. You've been ripped off. :eek:
I seriously hate PayPal and their exchange rates. It's always below the proper exchange rate even with the yen.

£1 = $1.30 | €1.17 | 131.32¥
$1 = 77p
€1 = 85p
¥100 = 76p

WNYen60l.jpg

For the first time in ages I checked out Ganota.com, a Japanese Gundam fansite....was surprised to find a thread about Brexit on there, with the posts comparing it to the various schisms and backstabs across the franchise. Some are quite blunt, like comparing it to Amuro being immature and running off with the RX-78-2. Others are more polite, saying we're like Treize leaving OZ.

Advocate we build gigantic thrusters and fly the UK right next to Japan.

Right now it's the painless answer to the currency problem.

HellCat said:
Advocate we build gigantic thrusters and fly the UK right next to Japan.
That requires capital investment! State spending! Guess which political party dislikes that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back