Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm afraid were stuck with the Tories for the foreseeable as Labour are still an utter shambles and unelectable.

Last edited:
You're right. Not being a citizen of the world she's probably not keeping up to date with what other wannabe dictators are doing.

Hillary isn't a Saint you know, and I feel war with someone like Russia is more likely with her in charge than Trump.....

I've read the transcript of the speech and this whole citizenship of the world business isn't even aimed at remain voters or ordinary people, it's aimed at multinationals who dodge their tax.

We also value something else: the spirit of citizenship. That spirit that means you do as others do, and pay your fair share of tax. But today, too many people in positions of power behave as though they have more in common with international elites than with the people down the road, the people they employ, the people they pass in the street.

If you believe you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere. You don't understand what the very word citizenship means.

That to me says that because these multinationals don't pay the tax due in the countries they operate is because they believe they are a citizen of the world and therefore a citizen of nowhere and don't see the need/will to pay their fair share of taxes like ordinary citizens.

That to me says that because these multinationals don't pay the tax due in the countries they operate is because they believe they are a citizen of the world and therefore a citizen of nowhere and don't see the need/will to pay their fair share of taxes like ordinary citizens.

If Theresa May genuinely thought that, why hasn't she announced plans to revoke all of treaties/agreements that prevent "double taxation".

And since our government is arguably taking steps to reduce the tax burden on businesses and perhaps become a "tax haven", maybe we shouldn't talk?

So the Pound crashed again albeit with a small recovery. The worst is still yet to come, I just don't see how the sterling can recover from this battering anytime in the next few years. It's not like we leave the EU in March, we only start the process and yet it's already this bad. Also those MPs that think the UK won't be made an example of are surely out of their mind. The worse an outcome for the UK leaving the EU the better for the EU and it's lasting longevity.

This sucks. I'm getting closer and closer to buying a bunch of hard drives and being done with it lol

So the Pound crashed again albeit with a small recovery. The worst is still yet to come, I just don't see how the sterling can recover from this battering anytime in the next few years. It's not like we leave the EU in March, we only start the process and yet it's already this bad. Also those MPs that think the UK won't be made an example of are surely out of their mind. The worse an outcome for the UK leaving the EU the better for the EU and it's lasting longevity.

The worst thing about this is how unnecessary it seemed. Someone makes a speech saying we can't have one thing without another, repeating exactly what everyone prior to them has said and suddenly the markets all panic? For people that are meant to read trends and look into the future they sure do have goldfish memories. We already knew everything that was said, if anything the PM's speech at the weekend should of triggered a drop as it was new info confirming we might forgo some things, not this old hat news.

May has panicked and pissed off a lot of people. The global community has not taken kindly to the comments made at the conference. Even Germany, who spent the summer sticking up for us, have given up (likely down to the Tories basically advocating Nazi segregation of foreign citizens and their families).

May is killing the UK, all by a false mandate and MPs who are too cowardly to honour their principles.

Well why stick your neck out when you can suck the blood of others?

If their bodies are broken from a savage beating ment for you, then it's just easier to get the straw in and start sucking.

Just promise me if Scotland gets a good deal out of this I can come live there. Having a British accent I can be the village idiot.

Those comments on citizenship are interesting. I'd have said that being a "citizen of the world" would actually be a goal we should be aiming for, where we don't limit ourselves to supporting those who happen to be on the right side of an arbitrary line on a map and instead try to work together with everyone. I don't feel that I have a greater obligation to support someone who lives next door to me than to support someone who lives in a far off country. I may have more opportunity to support someone local but I don't think anyone is inherently more important/worthy based on where they are or where they're from.

That said, if being a citizen means having to do as others do then I'm not sure I'd want to be a citizen at all. I expect that phrase wasn't intended to be taken too literaly but it does have some potential unfortunate implications.

I think it's especially interesting when you consider the Conservative party is primarily about encouraging competition and economic development, with a focus on personal opportunity and gain. Paying as little tax as possible and maximising profits are likely to be high on the list of things that Conservative party members/voters want. If Theresa May really believes that we should all be pooling our resources and cooperating to make a better life for as many people as we can (even if she thinks that's best limited to those within our borders), then maybe she's in the wrong party.

I have to admit, I find the idea of an "international elite" both amusing and depressing. I did think it was interesting that the phrasing of the comments seem to suggest that such a thing does exist and that some people incorrectly consider themselves a part of it, rather than dismissing the idea itself as foolish. The suggestion would be that Theresa May genuinely believes there are some people who should rightly consider themselves superior and above the concerns of other people. I wonder if that's another case of poor choice of wording, though if it's not then I wonder who she'd consider to be this "international elite".

Theresa May rules out Commons vote on single market exit

Stuff like this is terrifying. May and her buffoons have hijacked this and whenever she is called out she calls it an attempt to block the will of the people.

It's government working for no one but themselves. The miserable old hag.

I'm firmly in the Remain camp and I'm somewhat horrified at the Tories' recent behaviour, but I think you're being a little melodramatic. Some of this is likely May putting on bravado to try and improve her negotiating stance. If the EU genuinely believes she might go without single market access (something they will gain benefit from us having), they'll be more inclined to offer her a deal in line with what she's after, whereas if the EU thinks the UK will be weak-willed and accept whatever crap gets thrown at it for single market access, we'll be offered a crap deal. Preventing a Commons vote on the matter eliminates the possibility of the Commons ruining the impression she's trying to give off and making it seem like the UK is desperate for single market access. I think we need to wait for negotiations to actually begin, and for it to actually be a complete disaster before we start smashing the place up.

Plus, the government gains literally nothing from not having access to the single market. It's not really working for itself, so much as working for a bunch of people with incredibly poor judgement.

Some of it may be positioning but May is definitely being serious when she says that, given the 2-way choice between restricting free movement of labour and having access to the single market, she would go with the former every time.

It's also definitely true that she cares the least for individual freedoms of any Prime Minister during my lifetime, and sees the economy as a lower priority than any of the others too (I was born while Thatcher was PM).

To her the best things about the EU are stuff like the shared crime databases, not our ability to trade freely.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's melodramatic to be worried. May and her band have done nothing but damage and only an idiot would sit on their hands until negotiations start.

If she wants to show will of the people, she wouldn't take a binary referendum to make up whatever policies she wants and then shut out our elected parliament.

The fact that Sturgeon's fired the gun on Indyref2 basically says everything in regards to what Holyrood thought of Wednesday and the Tory Conduct forthwith.

If nothing else, that's a complete vote of no confidence against May (Not that we gave Westminster much of that during the lifetime of the Scottish Parlement, not that it was deserved at any point after Major).

It's a bold step but one that needs to happen. May isn't a leader. She's a bitter little troll who has surrounded herself with likewise and is dragging us to ruin. The claims Nissan will be bribed with taxpayer money while the NHS won't receive a penny more say a lot.

A second Scottish referendum is a needed step. Sturgeon gave May every chance to respect Scotland's vote and place at the table and she didn't. Independence is her goal but by doing this she speaks for many of us in the UK.

Scotland's buggered if they go independent. They think European immigration is a good thing? Wait till 10 million English show up at the border seeking asylum! I'll be one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back